sailor_boy37

Hythe Ferry

370 posts in this topic

I wonder if this is where the new Ali Cat could end up going - she is still just sat round Cowes

2 hours ago, Millsy said:

Yes they have set up a new entity Blue Funnel Ferries to separate the businesses out. At least they know the area and the market and with their other operations there must be savings through economies of scale. But I personally would never buy a pier....

As far as I'm aware, they're buying the ferry and the pier, but sooner down the line, the pier will pass into a newly formed charitable trust that is working hard behind the scenes. 

1 hour ago, The Ferry Man said:

I wonder if this is where the new Ali Cat could end up going - she is still just sat round Cowes

Possibly - they also bought a new boat last month, identical to "Ullin of Staffa" which I thought at the time would be perfect for Hythe.

http://www.staffatours.com/gallery/our-boats/

That does look more suitable then the Ali Cat - very similar to the Hotspur

Speaking of which, where does the Hotspur IV fit into this I wonder?

29 minutes ago, The Ferry Man said:

Hotspur 4 is beyond economic repair. Blue Funnel wouldn't touch it and actualy I'm not sure it was sold as part of the deal.

11 hours ago, The Ferry Man said:

Sadly the Hotspur IV is no longer owned by Hythe Ferry ... was sold to a private investor to convert to a house boat a while back. 

Looking at the pictures on the Hythe Ferry website, Jenny Ann will be covering the service from Tuesday (02/05). Seems an odd choice, but clearly the only vessel Blue Funnel had available at short notice.

- http://hytheferry.co.uk/ -

11 minutes ago, isleofwightiow said:

Looking at the pictures on the Hythe Ferry website, Jenny Ann will be covering the service from Tuesday (02/05). Seems an odd choice, but clearly the only vessel Blue Funnel had available at short notice.

- http://hytheferry.co.uk/ -

I think they are hoping to have the permanent reserve ferry fairly soon, thought to be the Ullin of Staffa Tours. Perhaps Great Expectations passenger certificate expires and so it has to be lifted out the water now.

I thought Jenny Ann had been sold years ago?

39 minutes ago, Mark Eason said:

I thought Jenny Ann had been sold years ago?

So did I?

Saw the Jenny Ann couple of days back. Someone can probably tell if its the same vessel (I was not familiar with her before)

DSC_3198.JPG

DSC_3275.JPG

2 hours ago, The Ferry Man said:

Looks like the old Wild Rose of Hurst Castle that was for sale at the end of last year. Could also be the old Puffin Belle from Puffin Cruises, who also had an identical boat for sale at the end of last year.

Think they're also hoping for the new "Ali Cat" to do some cover work as well, dependent on her MCA certifications coming up!

The JENNY ANN (1981)  ran in the Isles of Scilly as the FALDORE II, then from Lymington as the PUFFIN BELLE.  She is now back with her original owners as the JENNY ANN.

Great Ex is being renamed "Hythe Scene" and due to additional work needed during her refit there will be a delay in her resuming the service.

Hythe Scene will be on the run tomorrow (Friday) I believe.