TonyMWeaver

Normandie Express - Summer 2017

73 posts in this topic

There are just 19 days until 'Normandie Express' returns to service for the Summer Season, this year for around 20 weeks. (I'm on the 1st crossing practically free of charge).

'Normandie Express' is due to depart Le Havre on Wednesday (5th April) at around 10:00 heading to Cherbourg in preparation to commence service and will head to Portsmouth (Crew Only) on Wednesday 19th April arriving around 15:00-18:00.

Normandie Express.jpg

That's a long time "getting ready" in Cherbourg Tony - why the need to leave Le Havre so soon?

Presumably they need time for crew training and evacuation drills etc given that many of those on board are seasonal and may not have worked on her before. Ed

I think NEX has a regular crew - one of the ladies behind the info desk on Barfleur is usually on NEX, she is on Barfleur during the months NEX is in storage.

Interesting. Maybe there is a regular management team for both the front-of-house staff and the engineering crew who switch from other vessels in the summer (and who are perhaps replaced on Barfleur and other ships by trainee staff). And then the other crew are again trainees or agency staff/ seasonal workers. Whatever the configuration they will still need a work-up period and training on the vessel and it's systems (or a refresher course for those who are regular) and I guess they and the ship will also need to be recertified for the summer season. Ed  

I'm pretty sure her "get ready" period is not normally anything like as long as it sounds like it's going to be this week.  It's normally about a week in Cherbourg whereas this looks like it's going to be more than double that.

i wonder whether she's going to be hauled out of the water at Cherbourg for a mini-overhaul?  Don't know if she's too big, but the old Condor cats used to get lifted out there. And it must be a while since NEX last had any under-water attention?  So if they're going to lift her out that would explain the extended "get ready" time in Cherbourg. Just a theory.

NEX has been out of the water in Cherbourg - and yours truly just happened to be lurking around

IMG_0017.JPG

IMG_0018.JPG

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

That makes sense, and great photos. How do they lift her out? Or is it like with a jet-ski where you just run her up the beach?Ed

Edited by Cabin-boy

She is on kind of rails where she is pulled out I think.

Posted (edited)

That 

2 hours ago, Khaines said:

NEX has been out of the water in Cherbourg - and yours truly just happened to be lurking around

That was after Summer 2012 if my memory is correct.

@Gareth, NEX was taken out of the water after the summer of 2015 in Dunkirk when she was repainted.

Edited by TonyMWeaver

The last time we were on her she certainly lived up to her nickname "Vomit comet" it was that rough forward of the bar was closed off must have been on her limit for wave heights, my Wife vowed never again.

2 hours ago, TonyMWeaver said:

That 

That was after Summer 2012 if my memory is correct.

@Gareth, NEX was taken out of the water after the summer of 2015 in Dunkirk when she was repainted.

Yes, think it was.  She was having the new club lounge fitted.

Just now, Khaines said:

Yes, think it was.  She was having the new club lounge fitted.

Yes, new seats, carpets and flooring.

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, TonyMWeaver said:

That 

Thanks Tony. Sounds like she's about due a lift-out then.  That must be why she's going so early.

The departure of 'Normandie Express' from Le Havre has been delayed, new departure is now on Monday morning (10th April) at 0800 local time (0700 UK).

Normandie Express arrived safely in Cherbourg yesterday afternoon.

If the fantastic weather isn't reminder enough that summer is just around the corner, then this must be it! :D

1 person likes this

Thanks Andy totally put the mockers on the weather the wind today has brought the temperatures down with a bang and wall to wall cloud, summer has to be on the horizon

1 person likes this

This Easter week has put the mockers on my wifi, and the wifi in town and about.  Very slow almost everywhere.

On 11 April 2017 at 23:16, Andy said:

Normandie Express arrived safely in Cherbourg yesterday afternoon.

If the fantastic weather isn't reminder enough that summer is just around the corner, then this must be it! :D

Looks like she's not being lifted out.  If she was due a lift-out I suspect it would have happened by now.

2 hours ago, Gareth said:

Looks like she's not being lifted out.  If she was due a lift-out I suspect it would have happened by now.

I see she's swapped berths with Oscar Wilde, is there any reason for that?

1 hour ago, jonno said:

I see she's swapped berths with Oscar Wilde, is there any reason for that?

The mind boggles !

Not sure what you are referring to Jonno - NEX hasn't moved for over 24 hours....

Oscar Wilde was well known for jumping from bed to bed so it's hardly a surprise!  Ed.  (p.s. on board Normandie this morning.  I will note how friendly the crew are following some recent negative comments on here)