Sign in to follow this  
zuludelta

Anybody know why BF does not use self-service check-in for foot pax?

To use two examples, Viking Line and  Transmediterranea (previously Acciona) both use self-service  check-in for their foot pax.

Anybody know why BF does not have use it in any of their terminals for their foot pax?

Also - with a few exceptions, I have never seen huge numbers of foot passengers waiting inside BF terminals... often only a couple of dozen, so I would presume it's quite an investment for a quite small numbers... Self service vehicle checkin - now that's another story LOL

I’m pretty sure when we traveled LD to Le Havre a few years ago they used ANPR to check in , with more and more app based systems becoming available such as the like used for hotel keys it seems a not too distant possiblity .

26 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

I’m pretty sure when we traveled LD to Le Havre a few years ago they used ANPR to check in , with more and more app based systems becoming available such as the like used for hotel keys it seems a not too distant possiblity .

Big investment if you think of the number of individual car lanes accross all the ports though....

49 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

Big investment if you think of the number of individual car lanes accross all the ports though....

But less employees .

58 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

But less employees .

I guess so, but a bit like self service checkouts- you would still need about a 1:4 ratio of staff to be there to assist problems, plus possibly extra security, maintaining the equipment, and of course, both before and after the check-in cars still need to be shunted/directed around the ports, so I don't think it is quite a much of a clear benefit as with other sectors perhaps.

Given the number of foot pax at the CFT plus the fact you have to have the desk manned for enquiries I suspect the return on investment would be not un-adjacent to a  minus number!

I noticed over the weekend that DFDS has self check-in kiosks installed in both North Shields and Ijmuiden, but they are all 'out of order'!

Maybe not. But BF probably don't want to go down that route as it's not synonymous with the premium service and experience which they (and their pricing structure) wish to convey. Ed

Yes indeed, BF are trying to sell a premium experience. They are trying to be the BA or M&S of the sea. And customers certainly do pay for it. I think it is wonderful.

This may not be the correct forum for this but I am getting increasingly worried at how cut off and isolated people are becoming with things such as self service. Things are also fast becoming too convenient as well.

Loneliness is a real issue for people today and it is becoming more and more unusual to talk and interact with each other. The elderly no longer take a short walk down to their local shops to find everything they need from a fruit and veg shop, butcher who knows you by name ect, now they are to go to busy supermarkets where they are encouraged to use self service or interact with someone briefly and always different (in all likelihood). Worse still they find the supermarket is too far and they have their needs delivered and don't go out at all.

First world problem - but I really dislike self service and the way things have gone re above. I hope when I am a little older people will take the time to talk to me or not think I am some weirdo because I said 'hello' to them.

Seems to me people are in such a hurry, such a rush, they are forgetting, in some ways, how to interact and value each other.

Edited by Trev
  • Like 2

As well as being a wonderful tool for researching things the internet has a lot to answer for, we all build our virtual worlds

even to the extent of not even sending greetings cards anymore and I am doing it by posting this reply, not quite got to the 

stage of e-mailing my beloved to put the kettle on.

• Haha 1

Very true indeed, valid arguments to be had there...

I would argue however that actually the internet has made the world a much smaller place. It makes it much easier for people to keep in contact with people they have met and/or loved ones all over the world.

Before you would write a letter and maybe enclose a little something and stump up the postage. Now you can skype your loved one who lives on the other side of the world (providing you make it work with the different time zones) and with a webcam have a conversation sort of face to face. All for free. (sort of)

Indeed this very forum has allowed us to communicate. Before someone would have set up a club or something in a town and there would have been weekly meetings or something - which is fine. But now anybody around the world can join in if they want and anytime they want thanks to the creator of this forum.

I feel the internet in regards to social isolation is a double edged sword.

I apologize, the thread topic has gone way off and it is my fault.

I recall my experience with Viking Line in 2016 when checking-in for my Stockholm-Helsinki round trip. The terminal was packed with people, but there were plenty of self-service machines which made it incredibly simple to print our boarding cards, and from there we simply took the escalator and boarded the ship; the whole process literally took five minutes, despite the large numbers of people.

I take the point about the Schengen agreement, but when it comes to dealing with large numbers of foot passengers, I would suggest a number of our operators (in particular DFDS and P&O) could learn a lot from the Baltic.

Long time since I travelled without the car, but the thought of any self check-in horrifies me.  I avoid self scan check-outs at supermarkets and 'hate' airport arrangements.  Is a discount offered for those who would use this facility if made available? - otherwise the face to face greeting etc gets my vote every time! (despite the possibility of a queue at busy times.

21 hours ago, nottingham said:

Long time since I travelled without the car, but the thought of any self check-in horrifies me.  I avoid self scan check-outs at supermarkets and 'hate' airport arrangements.  Is a discount offered for those who would use this facility if made available? - otherwise the face to face greeting etc gets my vote every time! (despite the possibility of a queue at busy times.

I completely agree - would rather queue and get face to face service than using any self service check in.

Also manually checking everyone in is an additional security measure