veryoldbear

HMS Queen Elizabeth

With that imagination you are wasted wherever you are. But you missed out HMS Warrior breaking adrift....

In the case of a temporary harbour blockage they would just park the carriers in Stokes Bay as the US Navy does.

Gareth   

Plus:  A ferry colliding with one of the QE transit lights is impossible because they are not in deep enough water.  And one of the forts becoming unstable has a 2 in 3 chance of it also mucking up access to Southampton.... 

21 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Plus:  A ferry colliding with one of the QE transit lights is impossible because they are not in deep enough water.  And one of the forts becoming unstable has a 2 in 3 chance of it also mucking up access to Southampton.... 

I meant the forts on either side of the harbour entrance - Portsmouth and Gosport. Ed

Gareth   
27 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

I meant the forts on either side of the harbour entrance - Portsmouth and Gosport. Ed

Ah yes, of course.  Those forts....! :)

jonno   

If one of the Palmerston Forts collapse doesn't it act like a giant plughole and drain the Solent?

That's what my dad told me when I was kid anyway...!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jonno said:

If one of the Palmerston Forts collapse doesn't it act like a giant plughole and drain the Solent?

That's what my dad told me when I was kid anyway...!

Would that have been in the sixties by any chance? It would explain a lot. ;). Ed.