Gareth

BF Refits 2017-18

With NEX currently out of the water at Cherbourg, and Etretat due off service after getting into Le Havre on Friday next week, it might be a good time to start a thread for all matters to do with the 2017-18 refit season.

Etretat kicks the season off, and will be replaced on the Le Havre route by BDS until returning to service from Portsmouth on 3 November.  During the absence of BDS from the Biscay routes, PA and CF continue their normal schedules.

Armorique then comes off-service after getting into Roscoff on the morning of 6 November.  Plymouth - Roscoff closes down for the period, which lasts until mid-December.  This is Armorique's first refit since the scrubber installation (for which I am assuming she will return to Santander).

Smultaneously with Armorique, it looks like CF will be off-service for about 2 weeks once BDS returns to Biscay after covering for Etretat.

Pont Aven is off for a couple of weeks end November / early December - I think there is another thread somewhere where we speculated about where she will be going but if I remember rightly the consensus was that she does not have enough time for a trip to Poland and so a brief dry-docking at Brest is most likely.

MSM's turn is in the new year, when she will be replaced for a month at Caen by Armorique.  Armorique then returns to Plymouth for the Half-Term week before covering for Barfleur at Poole for a week at the end of February.

As far as I can tell, apart from the fact that Bretagne will presumably receive some attention at some point during her 3-month lay-up, the BF refit season is complete by the end of February.  But I might have missed something because that doesn't feel right!

Edited by Gareth

I think Etretat will be back on the 3rd of November and not September, Gareth. Either that was a typo or just wishful thinking. :D. Ed.  

No rest period for Barfleur. She's in service through the winter apart from her week and a bit off for attention which (will presumably be spent in Cherbourg?).

She is being covered by Armorique while she receives whatever attention she's going to get.  Not sure whether it will be a dry docking or whether she will just go alongside in Chetbourg.  She did the latter last year which means it's probably time for a dry docking.  If it is a dry docking, not sure where it will be but her last one was for scrubber installation in Santander so wouldn't mind betting it will be there.

8 hours ago, Gareth said:

No rest period for Barfleur. She's in service through the winter apart from her week and a bit off for attention which (will presumably be spent in Cherbourg?).

According to the T/T Barfleur is out for the whole of Feb next year.  No service on Poole-Cherbourg for the first three weeks of the month and Armorique standing in for the last ten days, then one day with no service with Barfleur returning on 3-3-18.

6 minutes ago, Hawser Trunnion said:

According to the T/T Barfleur is out for the whole of Feb next year.  No service on Poole-Cherbourg for the first three weeks of the month and Armorique standing in for the last ten days, then one day with no service with Barfleur returning on 3-3-18.

Slight correction.  There is no service on Poole-Cherbourg for two and a half weeks before Armorique stands in.  Barfleur returns on 2-3-18 with her sailing from Cherbourg.  Armorique's last day is 1-3-18.

Yes, she was not dry docked last year and as HT says, her period out of service is a little longer than the period for which Armorique is covering.  So I expect we will see her return to Astanders.

I was talking to the chief engineer on Cap Finisterre yesterday, and especially about her dry docking this year. Apparently one of the big concerns they are having throughout the fleet is with the scrubber installations which may explain why some of the refits are longer than usual. 

I'm useless at all things mechanical but from what I can gather the SO2 (Sulphur Dioxide) emitted once fuel is burned reacts with the sea water in the scrubbing or washing system, to produce Sulphuric acid, and this is causing considerably more corrosion than was first envisaged. When fitted to the BF fleet these scrubbers were basically untested prototypes so although they work well there are consequences; my guess is they will be replacing parts on Armorique, Barfleur, CF, MSM and Pont-Aven during time off as from memory refits in the past lasted 2 - 3 weeks maximum.

Chris

And that sulphuric acid is being discharged directly into the sea so the parts which need replacing are below the waterline. Therefore what would otherwise have been a refit while afloat has to be switched to a dry-docking,  taking more time and costing more money. Ed 

Edited by Cabin-boy

I wonder if the constant spray from Armoriques funnel in warm weather was expected if it was a prototype? Imagine salty sea water causing corosion that’s a surprise!

Seems to me that this development makes it all but certain that Barfleur, Armorique, CF and MSM will be returning to Astanders.  I would imagine that BF is probably due a kind of warranty drydocking to deal with these problems with the scrubbers.

41 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

I wonder if the constant spray from Armoriques funnel in warm weather was expected if it was a prototype? Imagine salty sea water causing corosion that’s a surprise!

Yes that's a strange one Neil!

But I think it's more the unexpectedly high amounts of sulphuric acid literally eating the pipework that's the main problem....

Chris

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fine Whine said:

But I think it's more the unexpectedly high amounts of sulphuric acid literally eating the pipework that's the main problem...

Nice explanation but I'm not sure why anyone in their right mind would design a system that involved storing and discharging acid. The automatic addition of some relatively cheap substance like sodium hydroxide to neutralize the acid would pay dividends in reduced maintenance costs.

That combination would result in an extremely exothermic reaction, wouldn't it? And one that might therefore need extra cooling all of its own. Plus you would end up with molten salt deposits of sodium sulphate which will in fact speed up corrosion rates within the engines and exhaust systems. Ed.  

15 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

That combination would result in an extremely exothermic reaction, wouldn't it? And one that might therefore need extra cooling all of its own. Plus you would end up with molten salt deposits of sodium sulphate which will in fact speed up corrosion rates within the engines and exhaust systems. Ed.  

I would have thought it would not be beyond the wit of man to control the neutralization of the acid process to ensure that excessive heat is not generated and that alkaline salts are not the end result.

Perhaps you are right, and that will be the next step with something along those lines being installed during this first checkup,  one year on from the initial instalation. Ed. 

I wonder if we'll see Bretagne off-line for a shorter than expected time then. She might be required to come out and cover earlier than expected, as happened a couple of years ago when there were a few mechanicals elsewhere..

• Like 1

Armorique needs it, to scrape off the green slime on her bow at the very least, and paint over all the rust and scrape marks.

Even Pont Aven this week I noticed had huge green blobs over her bow. 

I wonder if there is something different this year with the water state in the channel which means there is more algae, or whatever it is, than usual. I do not recall either ever been as bad before...