Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LHCity

Le Havre [Liner / ships]

16 posts in this topic

SS NORMANDIE (Compagnie Générale Transatlantique - FRENCH LINE) leaves Le Havre for New York in 1936

[ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_2231_1483137975671_190[/ATTACH]

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Stunning vessel! Nice post!!

Edited by Le Quiberon
Incorrectly putting 'xx' instead of '!!'

LH City, would you please STOP these teasing posts, (I'm still trying to get more details on that damned map) !

Back in France and with nothing to do this afternoon ( Mrs FW in the U.K.) I decided to google SS Normandie; if you have a minute do try Wikipedia.

A really stunning vessel, so far ahead of her time and what a tragic end at such a young age. She is still the most powerful steam turbo-electric propelled passenger ship ever built, and thanks to a hull design that's a work of genius she had a recorded top speed of over 32 knots. There are comparisons with Concorde here.....

Chris

Posted (edited)

I wasted a lot of time too - lookng at the peak year in the 1930s when over 900 long haul liners called in at Plymouth on their way in and out of Le Havre, Cherbourg and Amsterdam - mostly anchoring in the Sound and sending passengers and mail ashore by tender. While two competing railway companies ran boat trains from Plymouth to London - one to Paddington and one to Waterloo - racing each other, even though racing was banned after an off the rails accident due to excessive speed.

Edited by wortley

LH City, would you please STOP these teasing posts, (I'm still trying to get more details on that damned map) !

Back in France and with nothing to do this afternoon ( Mrs FW in the U.K.) I decided to google SS Normandie; if you have a minute do try Wikipedia.

A really stunning vessel, so far ahead of her time and what a tragic end at such a young age. She is still the most powerful steam turbo-electric propelled passenger ship ever built, and thanks to a hull design that's a work of genius she had a recorded top speed of over 32 knots. There are comparisons with Concorde here.....

Chris

You need to get down to St Nazaire and do the tour there Chris plenty about Normandie and France .

Dragon and Leopard were built there too....admittedly not quite in the same league as those two!

Dragon and Leopard were built there too....admittedly not quite in the same league as those two!

My first job after leaving school was working for a ships chandler in Avonmouth (Bristol) who had just bought a company in Le Havre, and Muggins was sent out there for 18 months to sort things out....ha ha!

Completely out of my depth but I used either Dragon or Leopard as my taxi service. Great ships with lots of style and no, they're not in the same league but you can see the design influence.

Chris

You need to get down to St Nazaire and do the tour there Chris plenty about Normandie and France .

Hi Neil,

I agree I should, it's only 3 hours away. I was down in Angers last week as well and thought about returning to Roscoff via St Nazaire but it was freezing cold and foggy, and Mrs FW couldn't see the point anyway so end of story.....

And on a side note you were complaining recently about your workload over the festive period. How about bringing forward the last day for posting Christmas mail to November 1st - simples!

Chris

1 person likes this

What were you doing down here in Angers? And you are right, last week it was 'Assez froid pour geler les boules d'un singe en laiton'! Ed.

Hi Ed,

My French business partner lives there so a couple of evenings making merry between Christmas and New Year seemed like a good idea. Stayed in the Mercure overlooking le Jardin des Plantes, but was refused entry to Le Chateau because we had (are looking after) a small dog while our eldest is away in Iraq - and guess what, he's not on holiday.....

We visited a small Bonnezeaux estate on the afternoon of the 29th, some of the finest wine I have ever tasted and I've tasted a few over the years. If my second knee op is recovering as planned I'm hoping to get down for the Salon des Vins de Val de Loire; let me know where you are.

And yes it really was that cold, even for a brass monkey!

Chris

1 person likes this

Which of the three days are you planning to be at the wine fair? I'm not sure I'm allowed to get in as I'm not in the trade but if I'm around at that time we might be able to meet up in town. Ed.

Ok Ed I'll let you know.

Mais si le toubib me donne le feu vert tu fais gaffe à mes bėquilles!

Chris

Ok Ed I'll let you know.

Mais si le toubib me donne le feu vert tu fais gaffe à mes bėquilles!

Chris

You can probably borrow a wheelchair to get around the fair if necessary. Ed

Just as long as I'm not asked to soufflez dans le ballon!

Chris ...

Le Havre - May 1935 - SS NORMANDIE Before Transatlantic crossing

Transatlantic Railway Station (Destroyed in 1944 by the bombing of the RAF)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_2253_1484083157784_863[/ATTACH]

Dragon (1967) and Leopard (1968) and both 6,100 tonnes were built by Ateliers et Chantiers de Bretagne at Nantes further up the River Loire than the Chantiers de Atlantique shipyard on the Atlantic coast at St Nazaire that built the CGT liners Normandie and France along with many other great liners including today's Cunard flagship the Queen Mary 2, the yard is currently building the largest cruise ship in the world, the forth in it's class for RCCL the Symphony of the Seas that enters service in May 2018.

Ateliers et Chantiers de Bretagne was renamed Dubigeon Normandie SA in 1970 and was also responsible for building P&O Southern Ferries 11,600 tonne Eagle (1971).

1 person likes this

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0