Stuart Maxwell

Boarding Times on the Bretagne

My experience over the years is that BF generally treat their customers very well, all things considered. Not something that can be said of all travel companies.

• Like 1

Hear hear!

In fact I would go so far as to say that BF always try to treat their customers well, but there's no accounting for someone somewhere having a particularly bad day at the office for whatever reason,.

In a world where people sometimes only think of themselves there may be up to another 2000 passengers hoping to enjoy the same ferry crossing, so a combination of 10 coach loads of school kids/cars parked too close to yours/cabin cleaning not finished/restaurant full/hot dish not hot (in which case you take it straight back)/ queuing to board for 45 minutes and that annoyingly expensive red sports car turns up and is waved straight on/ directed to the customs queue taking 3 times as long as the next one, all can cause some serious teeth gnashing and give us something to gripe about.

Today it's the Ouistreham dockers revolting; oh to be earning the money they do for the amount of work the job entails.....>:(

Chris

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I agree with the 'we are all going to get on anyway' brigade, and you win some you lose some. I realised that all the BF talk about it being a highly planned exercise is probably wishful thinking. At Portsmouth, when it is busy, they often call on a lane, and, because it is busy, the marshals send the new arrivals onto the end of that lane as it goes down, and they sail straight on the boat. But they don't get to France any sooner, and may well be on an upper or less accessible area that is slow to disembark. Swings and roundabouts.

What I can never understand is how almost every other ferry company can offer priorty boarding and disembarking but somehow BF can not manage it.

Well, for a start, the two together would be logistically impossible on most BF ships.  Apart from on the twin-level drive through ships on Portsmouth-Caen and Poole-Cherbourg, first on could not possibly go with being first off.  Unless you a lorry driver being parked on the main deck I suppose.  But cars get put on upper decks and mezzanines, so if you want to go on first you have to accept it will be a while before you will get off.

The whole boarding vehicle clasification thing is weird to me.

Our VW T4 is classed as a camper and therefore "has" to be classed as over height at 2.6 M not 1.9M.

So an MPV / 4x4 which are usually taller than our little VW are charged less for the crossing.

When this high classification results in us being stuck on deck 3 often right in the bow, I don't mind so much but often we find ourselves shoved an amongst the cars by the loading crew.

There is no  logic to it.

Rhys

43 minutes ago, Penlan said:

The whole boarding vehicle clasification thing is weird to me.

Our VW T4 is classed as a camper and therefore "has" to be classed as over height at 2.6 M not 1.9M.

So an MPV / 4x4 which are usually taller than our little VW are charged less for the crossing.

When this high classification results in us being stuck on deck 3 often right in the bow, I don't mind so much but often we find ourselves shoved an amongst the cars by the loading crew.

There is no  logic to it.

Rhys

As your vehicle is 1.9m it would still be booked as 2.6m.

The bands are designed for the Pont I believe. It would be cheaper sometimes to have bands for all vessels but a standardised system is easier and creates less confusion for passengers.

If an MPV/4x4 is taller than your vehicle, it will still be charged at that height, and will pay the same.

Edited by scarlton