Just to bring this thread back around to the topic...

I've just amended our booking for the 26th as our vehicle height has changed to over 3m. It only cost £7 each way.

Result, sort of!

Checked in at Plymouth on the 25th. No one in the queue at 6am at all.

Explained the saga and promised that my booking reservations email will not have the note saying that my car is over the 1.83m limit according to BF (or Carweb that they use). I was advised to say the vehicle was a "leisure" vehicle!

They are of course right in including such a warning on the ticket as I may have added a roof rack etc.

Interestingly the Carweb dispute team never did reply within the  7-10 working days or at all. BF Customer services rescued the situation.

My suggestion is that if your manufactures handbook or the sales blurb shows a range of model heights then check that BF don't assume incorrectly that you now enter a different price bracket and more importantly that the final payment for the fare has not had the higher rate included in the balance. Easy to miss when payments are taken automatically on cards.

SFD

Edited by straightfeed
added a bit

Morning all,

Here we go again.

Booking my trips for next year. 

Get ticket and invoice Version 1- hooray.

Next day get Version 2 as an amendment and vehicle now has increased in height again. Talk about "computer says NO"!!!!

The extra charge of £41 "Will be taken".

Anyone have any idea how I get a refund after check in? I've tried Customer services and Reservations -all promise BUT it doesn't work.I sent all the car manufacturers info but that's a waste of time. Their bloody system just uses that god awful brainless system called CarWeb I reckon.

Anyone know Mike Bevins number?

Trip advisor keeps entering my head.

Good company BUT I dread a booking system like this.

Sfd

Edited by straightfeed
Typing errer!

1 hour ago, straightfeed said:

Anyone have any idea how I get a refund after check in? I've tried Customer services and Reservations -all promise BUT it doesn't work.I sent all the car manufacturers info but that's a waste of time. Their bloody system just uses that god awful brainless system called CarWeb I reckon.

What doesn't work? Do they not offer to change your booking to the vehicle dimensions you insist are correct with the added 'but we may need to check at the port' line?

I have no doubt that this CarWeb software has got your vehicle wrong - or maybe it is assuming you have roof bars which I think you mentioned before - either way I bet it is correct 98% of time and BF taking advantage of far fewer under declared vehicles 'getting away with it' - although I expect most people who under declare their vehicle dimensions do so unknowingly.

Hi Trev,

May have a result.

Heres what you do-from a very helpfully guy called Glen in BF Reservations.

Check what you want on line, for dates and best prices etc. Then book by telephone. They will then add a note  that you have checked your car size is in the right box and make a note as such on the booking. I'm not sure what the note will be but I should not get an automatic new version asking for more money (unless I go and fit roof bars).

Seems that the Berlingo type vehicle does cause a problem along with a few others that vary by model type. Most people claim not to know their height size it seems.

The use of an automatic correcting program after you've booked does allow rapid checking in. Just didn't want the agro of reclaiming the overcharged amount.

SFD

That is good news.

I did think that BF reservations are happy to see it your way. Landrover Discovery is another problem vehicle. Technically many of them are over 1.83m high but the newer models (so not all of them) have the ability to lower the suspension providing they drive at a low speed.

Each and every time CarWeb correctly tells BF that the Landrover Discovery owner has incorrectly declared their vehicle size but in reality when they turn up it is bang on or perhaps just under 1.83m...

It is a slight annoyance for you and other passengers with these sorts of vehicles but if you book via the telephone they can prevent CarWeb getting involved and instruct the check-in staff to check. OR you can book online and then call reservations and have the same conversation you had with Glenn.

Edited by Trev