Danish Ferry Person

DFDS SEAWAYS: News & Updates

Here we are again, the bi annually DFDS ship refit. Just a heads up.

Newcastle goes to one ship operation between December 28th and Febuary 15th - this is the refit for both vessels I think King, goes first, leaving the route on the 28th and then on Jan 2nd heads over to Esbjerg to de store and then head to Fredrikshaven or Odense. If she goes to Gdansk she will maybe de store in Copenhagen rather than Esbjerg. Last time she went to Fredrikshaven or Odese but I can't remember and stopped of at Esbjerg, but if I remember rightly no freight was carried on the sailing because of insurance reasons or something.

I am not sure about the Oslo ferries, but they last went in 2014 so they will have to go in 2016 so they will probably go in Febuary. I read an article earlier and it mentioned that Crown is off from 10th March to 31st of March in Lindo, so I assume Pearl we be something like 31st of January to the 25th of Febuary. I was reading that Patria Seaways may cover for them so a 2 ship operation can be kept up.

For Baltic ships, I don't know but I do know Rodin and Berlioz have been delayed until Febuary, it is on the Travel Updates on the DFDS page. If anyone has any news please share.

Here we are again, the bi annually DFDS ship refit. Just a heads up.

Newcastle goes to one ship operation between December 28th and Febuary 15th - this is the refit for both vessels I think King, goes first, leaving the route on the 28th and then on Jan 2nd heads over to Esbjerg to de store and then head to Fredrikshaven or Odense. If she goes to Gdansk she will maybe de store in Copenhagen rather than Esbjerg. Last time she went to Fredrikshaven or Odese but I can't remember and stopped of at Esbjerg, but if I remember rightly no freight was carried on the sailing because of insurance reasons or something.

I am not sure about the Oslo ferries, but they last went in 2014 so they will have to go in 2016 so they will probably go in Febuary. I read an article earlier and it mentioned that Crown is off from 10th March to 31st of March in Lindo, so I assume Pearl we be something like 31st of January to the 25th of Febuary. I was reading that Patria Seaways may cover for them so a 2 ship operation can be kept up.

For Baltic ships, I don't know but I do know Rodin and Berlioz have been delayed until Febuary, it is on the Travel Updates on the DFDS page. If anyone has any news please share.

Mr Danish Person, I assume that the two ships which service Gothenburg wont be docked until 2017 due to their extended lay off including filters over the winter of 2014/15?

As far as I know the Immingham-Gothenburg route is the only way in which it is vaguely possible to cross to Scandinavia on a scheduled ferry, as a passenger. Progress indeed!

Thanks for the information about the refits, I hope the Newcastle ships are around for a while yet.

DFDS don't service Gothenburg for passenger, for freight I don't know.

Sorry i was thinking of the Oslo ships which had filters last winter.

Are the King and Princess Seaways getting / or have got scrubbers? I'm not sure here.

No Nick, neither have... Interesting to read that when DFDS secured the short term charter of Stena Nordica (now Malo Seaways), the yard in Dunkerque re configured her engines to run on low sulphur diesel permanently.

Maybe this is their way forward for the English ships?

Edited by jonno
ilit.. illitt... Can't spell!

They both have something. They had new funnels after DFDS took them on.

King Seaways has the same funnel she had when she was at BF, her difference to the other Peter Pan's is her improved Fo'c'sle BF had built on her to cope with the Bay of Biscay... Princess looks identical to when she was at Fjord Line?

The funnel is different at the top. They both had some sort of black spark catcher before but now they don't. Any ideas on new name for King and Princess?

Geordie princess? (pardon the pun)

The funnel is different at the top. They both had some sort of black spark catcher before but now they don't.
They simply had the funnel smoke deflectors removed. This was tied in with the heightening of the funnel so was probably an attempt to improve aft deck smuts, although other ships have had similar adjustments made to save weight or because this free-standing part of the funnel was rusting through and had become dangerous.

Livery looks good on her even if it's photoshopped. I don't think they are keeping any name changes under wraps though. DFDS have already said on Twitter that all current ships will retain their existing name.

On Twitter they told me they had no plans to close Harwich to Esbjerg, two weeks later closure announced.

Yes and I think that speaks volumes for DFDS...

In most cases, BF excepted, the people operating the twitter account will not be privy before the fact to the most important commercial decisions made in the boardroom.

Well as we know all ferry companies can surprise us... Social media is a great way for companies to share what they consider to be good news rather than bad. Route closure is one thing but if a company denies something relatively trivial and positive like a change in naming policy then appears to go back on it then it can be considered damaging to its credibility.

So, one of the Newcastle ships (I think princess) goes off on the 1st of Jan and then the other one (I think King) goes on the 20 something. Again I expect they will either go to Gdansk or Lindoe, maybe Bremerhaven. Crown goes tomorrow I think but doesn't dry dock until the 1st. She will most likely de-store in Copenhagen before heading off to Lindoe or Gdansk. Malo Seaways has been reflagged to UK but I don't know to which port.

Malo Seaways has been reflagged to UK but I don't know to which port.

According to this http://www.meretmarine.com/fr/node/134523:

Exploité depuis le printemps sous pavillon français entre Calais et Douvres, le Malo Seaways va naviguer quelques semaines dans le Détroit en arborant l’Union Jack. Le navire affrété par DFDS à Stena doit en effet, dans le cadre de sa restitution prochaine à son propriétaire, être ré-immatriculé au Royaume-Uni. Cela devrait être chose faite à la fin du mois.

Operating under the French flag between Calais and Dover since the spring, Malo Seaways will spend several weeks on the Straits flying the Union Jack. The ship has been chartered to DFDS from Stena and needs to be re-registered in the United Kingdom as part of the preparations to shortly return her to her owner. This should be done by the end of the month.

It sounds like she is going back to Stena fairly soon. Guess would be registered either in London or Cardiff, but that is pure speculation.

Wonder what they have in store for her? Perhaps Fishguard to Rosslare? Or can one dream of Portsmouth (or Poole, Khaines mentioned they're extending the second berth) to Le Havre (or Cherbourg where they already have a base)?