Gareth

Cork to Santander Route to Launch in 2018

Admin

NEWS: The Official Press Release regarding the new Ireland - Spain route can be read here. 16/01/18

Message added by Admin

Yes, I wondered whether omitting the Roscoff call might be the solution too.  Would enable them to operate Connemara without disruption from the French unions.  But my worry would be what the unions could do to the rest of the route network.

I agree that this will have been in the planning for a while at BF towers.  And the only way of testing this route is to minimise the risk.  But if they have to increase their costs to appease the French unions and the experiment doesn’t work, or if they were to face widespread industrial action on the mainstream routes through the summer, then the risk could quickly escalate to levels that would have the potential to cripple the company.  I can’t see BF management being willing to let that happen.

The way I understand the situation is yes, BF have been crunching the numbers for some time, the opportunity arose to charter the vessel and they had to move sharpish. The comité d'entreprises (a form of employee representative committee that includes both BF personnel and Unions) gave the green light to the project but it would appear the Union hierarchy including one notorious hothead have got the hump. Let's hope sense will prevail this time once the various points of view have been openly discussed around the table.

Chris 

• Like 1

If the Unions have any sense, they'll see it as future increase in employment. I understand that if its a success they'll move it to French crew, and so extra employment opportunities. Its in their own interests to make it a success for their members.

1 minute ago, richwarwicker said:

If the Unions have any sense, they'll see it as future increase in employment. I understand that if its a success they'll move it to French crew, and so extra employment opportunities. Its in their own interests to make it a success for their members.

Yep...absolutely......if they have any sense...... 

i'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong but are Etretat & Connemara the first sisters Brittany Ferries have operated together?

Just now, nick hall said:

i'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong but are Etretat & Connemara the first sisters Brittany Ferries have operated together?

No sooner had I pressed post when I remembered Purbeck & Coutances. O.o

The Asterion has now arrived in the shiprepair zone in Perama. She looks to be waiting for the Nissos Samos to leave the floating dry dock.

On 10/02/2018 at 21:52, nick hall said:

No sooner had I pressed post when I remembered Purbeck & Coutances. O.o

I’m a bit hazy on the chronology, but I don’t recall that BF ever operated Purbeck.  I thought that Coutances was the only one of the pair that sailed for BF, but I might be wrong.

42 minutes ago, hhvferry said:

The Asterion has now arrived in the shiprepair zone in Perama. She looks to be waiting for the Nissos Samos to leave the floating dry dock.

Thanks hhv.  Is this for repairs to her recent problem, or specifically to get her ready for her transfer to BF?

10 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Thanks hhv.  Is this for repairs to her recent problem, or specifically to get her ready for her transfer to BF?

I don't think this was scheduled but it's hard to tell as ANEK have switched vessels to cover her absence so there isn't a gap in the timetables. She is down to return to Patra-Venice sailings on 22nd Feb. Then again she is still listed as sailing for them for the rest of the year.

On 05/02/2018 at 21:45, RickOShea said:

I don't know, there are some nice lines at the front surely?

Etretat looking quite impressive in Portsmouth this morning (from this angle at least)

Chris

0F548D7A-A6D0-4F7F-9408-2F079DF28BB8.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Lovely video, if the deck numbers are consistent with the Etretat, deck 7 is the small addon at the top.

It will be interesting when next years timetables come out to see what happens, I have never believed that the Normandie will end up in Le Havre, it would make more sense to use it on a Spanish route and use Connemara  to supplement Etretat to give up to 3 return crossings a day.

47 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Lovely video, if the deck numbers are consistent with the Etretat, deck 7 is the small addon at the top.

It will be interesting when next years timetables come out to see what happens, I have never believed that the Normandie will end up in Le Havre, it would make more sense to use it on a Spanish route and use Connemara  to supplement Etretat to give up to 3 return crossings a day.

Interesting idea certainly. They would have to switch the crews around to satisfy the unions but it would be a nice idea and provide a more sophisticated way of getting down to Spain with a restaurant and cinemas etc. Ed. 

2 hours ago, Fine Whine said:

Etretat looking quite impressive in Portsmouth this morning (from this angle at least)

For me it's the sides of the Visentini's which let them down. Maybe if the Italians had built them with with another grouping of window spaces under the lifeboats to offer a bit more continuity and a brighter interior they'd feel a little less oppressive.

They are great seakeepers. I suppose we mustn't forget that their designers successfully achieved their goal which was all about creating a high quality freight carrier first and foremost, passengers where a secondary thought. Stena have proved with their two Mersey vessels what can be done with a little more investment. I'd be happy to see Connemara and Etretat replaced by those two.

1 hour ago, David Williams said:

I have never believed that the Normandie will end up in Le Havre, it would make more sense to use it on a Spanish route

I wouldn't put a 25+ year old RoPax full time on the Bay of Biscay.

6 hours ago, David Williams said:

Looking at the Norman Asturias deck plans that were posted on here some weeks ago the small add on on top would be a deck 8 but is not listed as such, deck seven is integrated into the design. Maybe the carbuncle is the captains day cabin or for technical equipment since it has 2 small raydomes on top!