Sign in to follow this  
penguin

Favourite French films

9 hours ago, crechbleiz said:

Professor T is indeed very good. 

Mrs Sneyers always steals the scenes :)

34 minutes ago, Jim said:

Mrs Sneyers always steals the scenes :)

I know the Belgians are always portrayed as being inept (particularly in the French media), but if the same woman keeps stealing the same thing every week it must make it very easy for the police to solve the case, even without Prof. T's help. :D Ed. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, rileyman said:

Showing in Malvern soon is Tirez sur le Pianiste plus a concert Jacques Brel songs.

When I was at University (early sixties) we had a brand new 'Theatre, Maison de la Culture' in Caen and there were frequent top concerts. But the Jacques Brel evening stands out in my memory, in spite of the wealth of singing talent in France. Very privileged to have been there. As it happened, it was just a couple of days before Johnny H and Sylvie V were appearing at the Trianon theatre (a cinema with a stage). Probably explains why I was never a great fan of those two, still being on a high from JB.

Edited by rogerpatenall
felt the need to meddle a bit

On ‎08‎-‎01‎-‎2018 at 14:44, neilcvx said:

“Leon” has a very big French influence in it and some amazing acting from Gary Oldman and Jean Reno.

Jean Reno played a similar character (a hitman/"cleaner") in "Nikita" - the original French film was much better than the US remake. There are also a couple of American TV series based on the Nikita character.

Another French classic is "A Bout de Souffle" or "Breathless" with Jean-Paul Belmondo and Jean Seberg. The remake with Richard Gere lacked a certain je ne sais quoi. :)

On the TV front, a second vote from me for "Spin" and of course there is "Spiral" or "Engrenages" to give it the French title. Series 6 currently on BBC4, 9pm Saturdays, is excellent so far. Episodes 5 & 6 this Saturday, the earlier episodes are on BBC iplayer.

I can commend a subtitled series currently on Netflix "La Mante" (The Mantis), a really gory whodunnit with multiple murders and twists in the plot throughout.

I will stick to 'Death in Paradise', I know it's just TV but the French love it apparently. Just what you need at this time of year. (And you don't get short changed!) :D

it must be, at least, years that saw Last Year at Marienbad - Alain Resnais. I recently saw it again and still do not know what was going on ?????