Andy

Letter of intent signed for "Mont St Michel 2" - Arriving 2019

222 posts in this topic

With a delivery estimate of sometime in 2019 the yard probably won't start on her until next year possibly when space is available after they've finished building one of the RoRo's for FSG's parent company.

BF have been quoted as saying they expect the paperwork to be signed in the Spring, fair enough. Spring Bank Holiday isn't until May 29th, plenty of time yet.

I thought they'd sad the order would be signed by the end of March...

The date of by the end of March this year when BF hoped to sign what may be called a Binding Memorandum of Agreement or contract may have come from an article in "Mer et Marine" quoted earlier in this thread.  

Pity posts no longer seem to be numbered!

Meretmarine reports the Irish Ferries new build was "Ordered at the end of May 2016 for € 144 million".

That seems astonishingly cheap? I am sure I heard talk of the BF new build being in the 200m ballpark, and its considerably smaller... ?

3 hours ago, hf_uk said:

Meretmarine reports the Irish Ferries new build was "Ordered at the end of May 2016 for € 144 million".

That seems astonishingly cheap? I am sure I heard talk of the BF new build being in the 200m ballpark, and its considerably smaller... ?

I think she's to be conventionally powered whereas BF's will be an MFO/LNG hybrid which will incur a premium, she'll probably have more berths too as I.F's is predominantly for the short sea crossing from Dublin to Holyhead.

Have a look at Color Line's recent order being built by Ulstein Verft, she's a battery hybrid, no mention of cost though.

https://ulstein.com/news/2017/color-line-signs-loi-on-the-worlds-largest-hybrid-vessel

12 minutes ago, jonno said:

I think she's to be conventionally powered whereas BF's will be an MFO/LNG hybrid which will incur a premium, she'll probably have more berths too as I.F's is predominantly for the short sea crossing from Dublin to Holyhead.

Have a look at Color Line's recent order being built by Ulstein Verft, she's a battery hybrid, no mention of cost though.

https://ulstein.com/news/2017/color-line-signs-loi-on-the-worlds-largest-hybrid-vessel

I understand the point regarding the LNG costs, although the bunkering solution will be fairly affordable considering the alternatives, (ie. a barge or starting an LNG bunkering farm from scratch). The new IF vessel doesn't appear to be short in terms of berths though, especially considering her intended route as you said.... 1800+ berths, 430+ cabins!

Just had a look at I.F's website, their new girl will have nearly 200 more cabins too. I wonder if BF have opted to lose accommodation for vehicle space as it's separated from the freight deck?

3 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

I understand the point regarding the LNG costs, although the bunkering solution will be fairly affordable considering the alternatives, (ie. a barge or starting an LNG bunkering farm from scratch). The new IF vessel doesn't appear to be short in terms of berths though, especially considering her intended route as you said.... 1800+ berths, 430+ cabins!

Your right hf, she's definitely good value at £112m... Balconies for the top cabins too, nice...

An article in this weeks Irish Independent newspaper in relation to the new Irish Ferries ship saying that the ship will operate Dublin to Holyhead midweek and Dublin to Cherbourg on the weekends .

8 minutes ago, Chef said:

An article in this weeks Irish Independent newspaper in relation to the new Irish Ferries ship saying that the ship will operate Dublin to Holyhead midweek and Dublin to Cherbourg on the weekends .

That's Epsilon schedule which if im correct the new Irish Ferries ship will replace her.  

I hope the new ship can do better than the 19 hours it takes Epsilon .

8 hours ago, Fine Whine said:

Any good reason why ?

Yea , an 19 hour crossing . Compared to 15 hours from Cork to Roscoff 

Edited by Chef

Hi Chef,

The reason I asked the question is if the new ship keeps to the same schedule as Epsilon, then we"re talking about Dublin-Cherbourg which is a considerably longer route than Cork-Roscoff, and any vessel operating that route doesn't need to arrive early as the Pont-Aven does in Roscoff on a Sunday morning. Ask passengers disembarking at 07h00 local time, meaning an 05h00 wake up call Irish time; I'm sure the universal answer would be we'd prefer an extra few hours in bed thank you.

Going back on topic, I like many people assumed the BF new build would have been confirmed by now; I can only assume lenders are still asking for a few more guarantees with the current political uncertainty in the UK. I would imagine signing a letter of intention commits little if any financial impication, whereas once a firm order is signed then in the event of cancellation there would be penalties to pay, as in the case of Pegasis.

Chris

Edited by Fine Whine

16 hours ago, jonno said:

Your right hf, she's definitely good value at £112m... Balconies for the top cabins too, nice...

£112 = €144. Tell me where I can get an exchange rate like that and I'll be there as quick as I can. At €144m it's still very cheap though.

Sounds like a reasonable exchange rate for May 2016 when the price will have been fixed.

There's a nice looking picture of the IF new build on this Mer et Marine page. She's going to be a pretty fancy vessel, directly replacing the Epsilon and her current schedule? I think not; the company are keeping very quiet but you don't build a ferry with so many facilities just to do Dublin - Holyhead during the week and a weekend round trip to Cherbourg; watch this space....-_-

http://www.meretmarine.com/fr/content/flensburger-lance-la-construction-du-nouveau-navire-dirish-ferries

1 person likes this

21 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

Hi Chef,

The reason I asked the question is if the new ship keeps to the same schedule as Epsilon, then we"re talking about Dublin-Cherbourg which is a considerably longer route than Cork-Roscoff, and any vessel operating that route doesn't need to arrive early as the Pont-Aven does in Roscoff on a Sunday morning. Ask passengers disembarking at 07h00 local time, meaning an 05h00 wake up call Irish time; I'm sure the universal answer would be we'd prefer an extra few hours in bed thank you.

Going back on topic, I like many people assumed the BF new build would have been confirmed by now; I can only assume lenders are still asking for a few more guarantees with the current political uncertainty in the UK. I would imagine signing a letter of intention commits little if any financial impication, whereas once a firm order is signed then in the event of cancellation there would be penalties to pay, as in the case of Pegasis.

Chris

Maybe it's just me but I love they early arrival , no point  laying around in the cabin when i can be on the road in France and heading south  .

31 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Sounds like a reasonable exchange rate for May 2016 when the price will have been fixed.

Bought and paid for in Euros so exchange rate not really relevant is it. It does go to show though how in this case membership of the Euro is a positive advantage to both sides when it comes to forward planning.

1 person likes this

Maybe it's just me but I love they early arrival , no point  laying around in the cabin when i can be on the road in France and heading south  .

Yes, probably just you! The only time I tried a very early arrival (Portsmouth Caen) I drove off the ship after several hours of fitful dozing feeling like a zombie and started to fall asleep over the wheel after an hour. I had to pull over and take a nap before feeling fit to continue. I always prefer to start a long drive well rested, you feel better at the other end too.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Fine Whine said:

There's a nice looking picture of the IF new build on this Mer et Marine page. She's going to be a pretty fancy vessel, directly replacing the Epsilon and her current schedule? I think not; the company are keeping very quiet but you don't build a ferry with so many facilities just to do Dublin - Holyhead during the week and a weekend round trip to Cherbourg; watch this space....-_-

http://www.meretmarine.com/fr/content/flensburger-lance-la-construction-du-nouveau-navire-dirish-ferries

Maybe but apart from the cabins she'd need for the Cherbourg route, there's not that much difference between Ulysses.