Andy

mv Honfleur - A new ship for Brittany Ferries - Arriving 2019

386 posts in this topic

Brittany Ferries have today signed a letter of intent for the order of a new LNG powered ferry for the Portsmouth/Caen route.

The ship, code named 'Mont St Michel 2', will be constructed at the Flensburger Schiffbau shipyard in Germany, for delivery in 2019.

"The signing of this letter of intent with Flensburger is a concrete step towards building the next generation of Brittany Ferries. Despite Brexit, we remain confident in our ability to continue to develop and modernize our network of motorways of the sea at the service of tourism and logistics of the regions of the Atlantic Arc."- Christophe Mathieu, Brittany Ferries chairman.

29839_original.jpg.1aea39d100811af9a85194bd72d314d5.jpg

Specifications:

- Length: 185m

- Beam: 31m

- Draft: 6.5m

- GRT: 42,000

- Passengers: 1680

- Cabins: 257

- Garage: 2,600m (130 freight or 550 cars)

- Power: LNG

EDIT: Full press release now available here: http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/pr...ed-ship?page=1

1 person likes this

Great news. That picture reminds me a bit of the color line 'superspeed' ships, which are also good looking vessels.

Great news. That picture reminds me a bit of the color line 'superspeed' ships, which are also good looking vessels.

That she does, even down to the portholes. Great news BF.

Now then, at 185m is she for Ouistreham as the name suggests or for A.N. Other?

That she does, even down to the portholes. Great news BF.

Now then, at 185m is she for Ouistreham as the name suggests or for A.N. Other?

The press release on shippax says Caen. Alongside msm

Assume normandie will leave or move to Le Havre would be my guess

I don't like the blue reverse sheer line I'm afraid. Otherwise a nice modern looking design.

Internally, I can imagine large public spaces. She is larger in terms of tonnage than PA but only 1/3 of the cabins. Could be some really nice open areas!

The passenger to cabin ratio is up on MSM so it shouldn't feel too cramped on board which has been my past experience of the existing vessel. Plus the overall garage space is down on MSM (despite the increased length) so they must be assuming that Normandie will take more freight on the Le Havre run to compensate. The design looks OK but to be honest I'm more interested in the interior layout than what it looks like from the quayside. The only time I'm likely to see it from the water is if it starts sinking and in one of the lifeboats. And in that respect can we reserve spaces in said lifeboats at the time of booking as there don't seem to be very many. I'd rather not have to jump into an inflatable raft if I can help it. Perhaps the lifeboats are for commodore cabin passengers only, in which case I'll pay more to guarantee my place. Ed.

The passenger to cabin ratio is up on MSM so it shouldn't feel too cramped on board which has been my past experience of the existing vessel. Plus the overall garage space is down on MSM (despite the increased length) so they must be assuming that Normandie will take more freight on the Le Havre run to compensate. The design looks OK but to be honest I'm more interested in the interior layout than what it looks like from the quayside. The only time I'm likely to see it from the water is if it starts sinking and in one of the lifeboats. And in that respect can we reserve spaces in said lifeboats at the time of booking as there don't seem to be very many. I'd rather not have to jump into an inflatable raft if I can help it. Perhaps the lifeboats are for commodore cabin passengers only, in which case I'll pay more to guarantee my place. Ed.

I agree. The interior could be really exciting giving the amount of space they appear to have to play with.

On another note - what are the bets that she will surely be named Honfleur?! :) Surely regional officials won't complain with a big shiny expensive new ship taking on the name this time!? :)

I agree. As I posted before when we were discussing the prospect of a new build, I am sure that they have Honfleur up their sleeve. This is why BDS was originally due to be called Honfleur but then changed.

I think Honfleur, nice though it is, will be confused with our Poole friend. Unless she gets the heave ho that is.

Honfleur as also probably the single biggest tourist attraction in the area around Caen, perhaps apart from Arromanches but somehow I can't see BF using the latter.

I think the name may depend on which group finance her, SOMACAL, SENACAL. We may even see a SABECAL... If so Honfleur is a fair bet, maybe even Bayeux?

I like Bayeux... we could all enjoy archery lessons on the helipad although "aye captain!" may take on a different meaning...! ;)

Perhaps a little early to analyse the designs, but on that image, what do you imagine that railing-with-a-box like structure which jets above the curve at the stern is?

Has anyone noticed same shipyard, and very similar timing (and not an entirely dissimilar specced vessel) as the Irish Ferries new order?

When order books were filling up, do you think someone at BF saw the Irish news, and thought "oh, forgot about that place!"?

(https://www.fsg-ship.de/wordpress/en/irish-ferries-orders-new-ropax-at-flensburger/)

Could well have happened.

But it just shows you how organisational procurement is not that different from consumer-level purchasing.

Mrs Smith buys the new Honda Civic and two months later Mrs Jones next door also buys the new Honda Civic. In humans

the herd instinct is very strong (and much more powerful than we care to admit).

1 person likes this

Could be framework/rack for those white cylinders with lifeboats, don't see any in the picture.

Perhaps a little early to analyse the designs, but on that image, what do you imagine that railing-with-a-box like structure which jets above the curve at the stern is?

Could it be a cover for the open deck below to provide somewhere for people to smoke or get some fresh air in foul weather, similar to the sheltered area astern of the bar on Armorique?

The name "Honfleur" is more suitable for services departing from Le Havre. The city of Honfleur is on LH suburbs.

Why not "CALVADOS" fot the new ship ?

The idea of the return of NORMANDIE to Le Havre amuse me a lot... 80 years later.

The same dimensions as Pont Aven apart from slightly less draught but a lot less space inside. So as discussed in other threads does this mean PA would fit Caen?

They are going to do improvement works on the French side to allow the new ship to fit .

1 person likes this

The same dimensions as Pont Aven apart from slightly less draught but a lot less space inside. So as discussed in other threads does this mean PA would fit Caen?

Yes, can't find the thread, but there is over 200m of turning space in Caen so it's not a question of is there enough room but is there enough room with leeway. Clearly there must be as the ship is being built for Caen, and if the basin is going to be widened then that removes any doubt.