veryoldbear

HMS Queen Elizabeth

According to Southampton cruise lists for September, MSC Preziosa is coming in, that was the ship that started out as a personal cruise ship for thr Gaddafi family before he got ousted.  The one thwt had a shark tank in it, obviously all now very much done out in MSC corporate style, but she had "interesting" beginnings.  Off topic I know, a bit, but she might be worth an ogle.

Come on please,it is all planned out well in advanced.,yes it will be nice to see it berth and I wish I could be there to see  her come in.

1.  The press release advising on a "17 to 26 August window dependent on the weather" came from the Royal Navy.  It is inevitable that many of the detailed arrangements for an operation that is scheduled on that basis will need to wait until the slot within that window is chosen - based on the weather.

2.  Members that have nothing constructive to contribute to a thread are invited to contribute nothing and allow those who wish to contribute to do so without criticism for doing so. This is, after all, a ferry enthusiasts forum (which I am sure I have read somewhere else recently!) ;)

Edited by Gareth
  • Like 1

I'm seeking a couple of answers please?

Could the BF ships depart then weigh anchor around Spit Head while QE approaches? 

NEX should be fine with her 0730 departure plus either MSM or Normandie could squeeze through too. The Saturday issue would be the 0845 departure of BDS.

Secondly, how high is high water in the Solent, I know the main channel is maintained at 9.5m but QE requires 11m?

Jonno, regarding the last question about tides.  The height of high water obviously varies according to where we are between neaps and springs, but the theoretical height of tide at Portsmouth at the 0915 BST High Water on Friday is 4.1 metres.  That figure can also be modified by up to, say, 0.2-0.3 metres either way if the pressure is excessively high or low.  But if 4.1m height of tide is what actually happens then the depth of water available in your 9.5m channel will be around 13.6m.

Don't forget also that the Solent has a double high water, so the levels can safely be assumed to be up at that sort of figure for a few hours.

• Thanks 1

It's possible that the first entry of HMS QE into Portsmouth may be subject to a wind limitation. The forecast for Friday is a bit breezy at the moment.

11 hours ago, Khaines said:

According to Southampton cruise lists for September, MSC Preziosa is coming in, that was the ship that started out as a personal cruise ship for thr Gaddafi family before he got ousted.  The one thwt had a shark tank in it, obviously all now very much done out in MSC corporate style, but she had "interesting" beginnings.  Off topic I know, a bit, but she might be worth an ogle.

Now if he had managed to get something that size going for himself it would have made Roman Abramovich`s yacht look like a lifeboat!!..once saw it dock in Gibraltar and it needed tug assistance just to get alongside ...sorry to go off course

12 hours ago, nodwad said:

Come on this is planned well in adavace,so why all this banter?yes it is the biggest warship to come into Portsmouth.yet What is the big deal about ferry time tables,do you not think it is all palmed out well before hand.get a life please.

image.png.e64495bec018d777843838b73846ecfb.png

image.png.005fc27297360f868754816d556cf04d.png

image.png.20d3b50bc958040c3f326794ecd344c9.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Jim said:

image.png.e64495bec018d777843838b73846ecfb.png

image.png.005fc27297360f868754816d556cf04d.png

image.png.20d3b50bc958040c3f326794ecd344c9.png

Jim, any chance we could be renamed the Shipping Aficionado Symposium?O.o

• Like 2

I assume that the Navy has priority over commercial shipping in Portsmouth Harbour but is nonetheless aware of the implications of any delays caused to ferries by the arrival of their new ship. Closing the port to commercial vessels for an unspecified length of time between Friday midday and Monday midday would be certain to generate bad feeling and publicity among the traveling public on one of the busiest weekends of the year and at a time when it would be almost impossible to switch people to other ships and cabins etc. As such I'm sure they will wait for a clear opportunity to bring her in when the risk of disruption is reduced and the tidal and wind conditions are optimal. Ed. 

• Like 1

I doubt very much if the RN loses much sleep over the impact of its warship movements on civilian ship movements.  I fear this is a concomitant of developing a leading cross-Channel ferry terminal in what is -- and always has been -- a premier naval base sharing approach channels etc.

Commercial traffic is normally halted while movements of larger naval vessels are taking place and it doesn't usually cause undue problems. The arrival of QE is unusual in that it is a first entry by a very large vessel but the RN will have it planned out and I doubt if the harbour will be closed for more than 90 minutes or so to foreign going shipping and rather less than that for local traffic. The actual delays to BF & Commodore ships would depend on when they are scheduled to depart/arrive so the delay could be rather less than 90 minutes.

Having said that and from the information released so far, the tidal conditions dictate that entry needs to be around 08:45 on Thursday, 09:30 on Friday and at 45 minutes later each day through to Monday. That won't be decided until a day or so before depending on weather conditions as they won't want to bring her if the wind is above a certain speed.

Weather permitting, Friday appears to be the favoured day and I would guess they would prefer to avoid Sat/Sun if possible due to all the extra small boat leisure traffic in the area.

Whatever happens, I doubt very much if any delays to BF or Commodore would be such as to even think of the need to switch people to different sailings/cabins etc.

There is nothing whatsoever unusual in delayed departures, it happens all year round due to naval movements, weather conditions and other factors. The ferry companies take it in their stride. They will know what the RN's options for each day are and have no doubt already made contingency plans. They are probably unlikely to sail early as this could disrupt people who are driving a long distance down to Portsmouth. So the worst case scenario is that ferry passengers in either direction might arrive an hour or so later than scheduled, just as can happen in bad weather anyway.

The ferries are also very adept at making up lost time whilst at sea.

Reading cva's post above, it does make me wonder that on occasion, and usually late at night, if one or two of Armorique's  delayed departures due to "technical difficulties" are caused by RN movements?

Nocturnal activity would be an advantage to our submarines plus Devonport is the largest if not the busiest Naval Port in Western Europe.

Latest info from another Forum:

Date announced for HMS Queen Elizabeth's planned entry to Portsmouth14/08/2017Britain's new aircraft carrier HMS Queen Elizabeth is set to enter her new home in Portsmouth on Wednesday 16 August 2017.
The 65,000-tonne carrier, the biggest warship ever to be built in Britain, has been undergoing sea trials since setting sail from Scotland's Rosyth dockyard in June.She is now set to make her historic arrival into Portsmouth on Wednesday at approximately 0710 where she will be the latest in a long line of famous Royal Navy ships to call the port home.Weather conditions meant the exact date of the historic moment could not be confirmed until today.

A good day to choose from BF's point of view.  They'll probably get Normandie in early after her overnight from Caen, and then Wednesday is the day the Caen ships only do 2 crossings in the summer.  So even if Normandie is a bit late leaving on her 0815, it is no big deal if she is then late into Caen.  There will be no knock-on delays as she does not then sail again until 2300.

CF might be slightly delayed into Portsmouth on Weds morning but is usually able to make up for lost time on her passage to Spain.

3 hours ago, cvabishop said:

I will have to leave home around by 5:30 am. Hope it will be worth it!

Who cares about minor mods to BF schedules?!

On occasions like this with a very early start one wonders if it's worth going to bed in the first place.  Better to grab a bit of sleep in a chair.  Unfortunately motorway and trunk road service areas these days only allow 2/3 hours of free car parking.  Thereafter you pay!  If you don't you're photographed and traced via the DVLA!  Thus catching up on sleep later may not be that straightforward.

Edited by Hawser Trunnion
Completing post.

First train leaves Bournemouth at 05.10 - forget it.  Will give it a miss, anyway, maybe like to come up and see her going in or out one day when she is bristling with planes, or like as said earlier, a tour of the dockyard.

Had it been 20 years ago I would have travelled tonight and slept on a bench somewhere, used to do it, but don't think it is safe to do that now, so unless I have a fit of bravado today at some point....

Edited by Khaines

56 minutes ago, Khaines said:

First train leaves Bournemouth at 05.10 - forget it.  Will give it a miss, anyway, maybe like to come up and see her going in or out one day when she is bristling with planes, or like as said earlier, a tour of the dockyard.

Had it been 20 years ago I would have travelled tonight and slept on a bench somewhere, used to do it, but don't think it is safe to do that now, so unless I have a fit of bravado today at some point....

I think you'd be in good company on the beaches. Round and square towers are already filling up, as is the front of Southsea castle. We're going to do an overnighter towards Eastney - in company of the night beach fishers. It's a one off, so we don't want to miss it.

34 minutes ago, juliannewman said:

Bring your drones along and land them on deck http://gcaptain.com/drone-lands-on-hms-queen-elizabeth/ 

Glad to see this idiot has been reported to the police for investigation. However, in the days when the likes of Raymond Lygo were in charge of Aircraft Carriers this piece of dangerous tomfoolery would have quickly been thrown over the side:D