Sign in to follow this  
Boffoon

Parking in St Malo

Hi all

I plan to park at st malo and travel to portsmouth to meet my wife as a foot passenger.

We will come back on the return overnight crossing.

Do you know if there will be a charge forn parking and what it might be?

Many thanks in advance

10€ per day, if I remember correctly. Come off the roundabout as if you're heading for the vehicle check-in, then take an immediate sharp right turn.

If you want to avoid the charge, you should be able to park behind the swimming pool, just south of the ferry marshalling area.

As Colin says above, whenever I've left my car in St Malo to travel as a foot passenger to the UK or Channel Islands I've always used the 'Parking Port des Bas Sablons', on the left as you leave the roundabout to head to check - in. It has always been free and I've never not found a space. I've left my car there for up to a week with no problems. Not any more however! When I was there in mid - October I discovered that at some point since last December it has become a pay and display car park. The cost is €3.60 max. for up to 24 hours and if you leave your car at 7am on a Saturday like I did you don't need to take it out until Monday at 9am as Sundays (as well as lunchtime and public holidays) are free. Sadly this is now likely to lessen the chance of my choosing to travel via St Malo with BF as the only alternative is to pay €10 per day for the port car park outside the terminal which will add a considerable extra cost to the price of the crossing. It won't matter so much for Jersey etc as most trips over there are at weekends or bank holidays and taking the car for longer stays is often included in an offer for €50 extra. Aside from trying to park on one of the streets, if I can find a space, does anyone have any other tips to share with me? And just out of interest, are Cherbourg, Roscoff, Ouistreham and Le Havre still free? Thanks. Ed. 

1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

And just out of interest, are Cherbourg, Roscoff, Ouistreham and Le Havre still free? Thanks. Ed. 

Parking in Ouistreham is now chargeable:

Duration Fee
Up to 2 hours FREE
2-6 hours 1.50 Euros/hour
6-14 hours 0.80 Euros/hour
14-24 hours 5 Euros
Additional 24 hours 5 Euros
7 days 25 Euros
After 7 days 3 Euros/day
30 days 75 Euros
After 30 days 1.50 Euros/day
Lost ticket 100 Euros

Thanks Andy. I see where you got that from and have found the information for the others. Cherbourg is still free, as is Roscoff. Le Havre looks to be free but it's not explicitly stated. Ed. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Good one Ed - I’m sure Buffoon will find your helpful reply very timely! :)

Well, if his wife is anything like mine she'll be late arriving so my advice might be just be what he needs! :D

I was going to start a new thread for the information/question but then found one already existed, so piggy-back onto it. Ed

The car park behind the piscine is now part of the St Malo wide pay car park system. The parking at the Sablons marina is still free, although, in season, large sections are badge access only for berth holders, and this can mean it is hard to find a space.

• Thanks 1