veryoldbear

HMS Queen Elizabeth

Anybody know when the big aircraftless carrier is going to arrive at Portsmouth? I would imagine that there will be port traffic mayhem that day with big knock-on effects to BF arrivals / departures.

Edited by Gareth

Recent post from another Forum:

Portsmouth News are trumpeting a rumoured arrival date of Monday August 21st. Just for reference, high tide is 11:45 and is a 4.8m spring tide, while low water is 17:00 and is 0.7m. So let us go with a national news pleasing lunchtime arrival

I'd say that was a bit optimistic given that the ship has to return from sea trials in Scotland and have its defects rectified (including a problem with one of the propeller shafts).

However when it does arrive I agree that the port is likely to be paralysed for a considerable time as everything will be done very, very carefully!

kenw   

Torpedoes permitting, I think we should assume a closure of at least 2–3hrs and possibly more – both for nav and security reasons.

I would expect QHM to halt traffic in the approach and main harbour area for at least an hour before ETA to complete the security sweep, with small vessels directed out of the restricted zone. 

Then she has to find her line in the dredged channel, feeling her way in through the harbour entrance, past the Camber, Wightlink, Gunwharf and The Hard. Then will she moor bow inwards or head past the quays to swing and then moor bow facing out? If the latter, the closure will only be prolonged.

Will private vessels and/or tour boats be allowed for spectators? That will presumably depend on the assessment by QHM, RN Ops and the security services. So it will be a wait and see.

Keen photographers will probably head for Old Portsmouth – weather permitting, refreshments while you wait outside the Still & West – or the Gunwharf waterfront, beyond Carluccio's. A radio receiver tuned to Ch11 could be handy! For everyone else – All Bar One and the other waterfront watering holes are likely to be busy.

adicat   

Thread title needs to lose the 2. She is not QE2 but HMS Queen Elizabeth even though I think these types of names for warships are Americanised.

Gareth   
35 minutes ago, adicat said:

Thread title needs to lose the 2. She is not QE2 but HMS Queen Elizabeth even though I think these types of names for warships are Americanised.

Done!

adicat   

Excellent work. What do people think she should be called? Perhaps a survey on here to see favoured name or style of name!

Excellent work. What do people think she should be called? Perhaps a survey on here to see favoured name or style of name!

She has already got a name! It's not going to change.

Bassman   

Her official name might not change, but if a suitably silly nickname can be found, it will probably stick!

21 hours ago, cvabishop said:

She has already got a name! It's not going to change.

Gareth   

It seems strange that an HMS Queen Elizabeth and an RMS Queen Elizabeth can exist at the same time!

Maybe BF can call their next build Ark Royal to commemorate Portsmouth! :)

Gareth   

(And before someone says it, I know there isn't currently an HMS Ark Royal in existence and I know that the current Cunard liner is an MV rather than an RMS but it sounded better that way!) ;)

neilcvx   
2 minutes ago, Gareth said:

It seems strange that an HMS Queen Elizabeth and an RMS Queen Elizabeth can exist at the same time!

Maybe BF can call their next build Ark Royal to commemorate Portsmouth! :)

And they both use her Scottish title "Queen Elizabeth" not her English one "Queen Elizabeth the 2nd"  😉 

Warships and merchant ships have always been able to have the same names.  There are lots of historical examples. They are easy to distinguish. Warships are usually painted grey and have guns sticking out of them.

Edited by cvabishop
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Gareth   

But cruise liners and fishing boats are easy to distinguish too (one has a flock of seagulls flying behind it) yet they cannot have the same names.

I think the rule is that you cannot duplicate names on an individual country registry. (can't be bothered to look it up).

Back in the 1930s the Clyde turbine steamer Queen Mary was renamed to Queen Mary II to allow Cunard to name their new liner Queen Mary. In 1976 with the Queen Mary preserved at Long Beach under US ownership the Queen Mary II reverted to her original name of Queen Mary and is currently undergoing preservation.

Gareth   

Latest reports on the arrival window put her expected into Portsmouth at some point between 17 and 22 August, with the precise day to be chosen based on weather.

jonno   

Hopefully there's a good chance she'll be there on the 26th and I'll manage a few decent pics from Bretagne.

Khaines   

I heard she was due to enter next Friday 18th August around the 09.30 mark, which would rule me out as I have a 2 hour appointment at home between 09.30 and 11.30...😡  Not absolutely certain this is true but hopefully it will be on a different day then I can pop up to watch her.

Hopefully there's a good chance she'll be there on the 26th and I'll manage a few decent pics from Bretagne.

Yes, a good chance I would think. She was supposed to go back to Rosyth to have all the minor issues revealed on her sea trials fixed but I saw a report to the effect that it had been very expensive to get her out of Rosyth originally with 11 tugs needed and the mast had to be lowered. A second visit would have doubled that cost so it was considered more economic to bring her south and do the work at Portsmouth.

• Like 1