cvabishop

Wightlink New Linkspans

While at the Gunwharf today I noticed that the new linkspan with the the upper level ramp is now in position. Does anyone know when St Clare will start using it, and what is the status with the linkspan at Fishbourne?

Apparently they will be using the new linkspans with St Clare when ready - just wondered when at would be as I am planning to take the car over in the next couple of weeks.

Three years ago I managed to scrape my car on the ramp up to the upper car deck on St Clare as I misjudged the line up due to the car in front having several bikes mounted on the back which obscured my view. Repairs cost over £1,000 and I am still paying for it in enhanced premiums! It's OK of you get one of the Saints as it is straight drive on and off but I always seem to get landed with St Clare!

I am sure I heard somewhere they mentioned July for starting? It looks near ready in Portsmouth, look to be bricking up the side of the ramp to the upper car park and tarmacing the ramp

adicat   

Don't book yourself on the odd hour or odd half hour from Portsmouth and opposite from Island then you will not get St Clare unless major disruption. You will get Faith or Cecelia.

adicat   

Stupid thing the other day. St Clare was 35 minutes late. St Cecelia was at hulk as she came off at 1220 and due back on 1310. St Faith was on time and due in 1340 for 1400. Well instead of putting St Cecelia back on at 1250 and the crew for St Clare going on her so she could leave as 1300,, they waiting for St Clare to arrive 1310. She left 1335 and St Faith then had to wait as St Cecelia was brought in and left 1400. St faith left 1430. So all 30 minutes late when they could have switched 2 vessels and switched them back later in the evening and all sailing would have been on time.  

On 20/07/2017 at 18:51, The Ferry Man said:

Linkspan at Fishbourne looked finished last I saw, A more basic structure compared to the Portsmouth one

DSC_5547.JPG

Err.... are they going to put any barriers on the sides of that... or is there a prize for being the first to drive off the sides? :)

captjack   

Of course it will have barriers, regardless of health and safety, what a strange comment, this is the problem nowadays, no common sense, it's not finished yet !

• Like 1

Wightlink announced today that they have commenced using the upper level loading for St Clare (and yes, the linkspans do have railings!). There are some online photos.

adicat   

Went up the top car park lanes today. Looks good but I did suggest to them that its obviously their intention to use both lanes of the upper (very slow) link span to get traffic off, that they may consider painting and arrow at the top of the normal "up" lane as currently they suddenly merge lanes just as the cars come off the top linkspan and any impatient driver will end up in the wrong lane if they do not wait and merge. Needs a visible arrow pointing towards them as someone is bound to think they can carry on down the lane a bit more and nip in later on but by then head on collision.

adicat   

Well the new link spans do not seem to have helped Wightlinks timing issues on a busy day. They are an hour late today. "mechanical problem". Seems to be a few of those lately. The new top linkspans have very high ramps when not in use and they are awfully slow at coming down. Do they really need to go up that high after use as the other vessels are not going to hit them.

Not sure what's been happening, went past the other morning and there was a queue in, and lorries still seem to be parked outside.

Not sure how they are getting around the fact that only St Clare has the double deck loading - does this mean the cars have to drive up to drive bac down to load the Saints?

adicat   

No, they are sending 50 cars up for Clare and said they would then send about 10 others for next vessel. If they do not get on then they will be dropped back down again. Personally I think they should carry on using that outside area, maybe 2 lanes nearest the wall or as the lane to the terminal. Then they can have 2 lanes coming off the ferry that can continue onto main road before amalgamating into 1. The lane remaining outside can be the road to fish market and A Bar Bistro.  They have "minor delays" on web but over an hour now. Wight Sun has for some reason come off 2 round trips earlier than timetable. Maybe no traffic and because they are running late take her off as all her traffic has gone on the late 1800 and 2000.

adicat   

Well you may be right re red funnel, as yet again late and yet again excuse "technical problem". Would you travel with a company that has almost daily "technical problems". They need to say something a little more detailed as last years excuse was always "operational difficulties". Just like when the trains were late it was always because of a late running previous service. No one ever got to find out the original trains delay.