The ferry Expert

Bf and Brexit?

Question

12 answers to this question

They will carry on trading and will evaluate traffic levels to determine whether any changes are needed to their business model.  Meanwhile, as I'm sure you know from elsewhere in the forum, they are about to announce the ordering of a new build for the Ouistreham route.

3 hours ago, The ferry Expert said:

What will happen to Brittany Ferries during Brexit?

That's a great question ferry Expert, I wish I'd thought of it myself.

As Gareth so rightly says BF will be monitoring passenger/freight numbers closely just in case they plummet alarmingly during the transition period, but being close to the front line here in Roscoff I would say the route is busier than ever, especially with French wanting to visit the U.K. and Ireland.

I'm fortunate in that I work in France yet keep a base near Portsmouth so I do at least one round trip with Brittany Ferries every fortnight. As a ferry Expert how many times have you used them during let's say the last five years, and how do you see this changing over the next 18 - 24 months while the terms of Brexit are being negotiated?

Chris

2 people like this

During the Brexit negotiations? Nothing, after Brexit they will continue to try to make money for their shareholders the best way they can.

DUTY FREE BECKONS! :)

20 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

DUTY FREE BECKONS! :)

Possibly, but in such small quantities after you factor it the travel costs hardly a life changing.

1 person likes this

Yeah, I hope one of the first things the government do is to arrange a special quota for duty free lager, over and above current limit. That's how to win votes ;-)

1 person likes this

6 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

Yeah, I hope one of the first things the government do is to arrange a special quota for duty free lager, over and above current limit. That's how to win votes ;-)

In your dreams hf_uk.

I find the Prin temps wine sales far better value than duty free.

Maybe they are preparing already - travelled with them last week & the exchange rate had improved from an abysmal 0.77p last year  to 0.83 p to the Euro. the onboard shop seemed to be much busier as a result whereas  last year you could  hear people complaining & not buying. They might be looking to the French,Irish & Spanish to travel more & spend more to offset the effects of Brexit with their UK customers

1 person likes this

59 minutes ago, The ferry Expert said:

Thanks for all of your Answers!

It would be courteous to answer Fine Whine's question, considering he went to such trouble to answer yours.

1 person likes this

On 5/19/2017 at 13:03, neilcvx said:

During the Brexit negotiations? Nothing, after Brexit they will continue to try to make money for their shareholders the best way they can.

My gut feeling, with freight being so important, is that it will very much hinge on what the final "deal" looks like. Any changes to the current levels of tariffs or customs controls would be the major two concerns. In that regard, I'd imagine it's a case of no deal being far worse than the mystical bad deal we've all heard so much about.