Khaines

Deo Volente arriving in Poole

Excuse quality of the photos but the sun was almost overhead.  Apparently she is only delivering one of that pile!

IMG_0170.JPG

IMG_0171.JPG

IMG_0172.JPG

• Like 3

Evidently South Quay can't be finished yet as one imagines this is the kind of vessel it is being built for, indeed larger still.  Interesting that the call is to effect a delivery and not to take out a number of Sunseeker products.

1 hour ago, Hawser Trunnion said:

Evidently South Quay can't be finished yet as one imagines this is the kind of vessel it is being built for, indeed larger still.  Interesting that the call is to effect a delivery and not to take out a number of Sunseeker products.

I reckon she will still use this part of the quay as it is closest to the Sunseeker works, she can lift the boats directly there or in the water directly outside.

3 hours ago, Khaines said:

I reckon she will still use this part of the quay as it is closest to the Sunseeker works, she can lift the boats directly there or in the water directly outside.

But aren't they hoping for larger ships than Deo Volente?

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, Hawser Trunnion said:

Yes, but the new New Quay will be nearly twice as long as the new South Quay although it will only be 7.5 metres deep as opposed to the 9 metres at South Quay.

10 hours ago, Hawser Trunnion said:

Still logical for Deo Volente to moor as close as possible.

10 hours ago, quincy said:

Photos of South Quay from the Barfleur 2nd Oct.

P1010246.JPG

Thanks for this.  Obviously South Quay isn't finished.  I must say it looks smaller than I imagined but perhaps one should defer judgment until after it is in fact finished and in use.  It's an indication as to the cost of things when one realises the actual cost of this project is put at £10 millions apparently.

Was looking at her design and wondered if she could lower herself in the water like Mighty Servant.  She takes general cargo, not just other boats.  Obviously she would not be able to submerge herself like the Servant, but wondered if she could lower herself to assist loading with especially heavy cargo - after all she is a heavy lift ship like the Servant.

Yes it looks short,it could be the angle i took the photo.Think the view attached may show a different perspective.

P1010251.JPG

1 hour ago, Khaines said:

Was looking at her design and wondered if she could lower herself in the water like Mighty Servant.  She takes general cargo, not just other boats.  Obviously she would not be able to submerge herself like the Servant, but wondered if she could lower herself to assist loading with especially heavy cargo - after all she is a heavy lift ship like the Servant.

Draught marks only go up as far as the load line which is just above where the red hull paint changes to blue, so don't think she does.

If you look at Mighty Servant, they go all the way to the anchor:

http://m3.i.pbase.com/g1/98/696298/2/118286373.koOYOPmg.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, quincy said:

Yes it looks short,it could be the angle i took the photo.Think the view attached may show a different perspective.

P1010251.JPG

Yes, I think it does show a different perspective and presents South Quay more as I thought it would be be, but it is still far from finished but then it was said construction would take until the end of the year.  It will be interesting to see the anticipated larger ships berthed there. 

One notes Condor Lib has disappeared.

The port area in the distance seems full of trailers, doubtless to do with MN Pelican.

The Lib is still there, it's just out of the picture. Just hoping that there will be a P H B open evening next month may learn what could happen when South Quay opens for business.