Andy

SAILING UPDATES: 2017 Latest News

LesD   

Thanks HC but this afternoon it's Pont Aven's turn for the cruise.  Maybe the delay to Cap Finistere caused a knock-on effect.

5 minutes ago, LesD said:

Thanks HC but this afternoon it's Pont Aven's turn for the cruise.  Maybe the delay to Cap Finistere caused a knock-on effect.

Sorry - I wasn't referring to today's delays. I was actually referring to last month, when it was noted that Cap Finistere seemed to be loitering around the Breton coast for a couple of hours.

Solo   
42 minutes ago, LesD said:

The PA appears to have taken the normal route, inside Ushant and then joining and crossing the main shipping lanes further up the channel. 

On 18/07/2017 at 13:07, Solo said:

The PA appears to have taken the normal route, inside Ushant and then joining and crossing the main shipping lanes further up the channel. 

'Pont-Aven' had a technical issue yesterday, it's caused a knock-on effect this evening.

hf_uk   
11 hours ago, TonyMWeaver said:

'Pont-Aven' had a technical issue yesterday, it's caused a knock-on effect this evening.

Wasn't it technical + medical emergency?

Penrhos   

I'm sure I saw a BF ship sailing Westwards off 'Les Sept Isles' (To the north of Perros-Guirec) this morning at around 9 am local time. I couldn't make out the markings or shape well enough to be sure. Could anyone confirm this. If not, what ship was she ?

Gareth   

This will have been Cap Finistere on her regular weekly passage between Portsmouth and Roscoff.

On 06/08/2017 at 16:59, neilcvx said:

They better get the Armorique fixed by next Sunday.

Hi Neil,

She arrived at 09h30 this morning, apparently engineers were working all night to repair a faulty engine. She's approaching Plymouth Sound on time this evening and currently doing over 20 knots so it's looking more positive.

If you have time do pop in for a chat on Sunday, it would be nice to put a face to 2299 posts!

Chris

• Like 2

neilcvx   

We get in at 200pm on Sunday,I will look for the bus, the wife likes fizz so have some chilled for her 😉

• Like 1

Thought something was up with Armorique. I was waiting for her (to get some photographs) on Sunday afternoon on a beach near the port at Roscoff. She scheduled to arrive at 15.00 and didn't dock till more like 16.30. On ship tracker she was only doing around 11 knots. Hopefully she is fixed for tomorrow when I'll be sailing home; although a longer crossing wouldn't be the worst thing in the world! Will surely pop in and squeeze another box of wine in the car as well before I leave. 

• Like 1

Gareth   

So Chris how did an 0930 arrival in Roscoff fit with CF's weekly call?  If I remember correctly that is around about the same time CF is scheduled to arrive isn't it?  Did CF have to wait for Armorique to unload and clear the berth then?  (Must have as if Armorique had to wait for CF to clear then she would not have been able to dock until gone 1100....?).

1 hour ago, Gareth said:

So Chris how did an 0930 arrival in Roscoff fit with CF's weekly call?  If I remember correctly that is around about the same time CF is scheduled to arrive isn't it?  Did CF have to wait for Armorique to unload and clear the berth then?  (Must have as if Armorique had to wait for CF to clear then she would not have been able to dock until gone 1100....?).

Basically she had to wait her turn Gareth. I spotted yesterday morning she was making slower speed than normal and was much closer to the coast than her usual track so her arrival time was adjusted accordingly. Apparently she then departed 45 minutes late which can be easily caught up on passage to Spain.

We had 2 Armorique crew members in this morning who confirmed she is functioning normally again, but the whole episode caused considerable aggrevation for both crew and passengers alike.

Chris

• Like 1

Gareth   
23 hours ago, Fine Whine said:

Basically she had to wait her turn Gareth. I spotted yesterday morning she was making slower speed than normal and was much closer to the coast than her usual track so her arrival time was adjusted accordingly. Apparently she then departed 45 minutes late which can be easily caught up on passage to Spain.

We had 2 Armorique crew members in this morning who confirmed she is functioning normally again, but the whole episode caused considerable aggrevation for both crew and passengers alike.

Chris

Thanks Chris - as you say, shouldn't have been a major inconvenience for CF, just not quite as long for her slow steam down the Bay.  And a couple of hours extra on board for those crew members waiting to get off and go home.

neilcvx   

BF just tweeted about the firework display tonight and tomorrow in Plymouth , I remember coming off Armorique when they were on in 2009 and moved through Plymouth extremely slowly at a standstill for ages.

On 08/08/2017 at 09:29, Haul Away said:

Thought something was up with Armorique. I was waiting for her (to get some photographs) on Sunday afternoon on a beach near the port at Roscoff. She scheduled to arrive at 15.00 and didn't dock till more like 16.30. On ship tracker she was only doing around 11 knots. Hopefully she is fixed for tomorrow when I'll be sailing home; although a longer crossing wouldn't be the worst thing in the world! Will surely pop in and squeeze another box of wine in the car as well before I leave. 

Hi guys,

Well you managed to squeeze in 2 more cases in the end! It was great to meet you all, I hope the crossing back to Plymouth was uneventful but will be expecting the promised voyage report soon!

Out of interest I drew the short straw to open at 06h30 this morning, first customer 5 minutes later, but we had the mother of all thunderstorms in Roscoff until about 07h30. Biblical proportions comes to mind which unfortunately flooded our garage at home too...........:(

Chris

On 09/08/2017 at 18:34, Fine Whine said:

Hi guys,

Well you managed to squeeze in 2 more cases in the end! It was great to meet you all, I hope the crossing back to Plymouth was uneventful but will be expecting the promised voyage report soon!

Out of interest I drew the short straw to open at 06h30 this morning, first customer 5 minutes later, but we had the mother of all thunderstorms in Roscoff until about 07h30. Biblical proportions comes to mind which unfortunately flooded our garage at home too...........:(

Chris

Thanks Chris, was great to meet you too. Thank you very much for your friendly welcome and buying advice. Crossing home was fairly calm, a little lumpy near the french coast after the storm. We got caught in the heavy rain early morning whilst loading the car! Do you know, but for the dirty linen, we might of squeezed in another six! Sorry to hear about your garage, hope the flooding didn't cause too much damage. Looking forward to trying your recommendations which I'm sure we'll enjoy.