Sign in to follow this  
veryoldbear

MSM Tuesday 05 December

Time for an update on one of our little trips:

It was one of those days when nothing seems to go right. Stacked up with Christmas goodies at LeClerc St Lo, only to find that all the staff were off to lunch. Man in front at the checkout with large box which the scanner couldn't identify, fuss bother, phone calls. Time runs out and we had to abandon Christmas goodies and rush off for the ferry.

On the MSM we committed the unpardonable CRIME of leaving our bags on our seats while popping up for a cuppa, and were hauled off to Information to atone for our sins. Quite how this latest stricture adds to safety or security makes very little sense. I therefore will not be buying any duty free on BF if I have to lug it around with me all the time.

On the plus point the restaurant was nearly deserted and the menu was excellent.

Then the final downer for the day was the closure of the A34 requiring us to use the vile Basingstoke to Newbury road to get home, a route that I hate as the reek of the rotten fens, especially at night time.

Oh well, you win some, you lose some.:D

Edited by veryoldbear
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

Could you not leave the bags in the room for leaving bags ?

The baggage room is locked from 30 minutes after sailing to 30 minutes before arrival. What do you do with stuff you want during the crossing, like my laptop, Mrs Bear's magazines and knitting and kindle, and duty free that you may (or may not) have picked up from the shop? Take them all along to the restaurant and scatter them around for people to trip over? And how can you use the self-service as an alternative?

Or is it just a plan by BF to push people into booking cabins?

55 minutes ago, veryoldbear said:

Time for an update on one of our little trips:

It was one of those days when nothing seems to go right. Stacked up with Christmas goodies at LeClerc St Lo, only to find that all the staff were off to lunch. Man in front at the checkout with large box which the scanner couldn't identify, fuss bother, phone calls. Time runs out and we had to abandon Christmas goodies and rush off for the ferry.

On the MSM we committed the unpardonable CRIME of leaving our bags on our seats while popping up for a cuppa, and were hauled off to Information to atone for our sins. Quite how this latest stricture adds to safety or security makes very little sense. I therefore will not be buying any duty free on BF if I have to lug it around with me all the time.

On the plus point the restaurant was nearly deserted and the menu was excellent.

Then the final downer for the day was the closure of the A34 requiring us to use the vile Basingstoke to Newbury road to get home, a route that I hate as the reek of the rotten fens, especially at night time.

Oh well, you win some, you lose some.:D

Sorry to hear that veryoldbear - but the baggage thing is good in a way that at least they ARE very astute in these somewhat volatile times!

22 minutes ago, veryoldbear said:

The baggage room is locked from 30 minutes after sailing to 30 minutes before arrival. What do you do with stuff you want during the crossing, like my laptop, Mrs Bear's magazines and knitting and kindle, and duty free that you may (or may not) have picked up from the shop? Take them all along to the restaurant and scatter them around for people to trip over? And how can you use the self-service as an alternative?

Or is it just a plan by BF to push people into booking cabins?

I didn’t realise that as my Mrs won’t travel without a cabin , can you not get across again before Christmas?

Perhaps they could install a rack of a dozen lockers behind the reception area for people to leave objects in during the crossing but still have access as and when needed. They could be policed by the front-of-house staff to be sure that nothing dangerous is being deposited. As for heavy duty-free purchases, why not wait until half-an-hour or so before arrival to buy them? Or ask the shop staff if they'll hang on to the bag for you until later in the crossing? Ed

The biggest sin was not leaving enough time to get the shopping done, always leave plenty of time for stocking up.

12 hours ago, Solo said:

The biggest sin was not leaving enough time to get the shopping done, always leave plenty of time for stocking up.

Yes, that was our fault entirely.

12 hours ago, TonyMWeaver said:

Leaving your bags unattended is inexcusable, especially with the recent terror attacks.

So one is supposed to lug all ones stuff around the ship? Come on board find a seat, sit down, lug everything off to the self-service, wrangle a tray, eat, go and find somewhere else to sit etc? Leaving bags unattended makes not a jot of improvement to security. It would be easier just to leave a bomb in the car or blow up the baggage room ... it is just window dressing.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, veryoldbear said:

So one is supposed to lug all ones stuff around the ship? Come on board find a seat, sit down, lug everything off to the self-service, wrangle a tray, eat, go and find somewhere else to sit etc? Leaving bags unattended makes not a jot of improvement to security. It would be easier just to leave a bomb in the car or blow up the baggage room ... it is just window dressing.

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. But for as long as I can remember, leaving unaccompanied bags anywhere in public areas on transport has been frowned upon. France, in particular, has been very conscious of this for years with the "Plan Vigipirate" which saw left luggage lockers out of use and bins at stations etc all use clear bin bags or even at one point open trays on the floor instead of bins. If leaving bags becomes 'normal' then it makes it much easier for someone to leave something suspicious. 

If you're on a ship the answer is relatively simple, only take what you can carry. If you need to go shopping, do it as late as possible to minimise carrying time, use the carry to car service or just ask if you can pick it up later. 

On 12/7/2017 at 08:51, veryoldbear said:

It would be easier just to leave a bomb in the car or blow up the baggage room ... it is just window dressing.

Much easier and much less effective. A makeshift bomb in the car would with almost certainty result in no loss of life. Blowing up the baggage room would not likely cause loss.

A bomb in the public areas of a ship however would most certainly cause loss of life.

I am sorry you and Mrs Bear had a hard time on this occasion. Even if these are first world problems.

Yes, it’s a shame it spoilt the crossing for you.  But on the bright side, at least you got your bags back and they weren’t destroyed in a controlled explosion! 😀

Interesting what you say about the restaurant.  Out of interest, were they running the buffet?

On 12/12/2017 at 10:14, Gareth said:

Yes, it’s a shame it spoilt the crossing for you.  But on the bright side, at least you got your bags back and they weren’t destroyed in a controlled explosion! 😀

Interesting what you say about the restaurant.  Out of interest, were they running the buffet?

No, not enough people on board. I guess they don't run it unless there are enough passengers (ex HGV)