Tom Collins

Upgrading from reserved seat to cabin

Hi all. I'm travelling on the Pont Aven tomorrow from Portsmouth to Santander. I currently have a lounge seat reserved, but am considering whether I should upgrade to a cabin.

Does anyone know if this can be done on the boat, or should I do it in advance? Am going into this holiday pretty tired, and think I'd appreciate the comfort of a proper bed, notwithstanding the extra cost! Particularly as I have a 170 mile motorbike journey to complete on Wednesday evening after I arrive.

I'd certainly upgrade to a cabin. You can do this onboard, but with it being the height of the season I would be surprised if anything was available. Worth calling BF to enquire ASAP.

1 minute ago, Jim said:

I'd certainly upgrade to a cabin. You can do this onboard, but with it being the height of the season I would be surprised if anything was available. Worth calling BF to enquire ASAP.

I looked online at the "Manage my booking" thing - £95 for a cabin plus £25 admin fee.

I just called them, and now have a bed in a 4-berth shared male cabin for the princely sum of £32 extra - and no admin fee! Very happy man. 

Excellent. The 'shared cabin' option is not one often heard of, or available online - but it is a cost effective way of doing it. The occasional report back from those who use them suggests that it's very rare you may end up actually sharing with anyone. Fingers crossed, let us know how it goes.

A cabin berth, even if shared, is a quantum advance on a recliner. You need to be fresh for your 170 mile ride. Good move there!

Well my shared cabin turned out to be a 2 berth one, with only me staying in it! Other bed was folded up and not even made!

I asked at the information desk after dropping off my stuff, and they said no-one else was booked in it, but that it could possibly change if someone asked when on board. Didn't ask what it would cost at that stage, but it can clearly be done. However, I lucked out here!

2 hours ago, Tom Collins said:

Well my shared cabin turned out to be a 2 berth one, with only me staying in it! Other bed was folded up and not even made!

I asked at the information desk after dropping off my stuff, and they said no-one else was booked in it, but that it could possibly change if someone asked when on board. Didn't ask what it would cost at that stage, but it can clearly be done. However, I lucked out here!

Good result and one angle not many were aware of when travelling..Have a great holiday

I didn't know that option was possible but I might take the risk of trying it out next time I'm on Bretagne alone out of season. Thanks for the information. Ed