Sign in to follow this  
Gareth

General Discussions on Brexit

7 hours ago, Jardinier said:

That's right - well, on the face of it.

In reality, there's no-one to buy. The flow of Brits to the EU has all but dried up, I think. Markets are stagnant. Properties in Spain empty for years. Same in rural France, where the French won't buy as there's no employment. You might sell, if you have a super-duper home, to the odd Belgian, Dutch or German, but essentially, apart from homes costing megabucks, there's very little selling outside the conurbations.

I believe the French and Scandinavians are  actively buying on the costas

There are certainly a lot of Swedes in Alicante and I would guess other similar resorts too. One of the biggest attractions for them is, I believe, the choice of golf courses available. I don't know any French people with houses that far south but it's certainly possible those in the Toulouse or Montpellier areas might be wanting holiday homes down there. Those around Nantes/Rennes/Le Mans/Angers or Tours tend to still have their holiday homes/second homes on the Atlantic coast between Quimper and Cap-Ferret or the North Brittany coast/Deauville. Ed

Yes, there is always a huge difference in demand between coast and country locations.

And yes, the Scans are buying, I believe, though not in France, as far as I'm aware. In 15 years in a rural location, I've never heard a Scandinavian language in any of our local towns. A Swede bought the château in our village about 20 years ago. He's not been seen since, has no family, apparently, and has been trying to sell for a few months without success. Meantime, the place - a beautiful romantic building that could be a fantastic hotel or health centre, is falling apart and being robbed of anything valuable. (You'd probably get it for 400,000€).

The French were buying heavily in Morocco, but not sure that this is continuing.

On 11/06/2017 at 23:38, Gardian said:

Eddies .........

Well of course its a concern for those of us living in the EU, but the phrase "Don't panic" comes to mind.

Pensions - the very worst thing that any Govt could do is freeze increases. Not good & legally dodgy, but probably not the end of the world.

Healthcare - I firmly believe that little will change for those who have been here for a while. It might for 'new' emigrants, but for established ex-pats, I really rather doubt it. What else? A firestorm of protests from those affected (2m +?)

Return to the UK - the implications of selling in a falling market are obvious.  You'd get your rights back in the UK, but that's not the real issue.

In short, stick it out. There's still bucketloads of water to go under the bridge.

As I understand it, Davies announced yesterday that healthcare funding by the UK for British citizens living in the EU will continue post-Brexit.

There was something about EHIC's continuing as well, but quite frankly they've always been a bit of a waste of time IMO.  (Reason = their acceptance can be very flakey + I suspect that many people feel that having one removes the need for travel insurance).

On 12/06/2017 at 21:11, Sandbanker said:

I believe the French and Scandinavians are  actively buying on the costas

Certainly there has been and still is a Scandinavian (and Russian) interest on the Spanish Costas

5 hours ago, Gardian said:

As I understand it, Davies announced yesterday that healthcare funding by the UK for British citizens living in the EU will continue post-Brexit.

There was something about EHIC's continuing as well, but quite frankly they've always been a bit of a waste of time IMO.  (Reason = their acceptance can be very flakey + I suspect that many people feel that having one removes the need for travel insurance).

I don't believe Davies can guarantee anything yet.

1 hour ago, neilcvx said:

He'll get back to us once he knows if it's an arse or an elbow ;)

1 hour ago, neilcvx said:

I think that you're missing the point and with respect, probably don't understand the way healthcare funding works for British residents in the EU.

It really has nothing to do with the French or the Spanish, or any other EU country where British citizens might be resident. The French couldn't care less - healthcare for expats is either funded by their country of origin (subject to certain conditions, as in being a recipient of a UK State Pension) or by themselves. They'd probably prefer the latter because its less costly admin-wise, but that's probably factored in to the re-charge to the UK.

Davies has said that the status quo will continue.

Now .......... I'm not naive enough to believe that there mightn't be a u-turn at some point in the future, but there'll one hell of a furore if it were to happen.

With respect I think you missed my point about Mr Davies level of authority Mrs May runs a dictatorship and i wouldn't be surprised if she was to change that aspect of funding without telling him it's just a farce.

Quote: '...i wouldn't be surprised if she was to change that aspect of funding without telling him it's just a farce.'

Is there a full stop missing from that last phrase? Ed

Edited by Cabin-boy

Does he need telling it's a farce?  Does she realise it's a farce to be able to tell him?  Profound questions! 😀

5 hours ago, neilcvx said:

With respect I think you missed my point about Mr Davies level of authority Mrs May runs a dictatorship and i wouldn't be surprised if she was to change that aspect of funding without telling him it's just a farce.

Those days are behind her now Neil. Even she knows she can`t continue as she did. I agree she is talentless and simply doesn`t understand people. Davis on the other hand does, having come from a single parent family on a Council estate in South London. That`s why he made his statement on the health care for ex pats and rightly so. She dare not interfere like she did, because even she understands( and that took a botched election to do it) that her premiership is limited and she`ll be thrown over the side at the appropriate time. Good riddence as well.

Edited by Paully

26 minutes ago, Paully said:

I agree she is talentless and simply doesn`t understand people. Davis on the other hand does, having come from a single parent family on a Council estate in South London.

I'm sorry Paully, all that makes Davis is " having come from a single parent family on a Council estate in South London " . That doesn't make Davis " understand people " any more, or for that matter any less, than anyone else. He is quite happy to plunge this country into the abyss of no EU deal without another thought. If he does indeed "understand people" it doesn't translate into caring about people their living standards or their future prospects.

• Like 1

Big Picture Guys, big picture :D..He can only deal so far.Sadly it appears, that the EU themselves want a political and not necessarily a business settlement. However, what we are seeing at the moment is the cut and thrust of the debate, with neither side completely showing their hand and it would be unreasonable to at this stage in the proceedings. To play it all out in the full glare of public scrutiny is just not how it works. Have patience and see where these events take us. All we have so far are statements from both sides, which tells us nothing. Courage Mon Brave 9_9

2 hours ago, Paully said:

Big Picture Guys, big picture :D..He can only deal so far.Sadly it appears, that the EU themselves want a political and not necessarily a business settlement.

It should come as no surprise to anyone that the EU want a political and not necessarily a business settlement. They have been saying so for the last 15 months but the UK government has not been listening. Unfortunately those whose mantra is "trust me" are usually the most untrustworthy. In the last few days we have seen more anti EU negotiator ravings from Fox. At long last it's beginning to look like blind panic is setting in in some quarters.

35 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

Well as an SNP supporter we are both in the same boat then. But just to lay my cards on the table, I really don`t give a toss whether we get a deal or we don`t.  I just want it sorted, one way or the other,quickly..

37 minutes ago, Paully said:

Well as an SNP supporter we are both in the same boat then. But just to lay my cards on the table, I really don`t give a toss whether we get a deal or we don`t.  I just want it sorted, one way or the other,quickly..

I'm not an SNP supporter.

3 hours ago, Paully said:

How sad that you would accept a deal that could do harm for generations of uk citizens just because it was a deal done quickly.

50 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

This may be of interest for those who hope to clean up once we are out of the EU.  

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-41265718

Sorry! :D. Ed. 

James Dyson, well he certainly cleaned out his 800 + UK workforce when he moved production from Wiltshire to Singapore and Malaysia. He also managed to cleaned up €1.6m in EU farming subsidies in 2016. The man clearly has the best interests of the UK public at the centre of everything he does. 

• Like 1

To start i voted out.The reason some of the counties of Europe seen to have short memories,no names.When the EU started to talk money the amount seems to rise every time the subject is brought up. Now  in my opinion this is the opinion of a person of 80 years im now not talking in money but lives would it not be an idea to invite the leaders of certain European Countries to come to London in November and stand to attention at the Cenotaph,the British have already paid the price not once but twice.