Andy

SAILING UPDATES: 2017 Latest News

Andy   

A dockers strike is taking place in Ouistreham tomorrow (31st January) which will affect the following sailings:

Portsmouth to Caen/Ouistreham - Caen/Ouistreham to Portsmouth

Due to industrial action by Ouistreham dockers, the 08h30, 16h30 and 23:00 departures on 31st January 2017 will be delayed by 1 hour. Latest check-in time remains the same. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience.

hf_uk   

Do I recall that the last time these kicked off, they had almost all their demands met, despite the MSM being cut free bond-style?

Regardless, I hope they crawl back under their rock. I know that dockers at Ouistreham have an extremely good deal compared to some other port operatives (not necessarily BF)... the last thing that BF need this 'brexit' and 'post-paris/nice' season is all this junk starting up again.

Edited by hf_uk

Due to expected poor weather in the Bay of Biscay, the following sailings have been cancelled:

02/02/17 - Bilbao to Plymouth - 15:30

03/02/17 - Plymouth to Santander - 20:30

These sailing are operated by the 'Cap Finistère'.

hf_uk   

First Plymouth sailings for over a month, and they are cancelled.Typical. Such a shame too, as it's a rare occasion that the Cap visits Plymouth and it always seems to create a bit of a buzz around the Port!

Gareth   

Maybe they didn't have any bookings?! Given that it is not possible to even find any Bilbao - Plymouth crossings in the booking engine this would be hardly surprising!

hf_uk   

It was in there, I saw it. I think they must have taken it down today, as that was the only one for a while. I imagine it would have been primarily freight though agreed...

A quick look at MagicSeaweed shows the reason for the cancellation, huge storm predicted for Biscay on 3rd and 4th with 36 - 38 ft swell.

Not forgetting MN Pelican, obversely the Thursday night departure is cancelled, MN Pelican will now depart Bilbao on Saturday 4th at 01.00 arriving in Pool on Monday 6th at 10.00.

Andy   

Completely the right decision to cancel Spanish sailings given the shipping forecast!

Cap Finistere has already sailed from Bilbao to Santander, to position ready for her next sailing on Saturday.

Tomorrow night's gonna be interesting on the Pont too me thinks eh Jim? ;)

BTW, I've just discovered a new weather website with excellent graphical representations of the wind/wave strength: https://www.ventusky.com/

[ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_2315_1486068296508_336[/ATTACH]

Jim   

Tomorrow night's gonna be interesting on the Pont too me thinks eh Jim? ;)

Nothing a few gins won't counterbalance.

hf_uk   

The worst of the wind is just about getting to Plymouth at the moment. winds certainly feel/sound like a storm, even if it has no name!

seems to look like it gets a lot quiter later though.... Pompey probably will get the worst about 6pm

The shipping forecast reckons gale 8 to storm 10 decreasing 5 to 6 later, a doddle!

Biscay is looking at winds as strong as Hurricane force 12 in the south, so definitely the right decision to cancel.

Gareth   

BDS' departure to Santander tomorrow morning has been delayed to 2000 so she can miss the worst of the weather. All of her subsequent sailings to and from Spain next week have been correspondingly re-scheduled, and she should be back on normal schedules with next week's Friday morning sailing to Le Havre.

Gareth   

The details:

Portsmouth to Santander - Santander to Portsmouth

We are sorry to advise that due to poor weather conditions, the following sailings have been altered:

04/02/2017 08h45 - This sailing will now depart at the later time of 20h00. Latest check-in is 19h15. Arrival into Santander will now be 07h00 on Monday morning.

05/02/2017 17h15 - This sailing has been CANCELLED. We have automatically transferred bookings onto a new sailing from Santander to Portsmouth on Monday 6 February at 10h00. Latest check-in will be 09h15.

07/02/2017 08h45 - This sailing will be delayed and will now depart at 16h00. Latest check-in is 15h15. Arrival into Santander will now be 21h00 on Wednesday.

08/02/2017 17h15 - This sailing will be delayed and will now depart at 23h59. Latest check-in is 23h15. Arrival into Portsmouth will now be 06h00 on Friday morning.

lol!

Baie de Seine sailed to Le Havre early this morning to get ahead of the worst of the weather, and her 0845 sailing to Santander tomorrow delayed until 20:00.

http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/routes/sailing-updates

Nothing like a few drinkipoos to coincide with the rough crossing, makes it more interesting. Not sure about Gin though, have some real alcohol.

Jim   

Nothing like a few drinkipoos to coincide with the rough crossing, makes it more interesting. Not sure about Gin though, have some real alcohol.

Depends what you classify as 'real' alcohol I guess ;)

Macc2010   

Just heard from BF that Portsmouth Port is yet again closed to all shipping movements this morning.

No reason given but the 2 BF ships and Condor ship are being held near the Nab tower.

Just heard from BF that Portsmouth Port is yet again closed to all shipping movements this morning.

No reason given but the 2 BF ships and Condor ship are being held near the Nab tower.

Another unexploded ordinance was found off the Wightlink hulk moorings overnight, so there is a 500m exclusion zone currently in force until it can be removed.