Sign in to follow this  
JohnMustow

Cap lift entrance 9C

Question

We are booked on the Cap Friday evening to Santander. My wife has hurt her knee. BF have obliged by allocating us park spot near 9C. They cannot move our cabin from 8034 to nearer the lift shaft but we are OK we will manage with a crutch from the lift to the cabin. Looking at the Cap deck plans and sections online the lifts are marked red, orange and yellow.

Can anyone tell me which lift is next to 9C and which vehicle deck is 9C on.

21 answers to this question

scarlton   

C is short for "Comfort" and P for "Priority". As has been said, they are stickers affixed to the windscreen at check-in.

2 minutes ago, scarlton said:

If she's booked as travelling in the car, she will need to check-in and board in it.

Not necessarily. This summer my sister was booked to go back on NEX with her mother-in-law (and others). The 80-something lady has problems with steps and the ramps inside NEX would have been OK except that they had an SUV with bikes and a roofbox so were due to be parked in the outside area at the stern and be last on (as they had been on the way over but without the M-I-L who travelled separately). Then she would have had to slalom up the ramps between cars with her walking stick etc. My sister explained this at vehicle check-in and they found a solution. Before parking her car in the boarding lane on the quayside she dropped the M-I-L at the entrance to the old cruise terminal in Cherbourg (where the passenger bus usually stops) and one of the crew came down with a wheelchair, took her up in the lift and seated her onboard before anyone else. My sister and the other passengers then joined her 10 minutes later.  They also got the best table as a result. Problem solved by some creative thinking at the port.

However, my sister had tried to explain all that via the BF live chat service the day before and got nowhere with (I think Lucy) the person on the other end who tried telling her to rebook via Caen and various other ideas. In the end my sister gave up and said they would just have to carry her up if necessary. So the official line may be to wring a bit of extra money out of passengers who just want to get home but the port and onboard staff will do what they can to help. 

Ed 

nodwad   

Don't know which lift it is,but I can tell you now it is a joke,I have seen disabled people trapped in there cars because the crew have parked cars to close to each other and even if you are lucky in getting plenty of space trying to get around other cars is very hard also.just hope they park you next to the walk way so you can get out and in without any hassle.good luck

Yes we have been parked so close to the next vehicle it has been difficult to get out of the driver and passengers doors. There has been much discussion on other threads about this but I have to agree with the general conclusion that in the working life of a ferry cars have increased in size indeed my current Seat Alhambra is much bigger than my former VW Sharan particularly width, which is the important  dimension.

KeithR   

Not sure which lift is which because I have never used the boat, but as I understand it 9C is the sticker they put on your windscreen at check-in. I have seen these stickers in use on other boats and I have assumed that they are used to inform the crew on board that they must park the vehicle in an appropriate spot. These stickers are certainly in use on the Etretat   

Gareth   

Yes, it can't be referring to a location within the ship because if it was the "9" would be the deck number and deck 9 is most certainly not a car deck.  The normal numbering system for the lifts on board the BF ships are that each lift is given a letter, e.g. "A", and "4A" means the exit from lift "A" on deck 4 etc.  Means that when you're up in deck 8 you know you just have to find lift "A" (8A on that deck) and then go down to the deck your car is on.  But "9C" cannot possibly be a lift exit on a car deck of CF.  So I agree, it must be a code on the mirror tag to tell those in charge of loading what your needs are.  It is also impossible to know in advance where you're going to be parked on the ferry.

What other codes have people seen on these stickers? Does C mean a central position or that the vehicle is a compact model or that there are children on board and might need extra space to exit etc. I've thrown away all the windscreen handsets I've been given in the past so can't check. The 9 might refer to boarding lane 9 after check in I suppose. Ed 

Gareth   

Generally the ones I've had have said 4D.  I'd always assumed that the 4 was the number of passengers but that must be wrong if there is a 9 being used for others.

3 minutes ago, scarlton said:

C is short for "Comfort" and P for "Priority". As has been said, they are stickers affixed to the windscreen at check-in.

Great, thanks for that. Who wants to tell Gareth what 'D' stands for! :D Ed

As long as it's not 'Drinker' or 'Don't care where we put him, as long as he's out of the way'.:$

Are there any other letters we should watch out for? I may need to take some Tipp-Ex along with me next time to be sure I'm given the respect I deserve. Ed

• Like 1

Bassman   
14 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

As long as it's not 'Drinker' or 'Don't care where we put him, as long as he's out of the way'.:$

Are there any other letters we should watch out for? I may need to take some Tipp-Ex along with me next time to be sure I'm given the respect I deserve. Ed

Can you still get Tipp-Ex?

42 minutes ago, Bassman said:

Can you still get Tipp-Ex?

My dealer can get me some if you are interested. But it will cost you. (Other correcting fluids are available.) Ed. 

Last time I was on the Next I noticed some cars with 'Priority Loading' printed prominently on the windscreen hangers. I am not sure what that was about , but they were marshalled so as to be first off the upper deck. Never noticed them before.

wortley   

John Mustow, I would ask customer service to provide a wheelchair and an attendant to take your wife from the passenger terminal directly  to the ship's cabin,and another to meet you on arrival  - airports and airlines do this from check in to plane as a regular matter of routine and we have used that service worldwide.  That will allow you to drive on board and re unite with her at the cabin.  Brittany Ferries must surely have arrangements in hand for wheelchair passengers who cannot alight on the car deck. I hope it goes well. 

Edited by wortley

scarlton   
On 07/09/2017 at 15:03, wortley said:

Is that the official answer or just your opinion ? 

That's the official answer. But BF are pretty flexible, as Cabin-boy shows. Never hurts to email customer service, they're one of few companies that actually try.

Well in that case (if parking position 9C is next to the blue lift) then the cabin they have been given (8034) is just a few yards from the doors of the lift when it opens on deck 8. Ed