• Announcements

• Andy

Newbuild News   23/01/18

UPDATE: With the arrival of two newbuild ships to the fleet in the coming years, we've resurrected 'Newbuild News' to act as a place to keep the latest information on the progress of the Honfleur and the as-yet-unnamed E-Flexer being built by Stena for charter to BF.
Andy

BF Confirm Charter of 'E-Flexer'

The passenger walkway was definitely in use in 2013 when we came back from Santander on her, though we were the only ones using it! I can't remember which deck we entered on though, sorry.

18 hours ago, hhvferry said:

Wasn't the height issue because of larger UK-sized domestic supermarket trailers which were larger than the original build allowed for - hence they carved space out of the beams along the upper deck to facilitate and then had to mess around with the forward door area to permit exit on that level? That bit of raised flooring at the front of the forward bar conceals the work they had to do at that end. The accommodation they had on the upper trailer deck as built I think was just a module bolted on around the central casing and shouldn't have affected the ability of freight to get on or off.

Either way, as you say Cap Fin never had that accommodation or needs the extra height that the Cairnryan pair - I'd be interested/surprised if she had height issues with the forward door relative to the deck height as it was always Superfast's intention to run them in proper drive-through mode in the Adriatic (the ports of Ancona and Patras refused, and continue to refuse, to build linkspans to let them do this).

Yes, it had to be removed anyway though as there wouldn’t have been the clearance for UK lorries to get off as it intruded into the central lanes which are now raised.  I think it also caused issues with manouvering vehicles in a similar way to the pillars that were put in after the central lanes were raised, some of which have now been removed to reduce the problem.

I was just wondering if Cap had a similar area, that’s all :).

From the top of my head the actual passenger capacity of the Eflexers is 923, with the balance of the 1000 being crew.  No guarantee that will be the case with the BF example, or even the Stena ones tbh as Stena have indicated they can and will be fitted out differently according to their area of operation.  They are definitely twin drive through loading (works are already planned in Belfast and Birkenhead to accommodate this I believe), with a separate deck for cars so far as I know, but there’s been no indication whether there are ramps between the main vehicle decks or not so far as I am aware.  They will need to be twin drive through on the Birkenhead route (if that’s were they eventually end up of course) due to turnaround times.  Given they are supposedly designed to be as flexible as possible I’d imagine they do have ramps, but who knows?!

The options are for 2+2 as someone has already pointed out.

Edited by tarbyonline

10 hours ago, Gareth said:

It’s width Jonno.  Now that the Santander linkspan has been widened she berths stern-in at Santander too.  The bow entrance is just so narrow that they consider it preferable to operate her now as a stern loader at all ports.

I wouldn’t have thought the bow entrance to have been particularly narrow?

is Pompey not getting a new linkspan.  Will that alleviate the bow first height difference issue?

Maybe it’s height then?  But I was always under the impression that at the bow they could only load / unload one lane at a time whereas through the stern they could do two lanes in parallel?

5 hours ago, jonno said:

I've not travelled on Cap' as a footie to Santander since 2010, then we all walked off/on through the bow and walked on/off at the stern in Portsmouth.

So does that mean that the CF has never had a means of attaching a passenger gangway from the side?

1 hour ago, hf_uk said:

So does that mean that the CF has never had a means of attaching a passenger gangway from the side?

I think Ryan has posted above that he's used it in 2013.

1 hour ago, hf_uk said:

She definitely used one in Cherbourg in her debut season -

image.jpeg.67036ea53616342510b29cb665bedb70.jpeg

2 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Wasn't it established at some point last year that they no longer accept foot passengers on the Cap? Ed. 

Nice pic, yes thanks OK, so it attaches to the external covered area under the lifeboats... I've never seen it attached.

Needn't necessarily be for foot passengers though... staff, cleaners,  entertainers, crew, officials... they could all have a more sociable entry if the stern foot ramp isn't connected.

Her bow and stern foot passenger gangways are integral forming part of the ramps. There is an escalator at the rear which leads to an area beside the Planets Bar.

If as rumoured BF want her replaced on the Portsmouth-Spain route (3/1 odds on another E-Flexer anyone?) I think she'd be ideal for Cork-Santander-Roscoff. Very similar freight as a Visentini but a bit more upmarket with scope to increase pax numbers. She could also keep the same crew to keep the Unions happy.

The Cap Finistere height restriction was due to the inner bow door which could accept your standard European trailers but anything taller or abnormal loads were via the stern only.  The old Santander linkspan wasn't wide enough for the stern doors of Cap Finistere that's why she was always bow in there. Now they have a wider linkspan she can use her stern doors so is now stern in.  When she was bow in at Santander the gangway could be used and was landed under the fwd lifeboat on deck 7.  I don't know if they use it now she is stern in.

• Like 5

On 15/02/2018 at 19:24, Cabin-boy said:

Wasn't it established at some point last year that they no longer accept foot passengers on the Cap? Ed. 

This is indeed the case.

43 minutes ago, scarlton said:

This is indeed the case.

It's not possible to book foot passenger tickets online for the Cap Finistere, however if there is enough space available onboard limited foot passenger bookings can be made via the call centre. 

• Like 1

Does that mean they wait until the car deck is full, then calculate how many passenger spaces remain unfilled and put them on sale? Or is there a cut off date say two weeks before departure at which point the bookings are open to all? And how does that then work for the return - do they tell you what to take or can you choose? It seems a bit confusing. Ed. 

It is possible to book foot passenger tickets online for the Cap Finistere on the Santander to Portsmouth route and twice a year Bilbao to Plymouth.