Sign in to follow this  
Pilgrim

Bretagne - benches to sleep overnight

Hi guys.

I'm currently looking at options for my annual trip to Le Mans next June and was wondering if the Bretagne had plenty of soft benches to sleep on during an overnight crossing. Bitter experience tells the Normandie doesn't. SNCF don't do direct trains between Morlaix and Le Mans any more (according to their timetable), so the Portsmouth-St. Malo overnight is my most likely option.

Why not pay a fiver for a reserved lounge seat?

I'd also look at Caen as the train via Paris takes just as long...

1 hour ago, Pilgrim said:

Hi guys.

I'm currently looking at options for my annual trip to Le Mans next June and was wondering if the Bretagne had plenty of soft benches to sleep on during an overnight crossing. Bitter experience tells the Normandie doesn't. SNCF don't do direct trains between Morlaix and Le Mans any more (according to their timetable), so the Portsmouth-St. Malo overnight is my most likely option.

Was on the Bretagne last month but don`t recall seeing any `bench` type seating. In fact I wouldnt think any of the casual seating would be suitable for `kipping on`..I would suggest a reclining seat might be a lot better, or have a word with BF reservations. Someone on here recently found that they do a berth in a shared cabin(albeit this was on the Spanish run) at a very reasonable cost and ended up being the only occupant .

30 minutes ago, Paully said:

Someone on here recently found that they do a berth in a shared cabin(albeit this was on the Spanish run) at a very reasonable cost and ended up being the only occupant .

Should be available on all routes - but has to be booked either by phone or by asking onboard, it can't be done online.

Bear in mind that overnight accommodation is mandatory so a reclining seat will be sold as a minimum unless it's an exceptionally busy sailing and all accommodation is sold out.

As far as 'comfy benches' go, there are none which spring to mind I'm afraid.

I would say you will need a reclining seat as a bare minimum. Perhaps I'm a bit soft these days but personally I can't function without a proper bed in a cabin.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Ryan_H said:

I would say you will need a reclining seat as a bare minimum. Perhaps I'm a bit soft these days but personally I can't function without a proper bed in a cabin.

and that`s just on the day crossings :D:D

I think they have done away with bench seats for precisely this reason, except in the bar and that's too noisy. You may be better off booking a recliner and then sleeping on the floor somewhere (bring an airbed) or at a pinch on one of the outside benches if the weather is fine and in mid-June it could well be. Ed 

On ‎29‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 09:53, Pilgrim said:

Hi guys.

Not sure what time you are travelling but I caught the 15.04 TGV from Morlaix to Paris last week and that stopped at Le Mans

I have previously spotted some clever campers on the Bretagne  setting out their mattress in the alcove underneath the stairs leading from the self service restaurant. It looked a really cosy place to sleep - quiet, enclosed, flat and no bright ights. But I'd still rather pay for a cabin!

35 minutes ago, Altranter said:

I have previously spotted some clever campers on the Bretagne  setting out their mattress in the alcove underneath the stairs leading from the self service restaurant. It looked a really cosy place to sleep - quiet, enclosed, flat and no bright ights. But I'd still rather pay for a cabin!

Do you mean the stairs at the bow end of the restaurant from where you can get out onto the foredeck? There was someone sleeping down there last September when I was on her and cunningly had taken several bundles of used sheets out of a laundry trolley and was using them as a mattress with his sleeping bag on top. I think I woke him clattering down the stairs to get a photo of the sunrise about an hour out of St Malo. Ed 

Are benches really a good idea?  They allow a minority of pax to stretch out in something resembling comfort while the rest not so lucky have to shift the best they can.  Not very fair when they've all paid the same and anyway the ferry operator, in this instance BF, has cabin berths and reclining seats to sell.

On overnight crossings, accomodation must be booked if it is available. Even when people book reserved seats, they don't always use them.