The Ferry Man

Red Jet 7 - Red Funnel orders another Fastcat

BBC are reporting that Red Funnel are ordering a sister for the Red Jet 6, to be named Red Jet 7

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-41009409

I guess this will mean the end of RJ3, and does bring up the issue with naming vessel sequentially, as the feet will now be Red Jet 4, Ret Jet 6 and Red Jet 7.

Good to see that the Wight Shipyard is doing well!

Wasn't the announcement I was expecting when they said a new vessel, maybe next time. ;)

Good that it's being built local again.

They did say when red jet 6 was built that there would be a replacement for 3 as well ..also the terminal at east cowes has been passed for planning ..there is a possibility that some jets may go to east cowes as well 

I am surprised that they have not increased Car Ferry capacity. With Lymington offering less of a service than in the past and Wightlink suffering delays all the time I thought Red Funnel may want to offer better than hourly. In the 1970s they had 5 vessels for cars.

But still meano that room for Red Funnel expansion as more people not getting time or day theyou want with Wightlink. 

Have to say its about time the car manufacturers started being responsible not only in size but power. Why do drivers need a car that does 0-60 in 3 seconds. We don't race them, we drive them on crowded roads with people who have cars much less powerful but we are all suppose to do max 70mph so why such powerful irresponsible cars.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, adicat said:

Have to say its about time the car manufacturers started being responsible not only in size but power. Why do drivers need a car that does 0-60 in 3 seconds. We don't race them, we drive them on crowded roads with people who have cars much less powerful but we are all suppose to do max 70mph so why such powerful irresponsible cars.

Because there are too many posers with too much money..

1 hour ago, Paully said:

Because there are too many posers with too much money..

Exactly, it's not the cars it's the drivers. Would we all be safer if everyone was driving a Trabant? I very much doubt it.

Never known an irresponsible car.

What's  posing got to do with anything, I have a nice car that I worked hard for and it does go fast but that doesn't mean I drive it fast. Never heard such a load of waffle.  All that was talked about a decrease in capacity on the ferries and some people spout off a load of bull about posers and fast cars.

9 hours ago, captjack said:

Never known an irresponsible car.

What's  posing got to do with anything, I have a nice car that I worked hard for and it does go fast but that doesn't mean I drive it fast. Never heard such a load of waffle.  All that was talked about a decrease in capacity on the ferries and some people spout off a load of bull about posers and fast cars.

Oh dear, must have struck that one a bit close to home..Lets just say after 30 years as a Policeman, including time as a Traffic Cop, I stand by every word. Oh yes and so do most of my past and present colleagues

Say what you like, I stand by every word too. So you never saw all the young idiots racing around Leigh Park in your 30 years then ?. Just because some people have money, I don't by the way, that makes them posers then ?.

My original comment was about the size of cars on the ferries, I worked for Wighlink for 13 years and in that time fitting the same amount of cars on the same deck space became impossible almost year by year.

That's why back in 1990 capacity was 142 x 4 = 568 per 2 hours

2018 will be 175+150+100+60= 485. So Red funnel could offer more sailings as 15% reduction in Wightlink offerings at peak times. If Red Funnel get new terminals will they change or just stick  to hourly. Seem to have spent a lot on upgrading fleet comfort and want to invest in terminals but not capacity.