Sign in to follow this  
kenw

Hotel picks Intra-Muros?

Last time in St Malo - as opposed to travelling further afield - we stayed outside the town centre along the Sillon beachfront. If we go this year my poor mobility suggests we stay Intra-Muros. Some years ago we had a comfortable night at Hotel de l'Univers.

Any other recommendations? We generally prefer a hotel with a restaurant or at least a bar on site in case of [a] downpours and mobility gremlins.

TIA

Ken

Re: Hotel picks Intra-Muros?

Last time in St Malo - as opposed to travelling further afield - we stayed outside the town centre along the Sillon beachfront. If we go this year my poor mobility suggests we stay Intra-Muros. Some years ago we had a comfortable night at Hotel de l'Univers.

Any other recommendations? We generally prefer a hotel with a restaurant or at least a bar on site in case of [a] downpours and mobility gremlins.

TIA

Ken

I don't think that the Hotel de l'Univers has a restaurant any more, but as you will know, there are plenty within a few metres.

I don't think that the Hotel de l'Univers has a restaurant any more, but as you will know, there are plenty within a few metres.

I stayed at the l'Univers in December and they only served breakfast, but we had no trouble finding some other great restaurants a short walk away :)

The Univers is still fine as a hotel, but as stated no longer has a restaurant. The France et Chateaubriand next door is fine too. FYI the Duchesse Anne has new owners, keeping to the same formula. No reports yet.

Last year's planned St Malo trip turned into Caen – won't bore you with the reasons. But we are back there week comm 25 March, this time staying at Hotel du Louvre. Brief report will follow

Hotel du Louvre, Saint-Malo Intra Muros

Tuesday 26 March – 2 nights

As promised…

After a mix-up of dates, Brittany Ferries call centre had quickly switched our reservation to the Hotel du Louvre, a three-star property Intra-Muros.

We were delighted. This is everything a traditional, independent French hotel should be. Arriving from our overnight crossing on Bretagne, it was no surprise that our room was not ready; but the courteous and helpful receptionist invited us to leave our bags and have breakfast.

The buffet on offer would put many four-star big name hotels to shame. The selection included fruit salad and cereals, pastries, fresh bread made from farmhouse flour, slices of ham and cheese, conserves and honey. Plus a tray of eggs with a boiler and traditional sand in glass timers – with a helpful notice advising patrons that the eggs were raw and that the timers would last for three minutes.

An excellent push-button machine dispensed a range of coffees including a large espresso that was fragrant, hot and strong. Having spent several months last year evaluating such machines, this model deserves full marks for speed, temperature and size of cup dispensed.

After breakfast the sun tried hard to break through so we had a stroll through the town and lunch before returning to claim our room.

Room 304 is a bright and spacious corner room with a double bed and full bathroom; very clean, comfortable and tidy. The king-sized bed will appeal to those who appreciate a firm mattress, with cushions and extra pillows provided.

Wi-fi is free, and the television includes a range of French and international channels including BBC World and France 24 in both French and English.

There’s no restaurant, but with everything from sandwich bars to Michelin and Gault-Millau listed establishments within a 5–10 minute walk, that hardly matters.

The only caution: as with many hotels, the lift is one of the smallest you can find. The official capacity is three people – but it was full with two of us and our bags. Guests suffering from claustrophobia should take the stairs.

Conclusion: Recommended for anyone who wants to stay in the old town

We had a short break at the Univers last year and it was fine. Prices in the outside bar were also significantly cheaper than the surrounding establishments. Breakfast was decent too.

Claustrophobic lift again but it did the job!

Perhaps worth a look at Trip Advisor reviews : Le Nautilus is their number one, but there are other reviews of other places well worth reading

I've also stayed in Hotel du Louvre in the past and have always found it plesant. I also used Hotel Central just acroiss the way a few times but this has recently been sold and is now a boutique hotel called Maison des Armateurs - haven't stayed there yet but it looks quite smart from the outside.

More recently I've been staying in Hotel Oceana, which is just outside the walls - a modern but stylish hotel and is well worth a look at.

Another worth considering is the Valmarin, hidden in the back streets of S Servan. Not the cheapest but check latest offers, and a stone's throw from the Solidor beach and restaurants, a short walk to the shops of the Rue Ville Pepin, several attractive parks and gardens. OK Intra Muros is 25 minutes walk, but the hotel and its gardens are lovely.

~Agree with Colin that the Valmarin is a very smart option in S. Servan.

We prefer the Hotel du Rance as it has a more relaxed feel but it is undergoing major renovation and may be re-opening as apartments and not a hotel which is a shame.

Not to be dismissed is the Mercure on the Seafront, slightly East of the old town, we managed to bag a double room here during an Accor privee sale at around 44 euros a night which was a bargain.

Staying in St Servan sounds interesting as does the Valmarin. We usually stay in the Intra Muros or along the nearby seafront. What are the evening eating options in the area?

We prefer the Hotel du Rance as it has a more relaxed feel but it is undergoing major renovation and may be re-opening as apartments and not a hotel which is a shame.

Yes, I noticed the scaffolding etc back in February. I never managed to stay there - it was always booked up, a consequence of it attracting just about the best internet reviews of any hotel, anywhere.

Is it the same owners reopening as tourist apartments, or did they get an offer they couldn't refuse?

Multitudinous! L'Atre still a reference, Le Globe Trotter, Le Bistrot de Solidor, La Cale comes and goes a bit .... Le Cozy Braise evenings only, L'Escale on the marina for simple great value lunch, Le Bulot, L'Olivetto and more.

~I had an e-mail from the lovely owners at the Hotel du Rance in deepest midwinter.... O.K. February....... informing me that the hotel was shut as it needed some work to bring it into line with the latest H & safety regs....

And they were taking the opportunity to revamp the building in to apartments...

~It was that rare example of a hotel which is everything a hotel should be IMHO- comfortable, clean, welcoming ...

St. Servan is a good alternative to St. Malo and has a good selection of shops and a market on Friday mornings, some interesting walks and geat views across to St. Malo.

We ate very well at the Bistro de Solidor, which has good value menus at lunchtime..... we had a great meal here in the evening too, but it is carte only, and quite a lot more money.

Market is Tuesday & Friday.

Yes le Bistrot de Solidor is pretty expensive evenings.

Forgot to mention, 10 mins walk the Saint Placide and Le Poncel, both excellent, need to book, not cheap, though Poncel lunch great value.

Staying in St Servan sounds interesting as does the Valmarin. We usually stay in the Intra Muros or along the nearby seafront. What are the evening eating options in the area?

When I started working for myself and was on a budget we often stayed at the Etap and found St Servan a charming alternative to St Malo. There are some lovely walks, I would agree with all Colin's comments about eateries, the shopping is excellent and the indoor market outstanding. Even if St M was not on the doorstep there would be enough reasons to make St Servan a holiday destination on its own terms.

How To Plan A Getaway Overseas Easily

Going for a walk into the excellent big realm of traveling for the very first time might feel a tad bit scary, but keeping the useful tips listed below in your mind, you can expect to soon discover youself to be traveling like those more knowledgeable travelers, who continue many trips, each and every year.

Before you travel, make a stop on your family doctor's office. Discuss what vaccinations you may need to get, and the other biological hazards appear in the spot toms shoes womens you are likely to visit. This gives you an effective general thought of what you should be cautious about, and allow you to avoid places where could get you into trouble.

If you are traveling overseas, also have local currency in a variety of denominations. It is much simpler to get scammed by way of a taxi driver or shopkeeper if the smallest bill inside your wallet represents a week's and even month's profit. Small change can occasionally be difficult to purple toms come by, so hang to your coins when investing in them.

Travel over a Boeing 767 for your personal flight. They already have less middle seats as their rows are positioned in a two-three-two arrangement instead of the traditional three-three rows. Their total amount of seats range from 180 to 250 dependant upon toms shoes womens who you fly with, and they also normally operate for too long domestic flights. By booking using a Boeing 767, you are more likely to get the type of seat you want.

In just about every place you visit, get a simple outfit in the local garb. This can help you merge so that you can be safer and also have a more authentic experience. It will likewise offer you a truly intriguing and useful souvenir from the places you may have visited. Each time you wear your brand new garments whenever you go back home, you will get memories and stories to share with you.

Keeping organized through the hectic schedule that one could often experience, right prior to being going to travel, ensures that you simply do keep in mind any key item that you would like to take with you. As things get chaotic before you leave, you need to remain level-headed.purple toms

We are staying at the “Quic en Groigne” seemed good from Tripadvisor reviews anybody on here stayed there?

Edited by neilcvx

You can look forward to the Quic en Groin, Neil.  My partner and I fondly remember our night there a couple of years ago.  Small, family run, very fine shower and an indulgent breakfast buffet in a conservatory. It is well placed for a stroll to Plage de Bons Secours.  I was glad of a space in their garage, conscious of having a conspicuously full car at the end of two weeks camping, but book this in advance, limited spaces.

Hope you have as good a time as we did.

Nb As this is almost my first post here, let me say hello to all.  A few holidays such as this are my experience of BF, two years ago being the most recent.  For us, there is no better way to start out on holiday than boarding Bretagne.

• Like 1

Thanks for that and welcome , we’ve booked a car space as well, it’s not until the middle of September after a couple of weeks camping in St Emillion so we’re looking forward to a couple of days exploring around StMalo and it seemed a great location with the car safely locked up and yes after plenty BF trips our first time on Bretagne .