TonyMWeaver

Normandie Express - Summer 2017

73 posts in this topic

Remind me, Has BDS had any dry dock time this past winter?

Apart from the discolouration from tying up her paintwork looks spotless considering she's been up and down the Bay.

Posted (edited)

13 minutes ago, jonno said:

Remind me, Has BDS had any dry dock time this past winter?

Apart from the discolouration from tying up her paintwork looks spotless considering she's been up and down the Bay.

Yes, I'm pretty sure she was off for refit last Autumn jonno.  (Apart from a week for Barfleur afloat in Cherbourg, As far as I can remember BDS was the only member of the fleet to receive refit attention before Christmas last year).  Etretat is next, this coming Autumn.

Edit: Yes, found a link.  BDS was drydocked in Santander between 7 November and 4 December last year.

Edited by Gareth

She (BDS) certainly looks well-loaded in Tony's photo.

That she does, press contact at BF (he who gives me permission to use their name) has mentioned that all the Spanish crossings are enjoying a booking uptake compared to the same period in 2016. 

We've booked 10 days in July travelling to and from Plymouth on PA, leaving on the 16th. As has been mentioned by others before on the forums 4 of us, 2 couples, are staying in a Casa (house) and Parador, we booked the complete package through BF and I thought it was exceptional value. I've been to most of the popular Spanish Costas over the years but never Northern Spain and the Picos; I love the Basque Country so am expecting it to be at least as scenic, hopefully quieter and I would imagine cheaper, and we're really looking forward to discovering a bit of real Spain.

Fingers crossed the weather behaves ....9_9

Chris

1 person likes this

I am so glad to have booked up my trip on NEX, am staying overnight in Pompey to get the sailing out and returning via Barfleur. Should be a good day out.  Would have done it the other way round as Barfleur out is more convenient (and no hotels needed) and NEX back, but she leaves mid afternoon so would have basically no time ashore.  NEX would do good on a schedule like Barfleur, leaving at 10 in the morning and sitting in Cherbourg till around 5-6 in the evening.  She only does the one rotation at the moment so maybe in the future that could be tweaked.  

45 minutes ago, Khaines said:

I am so glad to have booked up my trip on NEX, am staying overnight in Pompey to get the sailing out and returning via Barfleur. Should be a good day out.  Would have done it the other way round as Barfleur out is more convenient (and no hotels needed) and NEX back, but she leaves mid afternoon so would have basically no time ashore.  NEX would do good on a schedule like Barfleur, leaving at 10 in the morning and sitting in Cherbourg till around 5-6 in the evening.  She only does the one rotation at the moment so maybe in the future that could be tweaked.  

Whilst that would be good for day trips, the appeal of the faster crossing is for those with a longer journey to get cracking and get to their destination. NEX does do two rotations on the weekends which have a later departure back from Cherbourg.

BDS is looking very fresh-faced there!

23 hours ago, Gareth said:

She (BDS) certainly looks well-loaded in Tony's photo.

She was, she was full to the brim!

Nearly as fresh-faced as you looked on Saturday hf_uk.....:D

I'm assuming you made it to the terminal on time, you cool dude - bring a bicycle next time!

Chris

2 hours ago, Fine Whine said:

We've booked 10 days in July travelling to and from Plymouth on PA, leaving on the 16th. As has been mentioned by others before on the forums 4 of us, 2 couples, are staying in a Casa (house) and Parador, we booked the complete package through BF and I thought it was exceptional value. I've been to most of the popular Spanish Costas over the years but never Northern Spain and the Picos; I love the Basque Country so am expecting it to be at least as scenic, hopefully quieter and I would imagine cheaper, and we're really looking forward to discovering a bit of real Spain.

Fingers crossed the weather behaves ....9_9

Chris

You won't be disappointed Chris, the Picos are spectacular and if places like Potes, Santillana & Altamira are too crowded on an initial visit there are ample nooks and crannies off the beaten track to enjoy before returning. Santander is an easy place to navigate around and has good underground parking opposite the ferry as an alternative to the terminal if visiting before your return sailing.

We're heading back at the end of August.

Enjoy!

36 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

Nearly as fresh-faced as you looked on Saturday hf_uk.....:D

I'm assuming you made it to the terminal on time, you cool dude - bring a bicycle next time!

Chris

LOL - yes, just about thanks Fine Whine! Very good to see you guys as ever :) My dad and the golf contingency are departing tonight!

Posted (edited)

To get back on topic the advantage of NEx to BF is that it allows them to operate a service from Ports to Cherbourg without taking too much business away from their primary route of Ports-Ouistreham thereby, hopefully, discouraging the emergence of competition.  This policy of "covering" routes I'd guess is a rather more important feature of BF's overall business strategy than some seem to realise.

Edited by Hawser Trunnion

Was there a reason why the NEx was switched from Caen to Cherbourg, as it just the ending of the Condor collaboration? BF have seemingly tried a lot of routes with her from Portsmouth, now settled back to just Cherbourg.

Trying to remember which vessel did the Cherbourg route before NEX - did another ship operate it or has it been only her?  I thnk she was moved to Cherbourg because possibly there was over capacity on the Caen route and they were starting up the Le Havre service - too much in the mists of time!!

Posted (edited)

On 25 April 2017 at 06:59, Khaines said:

Trying to remember which vessel did the Cherbourg route before NEX - did another ship operate it or has it been only her?  I thnk she was moved to Cherbourg because possibly there was over capacity on the Caen route and they were starting up the Le Havre service - too much in the mists of time!!

BF did not run to Cherbourg (from Portsmouth) before NEX.  NEX was brought into the fleet in 2005 to fill the gap left by P&O.  She initially sailed daily to both Cherbourg and Ouistreham, but gradually the Ouistreham (and later Le Havre) fast ferry links disappeared as NEX was deployed to focus exclusvely on Cherbourg.  So, if you like, her immediate predecessor on the Portsmouth-Cherbourg fast ferry route was EXPRESS for P&O.  It was only when P&O pulled out that BF got involved with Portsmouth-Cherbourg.

Edited by Gareth

Posted (edited)

Ta for that, Gareth, was wracking my head trying to think of who it was, there wasn't a BF one so that answers that!!  

Ever since Tony posted those pics I have been thinking about all that chocolate in the shop on board - which I am most definitely after,  but foodwise I have a further question about NEX - breakfast.  Haven't been on her outward from Pompey before, so what are her breakfasts like?  I ask because I am staying in the Premier Inn before and have to leave early-ish for check in so too early for breakfast at the hotel for me, am getting a taxi to the port.  So thinking of breakfast on board, not sure what hers consists of.  I have asked years ago but long forgotton the answer.  Not going to get a chance to eat in Cherbourg as will be out and about, so won't get fed until the return on Barfleur!   Brekkie on NEX seems the best option!!  

Long time since I have travelled from Pompey, have to re-remember things about it.

Edited by Khaines

29 minutes ago, Khaines said:

Ta for that, Gareth, was wracking my head trying to think of who it was, there wasn't a BF one so that answers that!!  

Ever since Tony posted those pics I have been thinking about all that chocolate in the shop on board - which I am most definitely after,  but foodwise I have a further question about NEX - breakfast.  Haven't been on her outward from Pompey before, so what are her breakfasts like?  I ask because I am staying in the Premier Inn before and have to leave early-ish for check in so too early for breakfast at the hotel for me, am getting a taxi to the port.  So thinking of breakfast on board, not sure what hers consists of.  I have asked years ago but long forgotton the answer.  Not going to get a chance to eat in Cherbourg as will be out and about, so won't get fed until the return on Barfleur!   Brekkie on NEX seems the best option!!  

Long time since I have travelled from Pompey, have to re-remember things about it.

I think this is what you can expect.

http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/media/pdf/p/0/Le_Cafe_Menu-Normandie_Express.pdf

Long time since I have travelled from Pompey, have to re-remember things about it

You'll recognise it when you see it, there's this big tower with 'Emirates' plastered all over it! :D

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Brekkie on board Brigitte?   1 croissant or 1 Pain au chocolate + 1 fruit juice 20cl + 1 hot drink, regular ...£4.20  ..,

Come to Plymouth one day and try Cap'n Jaspers on the Barbican instead.... Back bacon, crispy lettuce and tomato served in a French stick...£3.75

Edited by wortley

Brigitte,  I guess you are staying at the Premier Inn near the main Portsmouth and Southsea station and that NEX leaves at around 9am. There is a branch of Subway just around the corner from the station which I've used before and opens at 7am. The breakfast sandwich (bacon and cheese from memory) and a cup of tea were good value and might be an alternative to breakfast on board which can take quite a while as everyone seems to want to eat at the same time.  Ed. 

Memo to catering manager.

Could you not find someone on board who can rustle up something eggs benedict, maybe with smoked salmon, or wilted spinach,  with hollandaise sauce,  on a toasted muffin. It's very easy. 

2 hours ago, cvabishop said:

You'll recognise it when you see it, there's this big tower with 'Emirates' plastered all over it! :D

Too late to edit my previous post - I meant Pompey PORT...😄

Regarding brekkie, there is a Subway nearby is there, decent coffee then....😊  (I am staying at the hotel in Isambard Brunel Road, the city centre one)  I am in my nearby Subway every day, and often have a breakfast roll so that is worth knowing.  There is one in Cherbourg too - come across it by accident, when I was looking for it I could not find it...😄

NEX, think will stick to a mid morning samdwich and tea!