Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gareth

General Discussions on Brexit

304 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Jardinier said:

That's right - well, on the face of it.

In reality, there's no-one to buy. The flow of Brits to the EU has all but dried up, I think. Markets are stagnant. Properties in Spain empty for years. Same in rural France, where the French won't buy as there's no employment. You might sell, if you have a super-duper home, to the odd Belgian, Dutch or German, but essentially, apart from homes costing megabucks, there's very little selling outside the conurbations.

I believe the French and Scandinavians are  actively buying on the costas

There are certainly a lot of Swedes in Alicante and I would guess other similar resorts too. One of the biggest attractions for them is, I believe, the choice of golf courses available. I don't know any French people with houses that far south but it's certainly possible those in the Toulouse or Montpellier areas might be wanting holiday homes down there. Those around Nantes/Rennes/Le Mans/Angers or Tours tend to still have their holiday homes/second homes on the Atlantic coast between Quimper and Cap-Ferret or the North Brittany coast/Deauville. Ed

Yes, there is always a huge difference in demand between coast and country locations.

And yes, the Scans are buying, I believe, though not in France, as far as I'm aware. In 15 years in a rural location, I've never heard a Scandinavian language in any of our local towns. A Swede bought the château in our village about 20 years ago. He's not been seen since, has no family, apparently, and has been trying to sell for a few months without success. Meantime, the place - a beautiful romantic building that could be a fantastic hotel or health centre, is falling apart and being robbed of anything valuable. (You'd probably get it for 400,000€).

The French were buying heavily in Morocco, but not sure that this is continuing.

Thank you Jardinier, for your long reply to me, I have found it most helpful.