X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Price hikes, UK to Spain

Last year, the adult fare to Santander from Portsmouth in late July was 90; the return to Plymouth in early August was 60 (all passengers travelling with bicycles).

I've just looked up prices for the same trip this year: 155 per person each way! For the return trip, that's well over twice the price.

4-berth cabins are still 125, same as last year.

Why the huge increase?

Re: Price hikes, UK to Spain

It is very difficult to compare prices year on year. The pricing system fluctuates from day to day, depending on demand and sales. If you have a search of this site you will find numerous posts and threads that discuss the various price differentials.

Comment

BF have moved to the airline model of pricing using demand yield management.... fares vary and booking early has worked well for some...

Further, BF have a huge debt pile that they are trying to pay down, which is not helped by the fact that both fuel oil prices (in $) are up...........
      and the to euro rate has fallen by at least 10% in the past year. (Most BF customers are of course from Britain and pay in worthless quantative -eased pound notes!!!)

The BF service to Spain is very popular this year with many peak sailings already sold out.....

You might get a small discount by booking through (for example) the AA

Comment

Originally posted by Skipcool3 View Post
        BF have moved to the airline model of pricing using demand yield management.... fares vary and booking early has worked well for some...

Further, BF have a huge debt pile that they are trying to pay down, which is not helped by the fact that both fuel oil prices (in $) are up...........
        and the to euro rate has fallen by at least 10% in the past year. (Most BF customers are of course from Britain and pay in worthless quantative -eased pound notes!!!)

The BF service to Spain is very popular this year with many peak sailings already sold out.....
        So, I'd be advised to book sooner rather than later, if I don't want to see the price increase further?

It may be worth using joining the BF travel club, an extra 200 up-front, but if it takes 300 off the cost that would be worth it.

I even found that many people seem to publish their club codes for others to use (as their 'guests'), something that I'd expect the company not to be happy about at all.

Comment

- Some of the travel club numbers don't discount the fares for guests, they just provide a kick-back to the holder of the code, which I think is 10.00 (but I may be wrong), (we stayed in a house in Brittany last year and if you used the holders name as a passenger then the fare was discounted, but not if they were not.)

I can't comment on when is best to book..... you may book now and BF have a special offer the next day... GRRRRrr.....

Have you looked at booking a trip which includes a single night in a hotel... this can sometimes be cheaper than just booking the crossings....

Comment

friends of mine both got 53 pounds reduction off there booking last week.using my travel club membership

Comment

Working...
            X