Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nodwad

Pets

55 posts in this topic

I have used baie de seine a few times and have noticed they do not follow ,what all the other ferries do on the Spanish route ie tell pet owners to take there pets down to the car deck before passengers are allowed down.i would of thought in the best interests of all if pets were in cars before everyone starts going down to car deck.on this ferry the pet owners are the last to go down to car deck which causes many problems.by the time all pet owners are down on the car deck cars are moving off the ferry and blowing there horns at pet owners to hurry up through no fault of there own.pets are getting agitated with all of the noise going on around and have seen a few strong words getting said and all of this could be stopped if this ferry do what the rest do .ie pets down first.

It is not consistant  on other ferries in the fleet - it appears to depend on the particular crew. I only have experience of the Pont Aven on the Irish- France route but on that they have stopped giving an early call to dog owners an hour before the ferry arrives and now expect the pets to be brought down when the garage doors are opened. Because the Kennels are only acessable via the lift from deck 9 this causes chaos on a busy sailing . It is unfair on families who are not dog owners/lovers to be mixed in with pets in the lift and because again depending on the crew the muzzle rule is not enforced - it is a recipe for someone to be bitten by a nervous dog.

Yes I agree with you,muzzles should be on I have heard many times my dog does not like wearing a muzzles.again who is to blame yes the owner who travels with there pets and don't train them but that is another point.yet why this ferry does not follow what the other ferries do on the Spanish routes that's works very well?i have asked customer services about this and awaiting a reply.

How are pet owners finding the small exercise area now on the Pont Aven following the scrubber installation on a daytime sailing to Spain?

Last year we were on a crossing from Roscoff to Cork & there were 43 dogs on the sailing. The exercise area could not hold anything like that number & what happened - owners were spilling out onto the helipad on deck 9 . The irish crossing is 50 % at night but i can imagine it must be very difficult on a daytime crossing to Spain. 

The handout at embarkation lauded the new facilities for dog owners on the Pont Aven !

Very surprised about lack of comments,when it comes to health and safety for everyone.

One would assume different arrangements are in place because of the different arrangements onboard (eg car deck access, no pet cabins, or where they are located). But based on what's been said there may be room for improvement.

I'd also guess the lack of comments you mention being more to do with it being a minority of people who travel with pets. The muzzle issue aside, most of what's been mentioned is with regards the processes being used rather than a specific health and safety problem that is cause for alarm / would provoke discussion.

My last crossing on the Pont from Cork we were allowed down to the car deck with our dogs an hour before arrival , leave the dogs in the car , and return to our cabin . Then proceed as normal with the other passengers to the car deck when instructed . 

Like has been said it really does vary with crew. Muzzles are required in all public areas, however the crew doesn't necessarily enforce that.

I know it is a different topic but it is owners to blame for dogs not having muzzles on.yes I know dogs hate them but with a little training ie put it on for brief time to start with and build it up and in no time the dog is fine with it,for the few minutes it take to get up the lift.on walking them yes I don't put a muzzle on him because like most owners we can sense when our dogs have taking a dislike towards another dog .then just pop it on and no problems and keep walking.cheers

As has been said already it depends on the Crew as to the transfer arrangements and whether they enforce the use of muzzles or not . Consistancy would be good so that Pet owners both those who have travelled many times & new customers know what to expect .

In my eyes the following should apply; Transfer the animals to the kennels immediately on embarkation

Use the Muzzle for transfer in the lift & public areas

Allow Owners to bring their dogs down to the Car deck 1 hour before arrival

Ensure that dog owners only use the allocated areas for walking their pets

Ensure Kennel access is only available by card & don't leave the doors open for non pet owners to access.

I have a 6 month old  GSD travelling on the Pont Aven for his first time  from Cork to Roscoff  in 4 weeks time so I will report back as to what happens

Kgst fully agree with you ,regarding about kennel gate left open.i have Seen this many times and even had to chase people (kids)out of the kennels who did not have dogs.i have also seen dogs roaming around due to kids or adults letting them out .i know why people leave gate open because the card lock is a right pain in the butt,decent lock would put all this to right I would hope

Nodwad - you have reminded me to bring a lock to put on the dogs individual kennel because of the danger of kids letting the dog out. Our last GSD was nervous/aggresive and no one would go near him but this pup thinks everybody is his friend & he could end up joining us in La Flora !

16 hours ago, kgst said:

Use the Muzzle for transfer in the lift & public areas

Allow Owners to bring their dogs down to the Car deck 1 hour before arrival

Ensure that dog owners only use the allocated areas for walking their pets

Ensure Kennel access is only available by card & don't leave the doors open for non pet owners to access.

I'd agree on each of those, except for the second - which I believe is restricted by legislation related to distance from the berth, an hour would also be quite a long time all things considered.

If the UK goes for a hard brexit, all the above will be irrelevant, according to Alexander Winterstein the EU's Deputy Chief Negotiator. He said a few days ago that a hard brexit would mean the UK fell out of the pet passport scheme, and pets travelling between the UK and the EU27 would fall back on the old rules of quarantine!

Hopefully, comon sense will prevail and it won't come to that. ??

At least the UK Government won't need to change the pet passports to blue, as they already are, unlike the red human ones, at a cost of £500 million.

Robert.

A few points I want put to ,the pet passport scheme only applies to the UK,prior to this scheme the quarantine rules was in place ie  six month in  quarantine . then the  UK came to its senses and bought out the passport scheme,which is a very big benefit for all pet owners who want to take there dogs on holiday.so this was a UK rule and not a European rule.so should have no effect at all with  owners taking there pets on holiday,when we leave the EU.(2) pet owners have to wait till last before going down to car decks on this ferry.i had a answer off bf customer service,who were told by the purser on this ferry it is the only way it can do it due to crew duties --- they would have to have crew on duty letting pet owners down first,yet they must have crew on duty when they are letting non pet owners down first.the simple and most common sense thing to do is just reverse the system And let pet owners down first so they can get there pets and all the extra baggage in before.the rest of the passengers came down.it sounds so easy but i suppose they don't like it when told they have everything back to front.still a great company to travel with.

34 minutes ago, nodwad said:

A few points I want put to ,the pet passport scheme only applies to the UK

Sorry - that's not correct. The PETS scheme is for travel between a whole range of countries worldwide, and the UK is a member of that scheme. Microchipping and rabies vaccinations are a key part for all, with the UK having the additional requirement of the tapeworm treatment prior to arrival. The 'pet passport' is a document under the scheme to support multiple trips, but a health certificate can also be issued on a one-time basis. 

Our dog came over from Australia as it is a country included under the scheme using a health certificate. He was born and bred there. Once he was vaccinated against Rabies and waited 21 days he was eligible to enter with just a tapeworm treatment the day before his flight. Once he arrived in the UK we were able to obtain a passport document which is now used for travel to the continent.

I did ask him for his opinion on Brexit, but he said he didn't mind as his passport is already blue. 

petppt.thumb.png.c45821c725ca31ca8bd46ed97324bd78.png

Posted (edited)

Jim yes you are right but it was the UK who had the 6 month quarntine in position before it got dragged into the real world.with the pet passport scheme.i worked in the pet transport for many years and to now it is only the UK in the eu when passing over boarders ever ask for pet passports and to and have pets scanned.i only point this out in what some body has already said ie when we come out of the EU there will be problem which I don't think there will be any at all.last point point why do bf staff at ferry ports demand to have pets scanned when leaving the UK?because you may know it is not compulsory to have pets scanned when leaving the UK?

Edited by nodwad
Spelling

2 hours ago, nodwad said:

pet owners have to wait till last before going down to car decks on this ferry.i had a answer off bf customer service,who were told by the purser on this ferry it is the only way it can do it due to crew duties --- they would have to have crew on duty letting pet owners down first,yet they must have crew on duty when they are letting non pet owners down first.the simple and most common sense thing to do is just reverse the system And let pet owners down first so they can get there pets and all the extra baggage in before.the rest of the passengers came down.it sounds so easy but i suppose they don't like it when told they have everything back to front.still a great company to travel with.

They are getting €100 for a large dog on a round trip so surely they can provide one crew member to bring the dogs down before the ferry berths. The excuse on the Irish route to France was that they did not want to do an early call which would wake up other customers who did not have dogs [ The Pont arrives in at 7:00 a.m ] but if dog owners were told won embarkation there would be no need for a broadcast call.

Lucky we have two small dogs and got a dog buggie to transport to and from the car deck , no more wrestling to get the muzzles on . 

20 minutes ago, Chef said:

Lucky we have two small dogs and got a dog buggie to transport to and from the car deck , no more wrestling to get the muzzles on . 

I misread that as you were trying to get a muzzle on your budgie! 😀

1 person likes this

A dog buggy sounds like the sort of product you would find in the Innovations catalogue when it drops out of your Sunday newspaper. I just looked them up on Amazon and was amazed at the range of models. What I can't quite fathom is why you would need one when your pet has four perfectly good legs and would surely prefer to walk or run everywhere. Perhaps someone can enlighten me. Ed. 

9 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

A dog buggy sounds like the sort of product you would find in the Innovations catalogue when it drops out of your Sunday newspaper. I just looked them up on Amazon and was amazed at the range of models. What I can't quite fathom is why you would need one when your pet has four perfectly good legs and would surely prefer to walk or run everywhere. Perhaps someone can enlighten me. Ed. 

Oh they can run and walk fine , but  the Cairn Terrier can be a bit cranky , and in the close confines of the lift up to the kennels  and down it just makes it a lot safer for all , especially for passengers that are not dog friendly .It gives me consistency unlike BF system for pet owners  .

Ok, that sounds like a good solution to the problem. Do you then fold the buggy up and leave it in the kennel area or take it to the cabin with you? Ed

It would have to be a big buggy for alfie he weighs in at 52kilos.

Posted (edited)

11 hours ago, Chef said:

Oh they can run and walk fine , but  the Cairn Terrier can be a bit cranky , and in the close confines of the lift up to the kennels  and down it just makes it a lot safer for all , especially for passengers that are not dog friendly .It gives me consistency unlike BF system for pet owners  .

It folds flat with a press of a button , then bring it down to the cabin. We only use it as far as deck 9 and then walk up to the kennels . 

Edited by Chef