Danish Ferry Person

DFDS SEAWAYS: News & Updates

4 hours ago, hf_uk said:

I still don't see the point of offset funnels?

Depends what you mean by offset. Both Barfy & Monty have offset funnels, they increase the amount of usable internal space. As long as the balance is right they can be staggered like in the illustration above.

16 minutes ago, jonno said:

Depends what you mean by offset. Both Barfy & Monty have offset funnels, they increase the amount of usable internal space. As long as the balance is right they can be staggered like in the illustration above.

Confused me a little here. So, if you were looking at the ship top down, are you saying one funnel is further forward than the other?

4 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

Confused me a little here. So, if you were looking at the ship top down, are you saying one funnel is further forward than the other?

I've just looked at a lot of photos and they seem parallel to me too - or at least the visible parts are. Ed

Barfy, Monty and Armorique #I, parallel offset funnels, the DFDS new builds have staggered offset funnels.

OK you mean offset from the centre line of the vessel. Now I see. So what do you think is the reason for the DFDS design? Is it because of an internal ramp? Ed. 

Looking at it more closely I don't think it is two funnels... the three pipes above the cross would be further back toward the curved line which in itself is creating an optical illusion. 

If all they have underneath is vehicle deck space there's no reason to stagger them. It's far easier for a hoistable ramp to be located in a different place than it is to fiddle with a vessels freeboard.

Edited by jonno