Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hello,

is there a place where I can find out the height of the ships in the BF fleet? It is a dimension that is quite relevant but I can't seem to find it anywhere, whereas I can find beam, draught etc. I think the height of the ships should be listed on the dimensions section of, for example, Wikipedia.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reading between the lines on this website suggests the PONT AVEN to be around 40 metres. But this article predates her scrubber installation which might make her higher than she previously was or lower. Her radio/radar mast is probably higher than the funnel too but there is now some black object sticking up from the funnel which in certain photos looks higher than the aforementioned masts. 

https://www.google.fr/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://brittany-seas-ships.jimdo.com/brittany-ferries/fleet/pont-aven/&ved=0ahUKEwisldXu2NLXAhVsCsAKHTVyDZIQFghfMAM&usg=AOvVaw1ItiWU0K7CCZBsIN0jy4I4

For the rest of the fleet, I'll have to keep searching. 

Ed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Air draft is only relevant if a ship has to pass under bridges or powerlines etc. Obviously it will be known by the crew for navigational purposes but is of little interest otherwise. In practical terms it has to be added to tide levels at any given time to avoid the possibility of unfortunate consequences. The reason for the funnel on Queen Mary 2 being rather squat is to allow the ship to pass under the Verrazano Narrows Bridge in New York harbour,  I think there is about 12 feet clearance. It was certainly quite interesting at 6am when we passed under back in 2011. Air draft can also be an issue for cruise ships visiting Bergen and other Baltic destinations and affects the routes they can take.

Verrazano bridge.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pont Aven is definately less than 52 metres high as she can fit under the Pont de Normandie to travel up the Seine to Rouen. I can't think of any other members of the fleet which might have had to fit under a bridge in their service with BF except perhaps Barfleur when she was laid up in Caen.

Ed

 

Edited by Cabin-boy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Reading between the lines on this website suggests the PONT AVEN to be around 40 metres. But this article predates her scrubber installation which might make her higher than she previously was or lower. Her radio/radar mast is probably higher than the funnel too but there is now some black object sticking up from the funnel which in certain photos looks higher than the aforementioned masts. 

https://www.google.fr/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://brittany-seas-ships.jimdo.com/brittany-ferries/fleet/pont-aven/&ved=0ahUKEwisldXu2NLXAhVsCsAKHTVyDZIQFghfMAM&usg=AOvVaw1ItiWU0K7CCZBsIN0jy4I4

For the rest of the fleet, I'll have to keep searching. 

Ed

The black object you can see is her Light & Horn and a Step-Ladder. It has always been there and the new funnel and scrubber system was built around it.

1.jpg

Edited by TonyMWeaver
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Isaac Mitchell said:

Hello,

is there a place where I can find out the height of the ships in the BF fleet? It is a dimension that is quite relevant but I can't seem to find it anywhere, whereas I can find beam, draught etc. I think the height of the ships should be listed on the dimensions section of, for example, Wikipedia.

Welcome to the forum Isaac,

I'm intrigued as to why you consider this statistic "relevant"?  As cvabishop says, it is only of navigational significance when passing under a bridge or similar.  As far as I know, the only times that BF ships do this is on passage through the Oresund en route to/from Gdansk.

Do you have any other circumstances in mind where this statistic is relevant?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/11/2017 at 21:02, Gareth said:

Welcome to the forum Isaac,

I'm intrigued as to why you consider this statistic "relevant"?  As cvabishop says, it is only of navigational significance when passing under a bridge or similar.  As far as I know, the only times that BF ships do this is on passage through the Oresund en route to/from Gdansk.

Do you have any other circumstances in mind where this statistic is relevant?

Not really, it is just a part of the ship info i'd like to know about! thank anyway! Merry christmas:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/11/2017 at 21:02, Gareth said:

As far as I know, the only times that BF ships do this is on passage through the Oresund en route to/from Gdansk.

The festive cruises also pass under bridges whilst sailing down the Seine to Rouen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have deliberately been on the top deck of PA at Xmas when it goes the up the Seine and it always looked as though it cannot get under the two bridges. In the end there was 'plenty' of clearance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/22/2017 at 17:29, Cabin-boy said:

Reading between the lines on this website suggests the PONT AVEN to be around 40 metres. But this article predates her scrubber installation which might make her higher than she previously was or lower. Her radio/radar mast is probably higher than the funnel too but there is now some black object sticking up from the funnel which in certain photos looks higher than the aforementioned masts. 

https://www.google.fr/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://brittany-seas-ships.jimdo.com/brittany-ferries/fleet/pont-aven/&ved=0ahUKEwisldXu2NLXAhVsCsAKHTVyDZIQFghfMAM&usg=AOvVaw1ItiWU0K7CCZBsIN0jy4I4

For the rest of the fleet, I'll have to keep searching. 

Ed

I would say the new scrubber exhaust chutes are now the highest point on Pont Aven. You can see the old funnel inside the scrubber structure, a good few metres lower. Prior to scrubbers her mast was probably the tallest point, but you can see, despite the angle, from this photo it looks that way: 2436164.jpg 

 

Edit - as Cabin boy mentioned - the mount for her Horn is actually now a little higher, after it was re-positioned on the new scrubber structure....:

http://www.shipspotting.com/photos/middle/9/8/7/2468789.jpg

and...

2506239.jpg

That really is some funnel eh!

Edited by hf_uk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Together with air draft there's also the squat effect to be considered, when a vessel travels quickly through shallow water lowered pressure hydrodynamically causes the hull to be drawn down toward the seabed.

Oasis of the Seas used this to pass under the Great Belt Bridge together with having the ability to lower her air draft by having telescopic stacks.

Air draft, the bane of many Broads hire fleet operators. There's nothing like watching a bloke on his jollies try taking a 44ft long Alpha hull with an air draft of 8ft 6ins under a 6ft railway bridge

Alpha hull under Thorpe railway bridge..jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Poor old Roman can't have a choice of many rivers to sail down.... I can't imagine this getting under too many bridges! :

2C9E9A2500000578-3243137-image-m-3_14428

 

Shame!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

Presumably he's got enough cash to have the bridge either raised or temporarily relocated as required. Ed. 

Indeed.... just knock it down and build a new one:) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, hf_uk said:

I would say the new scrubber exhaust chutes are now the highest point on Pont Aven. You can see the old funnel inside the scrubber structure, a good few metres lower. Prior to scrubbers her mast was probably the tallest point, but you can see, despite the angle, from this photo it looks that way: 

Edit - as Cabin boy mentioned - the mount for her Horn is actually now a little higher, after it was re-positioned on the new scrubber structure....:

The gantry above the funnel is primarily for her second masthead light which as a vessel over 50m she must display when underway and making way and be above the level of the forward mast headlight. It also must be clear of all other obstructions and lights and be visible from right ahead to 22.5° abaft the beam on each side (or 112.5° from right ahead) with a minimum range of 6 nautical miles.  Because of these requirements the second masthead light is often, though not always, the highest point on the ship.

If anyone is having trouble sleeping give Annex I of the Colregs a go!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/12/2017 at 20:26, Andy said:

The festive cruises also pass under bridges whilst sailing down the Seine to Rouen.

Yes of course, thanks Andy.  Don’t know how I forgot about that one!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Timmy said:

The gantry above the funnel is primarily for her second masthead light which as a vessel over 50m she must display when underway and making way and be above the level of the forward mast headlight. It also must be clear of all other obstructions and lights and be visible from right ahead to 22.5° abaft the beam on each side (or 112.5° from right ahead) with a minimum range of 6 nautical miles.  Because of these requirements the second masthead light is often, though not always, the highest point on the ship.

If anyone is having trouble sleeping give Annex I of the Colregs a go!

Interesting... Cheers Timmy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×