KeynshamKid

Passport Chaos Ahead?

Question

Is there any indication that the increase in Passport checking that is blighting air travel will work it's way down to Ferry travel.

Will we need to turn up hours early to get through Passport control on the way back to the U.K.

4 answers to this question

Gareth   

My experience is no - all it has meant for me so far is less time waiting to board once through the security and immigration checks.

At the disembarkation end I can't see I've noticed a difference - checks on entry into France and England have always been pretty thorough.

Paully   

Our experience a few weeks ago into and out of St Malo was very quick. Cursory glance of the passports inbound (literally from Deck4 of the Bretagne to the open road was 6 mins). Inbound, the car interior was checked by the Gendarmes as was our passports and through to the forward holding area. In fact much more stringent checks of our passports on return to Portsmouth.

With regard to the airports, I simply don`t buy this ballyhoo...This sort of delay occurs every year at places with high holidaymaker arrivals. Palma handles more aircraft and pax at peak times than most other places in the Med. Ditto Barcelona, Malaga and Faro all of which have featured on the media front pages. Funnily enough there doesnt seem to be such problems at the smaller airports. True, due to security worries, more care is being taken with arrivals than before. Shengen is an excuse imo. Go by sea.....you know it makes sense:D

• Like 1

Shefford   

Our arrival at Le Havre at the end of June wasn't too good - nearly an hour to get through passport control. The lane we were directed to seemed to be merging in turn with another lane to get to an official in a booth who was checking passports,  but then another security official stood in front of our lane and stopped it from moving, so only vehicles in the other lane were making any progress. There was a third lane of vehicles being checked at another booth. Eventually a further official turned up - he appeared to be more senior from the way he was dishing out orders. He started checking passports for the vehicles in our lane by standing next to the vehicles rather than from a booth. He seemed very keen to get things moving, wish he had turned up earlier.

The return journey through Le Havre was fine, checked in at the BF booth, then a short wait for the police check which involved checking passports and a quick inspection of the boot. Passport control back at Portsmouth the next morning was very quick as well. Guess it just comes down to the luck of the draw. Reading about the current problems at Spanish airports is in stark contrast to our arrival in Santander two years ago, where we were just waved off the ferry, no-one was bothered about checking our passports then.