Sign in to follow this  
bowlerreg

New ships or replacement services on the Western Channel post 2015?

I was wondering where the Transmanche sisters fit into the equation re the new fuel regulations as nothing seems to have been mentioned re these two vessels. Could BF make use of these when they become available if the Newhaven service closes or are there other newer ships that could be transferred into BF service. I have never heard mention of any other types of the ships around these shores and the possibility of them being converted, these regulations must apply to them all.

The MARPOL regs only apply to the English Channel and North Sea. The majority of the Stena Fleet plying its trade in UK waters wont be effected, neither will IF's core services across the Irish sea... P&O have been very quiet in regards to their plans for the four ships serving Hull or their Dover Calais services. DFDS are the same...

It's a very fickle industry. Just four years ago Barfleur was up for sale or bareboat charter, laid up in Caen. Now she's being fitted with scrubbers and being utilised on other routes. I believe both Transmanche vessels are day configured, I don't really see how they would fit in the fleet.

A couple of good maps showing which areas are going to be covered by ECAs, dark blue indicating the zones.

The Irish Sea escapes... to which the Irish operators must be breathing a huge sigh of relief, however it demonstrates the farcical nature of the implementation of these rules. I'm all for protecting the environment and cleaner emissions from ships, but with the UK primarily being subject to westerly winds emissions from the Irish Sea are blowing straight over us... where is the logic in that?!

http://www.zerovisiontool.com/sites/www.zerovisiontool.com/files/zvt-emission-map-web.png

http://www.marineinsight.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/ECA_EU_NA_2.png

• Like 1

Interesting maps, Andy. I've argued elsewhere for the services to Spain to be moved from Portsmouth to Plymouth. Your maps make it plain that Falmouth might be a better answer to escape the new regulations - back to the times when the Falmouth packets carried the mail to the British Empire

Like Colin said, Plymouth is "bad enough" for some people so a route from Falmouth would last about a week!!!

Edited by sness
detail

Falmouth to London wasn't too far in 1805. When HMS Pickle arrived at Falmouth with news of victory in the battle of Trafalgar, her young captain set off in a post chaise carriage for London, changing horses 21 times on the way to take his message to the Admiralty. Yet now some people with modern cars say it's far too far for them !

A couple of good maps showing which areas are going to be covered by ECAs, dark blue indicating the zones.

The Irish Sea escapes... to which the Irish operators must be breathing a huge sigh of relief, however it demonstrates the farcical nature of the implementation of these rules. I'm all for protecting the environment and cleaner emissions from ships, but with the UK primarily being subject to westerly winds emissions from the Irish Sea are blowing straight over us... where is the logic in that?!

http://www.zerovisiontool.com/sites/www.zerovisiontool.com/files/zvt-emission-map-web.png

Don't forget the two refineries over in this neck of the woods pumping god knows what into the atmosphere. The flame stacks are always pointing east...

Interesting topic on Radio 4, discussing the interest rate and how the cheaper cost of fuel and travel have helped drop it to it's lowest rate since 2009... Ferry travel was mentioned more than once.

Interesting map! I'm noticing, though, how evidently absent the Mediterranean is. Being a rather major part of the European coastline, I am surprised this has not been included. I guess someone important owns a shipping company there (not that I'm being cynical at all).

Do you know which programme that would have been on R4?

Interesting map! I'm noticing, though, how evidently absent the Mediterranean is. Being a rather major part of the European coastline, I am surprised this has not been included. I guess someone important owns a shipping company there (not that I'm being cynical at all).

Do you know which programme that would have been on R4?

Don't know LD, I had it on in the car travelling to work...

Interesting maps. Agree that Falmouth is a non-starter, but being a Bristolian I am bound to suggest a service from Bristol (or Cardiff) to Spain.Good motorway links and outside the emissions zone!

Interesting maps. Agree that Falmouth is a non-starter, but being a Bristolian I am bound to suggest a service from Bristol (or Cardiff) to Spain.Good motorway links and outside the emissions zone!

New opportunities for Swansea?

New opportunities for Swansea?

The crossing time Swansea - Spain would be more or less similar to Portsmouth so it could work, although the people who think that Plymouth is too out of the way would probably say the same of Swansea.

Lets all lobby for Bristol excellent motorway links albeit a bit congested in the Summer. The tidal conditions might be a problem as a local I know a little about tides but would be interested in expert opinion as to whether the Bristol Channel would be a possibility for these types of services.

The problem with Avonmouth is can ships get in and out at all states of the tide? Cruise ships and car transporters can choose their times, ferries have a timetable to keep to.

Spanish operator Baleria has announced it is to install an LNG engine on the mv Abel Matutes in 2015, in partnership with Gas Natural Fenosa. The ship operates between Barcelona and Palma de Mallorca.

It's a little off topic from the title of this thread, but it's an interesting move, as the Mediterranean is not imminently subject to the ECA regulations. Baleria's investment in future technology could be viewed as 'future proofing' for further emission regulations, or a move to make the ship very attractive on Northern European charter market!

Source: Shippax.

SNCM continue to be in serious trouble, with the future of the company not looking good. Although I hope they survive, I wonder if BF would be interested in any of their fleet?

SNCM continue to be in serious trouble, with the future of the company not looking good. Although I hope they survive, I wonder if BF would be interested in any of their fleet?

Graeme, their Pascal Paoli vessel does look very similar to BF's PEGASIS.

Regular cruise ships (Discovery recently) from Avonmouth so why not?

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Articles/2015/01/23/51933/cruise+.html

Because according to this article:

1) Avonmouth is 121 nautical miles further to go = more time on board, less ship utilisation and more fuel consumed negating any savings in fuel sulphur content

2) Avonmouth is tidal, Plymouth is not