Sign in to follow this  
TransmancheKing

DFDS to continue Newhaven-Dieppe Service for another Year

confirmed that the route will continue now back with 2 ships Seven Sisters and Cote D'albatre and an experimental 3rd rotation in peak periods. My understanding is that the vessels may not be painted in DFDS livery and will continue in yellow under the Transmanche Ferries logo

Newhaven -Dieppe is often full. The issue is capacity, and the ships are too small. The article also says that the ships will run on clean fuel. Can't see it surviving past next year on that basis.

Latest News

FERRY SERVICE TO RETURN TO TWO BOATS.

October 30 2014.

SMPAT and DFDS Seaways release:

The SMPAT and DFDS Seaways announced today reaching heads of agreement concerning the one-year extension of the operation and marketing of the Newhaven-Dieppe ferry service.

The heads of agreement stipulates that the Seven Sisters and the Cote d'Albâtre, ships owned by the SMPAT, will be operated by DFDS Seaways France on the Dieppe to Newhaven line in 2015. New rotations will also be tried in high season, in response to growing tourism and economic demands, recorded in recent years.

In addition to maintaining activity and jobs that are related, sedentary and crews especially, it is planned to adapt ships to meet the requirements of MARPOL VI directive, using cleaner fuels.

Nicolas Rouly, chairman of SMPAT and the Seine-Maritime Department said: "2014 was a challenging year for all actors of the Channel, but it ends on a promising agreement, the first step in building a new future. Our partners, public and private, have understood the high stakes that represents the Dieppe-Newhaven line. 2015 will confirm the usefulness of the Channel on the tourist plan especially with the coming of the tour de France in Normandy and the ownership of “The Avenue Verte” by increasingly tour operators. But also on the economically plan with all the work lead by actors of logistics chains, automotive, wind energy, food, ..."

Peder Gellert Pedersen, chairman DFDS Seaways France: "I am delighted with the positive outcome of the negotiations we serenely conducted with the SMPAT and its President Nicolas Rouly. Since 2007, the SMPAT is an important partner of DFDS Seaways and we are delighted to continue this relationship. It is also good news for our employees and partners who have at heart to see the operation of the Dieppe line to Newhaven continue. "

Jean-Claude Charlo, managing director of DFDS Seaways France added: "The heads for a one-year extension of our agreements with the SMPAT is great news for DFDS Seaways France, its employees, customers and all our partners. Our technical leadership and our recognized know-how in Europe and France enabled the SMPAT to make the best decision for the line and I want to thank all the DFDS Seaways France teams who worked very hard in that direction. "

Latest News

FERRY SERVICE TO RETURN TO TWO BOATS.

October 30 2014.

SMPAT and DFDS Seaways release:

The SMPAT and DFDS Seaways announced today reaching heads of agreement concerning the one-year extension of the operation and marketing of the Newhaven-Dieppe ferry service.

The heads of agreement stipulates that the Seven Sisters and the Cote d'Albâtre, ships owned by the SMPAT, will be operated by DFDS Seaways France on the Dieppe to Newhaven line in 2015. New rotations will also be tried in high season, in response to growing tourism and economic demands, recorded in recent years.

In addition to maintaining activity and jobs that are related, sedentary and crews especially, it is planned to adapt ships to meet the requirements of MARPOL VI directive, using cleaner fuels.

Nicolas Rouly, chairman of SMPAT and the Seine-Maritime Department said: "2014 was a challenging year for all actors of the Channel, but it ends on a promising agreement, the first step in building a new future. Our partners, public and private, have understood the high stakes that represents the Dieppe-Newhaven line. 2015 will confirm the usefulness of the Channel on the tourist plan especially with the coming of the tour de France in Normandy and the ownership of The Avenue Verte by increasingly tour operators. But also on the economically plan with all the work lead by actors of logistics chains, automotive, wind energy, food, ..."

Peder Gellert Pedersen, chairman DFDS Seaways France: "I am delighted with the positive outcome of the negotiations we serenely conducted with the SMPAT and its President Nicolas Rouly. Since 2007, the SMPAT is an important partner of DFDS Seaways and we are delighted to continue this relationship. It is also good news for our employees and partners who have at heart to see the operation of the Dieppe line to Newhaven continue. "

Jean-Claude Charlo, managing director of DFDS Seaways France added: "The heads for a one-year extension of our agreements with the SMPAT is great news for DFDS Seaways France, its employees, customers and all our partners. Our technical leadership and our recognized know-how in Europe and France enabled the SMPAT to make the best decision for the line and I want to thank all the DFDS Seaways France teams who worked very hard in that direction. "

Will they need to fit scrubbers?

Does this mean that, outside the peak season, two ships are being used to provide two sailings per day in each direction? This sounds a bit strange to me....unless, that is, the opportunity is being taken to introduce an overnight sailing concept to the route? If......if.......the operation of two ships on the route means that there is going to be a proper overnight service in each direction, and then one (two in peak season) daytime sailings in each direction at sensible times then.....just possibly.....this route might suddenly start to become quite attractive? If, on the other hand, the idea is to basically use one ship on something like the current schedules, with the second one wheeled out in peak season to add an extra daily round trip for a third of the year with the other two thirds being laid up in Dieppe then....yes, probably the final year of operation for the route. Will be interesting to see the schedules and to find out what the thinking is.

It is my understanding DFDS lease the vessels and don't actually own them hence the reason they are not in DFDS livery. If Myferrylink cease trading in 6months time. This route my actually have a chance but I don't believe myferrylink will disappear.

There's no timings yet. Interestingly when I opened the webpage, the tab had the LD Lines logo. Is this due to Transmanche' links to them?

DFDS have confirmed that the Seven Sisters will operate alongside the Cote d'Albatre between May 1st and September 30th 2015, providing 6 sailings on the route per day.

Good to see the ship being put to use, but it sill means she's laid up for seven months of the year (same as NEX).

Are they staying yellow?
With just a one year extension agreed (10 months remaining now already!) I can't see it happening!

I don't think they are allowed to in any case under the terms of the 'franchise'.

• Like 1

Looks like DFDS has missed a bit of a trick with the schedules for the two-ship service. Timetables are now available on the website, and there are "night time" departures in both directions, leaving Newhaven at 2300 and Dieppe at 2359. However, despite the next departures not being until 0900 (from Newhaven) and 1230 (from Dieppe), both night time sailings are only scheduled to last 5 hours. Arrivals in Newhaven and Dieppe at 0400 and 0500 respectively will make them really appealing.....!

No doubt there will be a reason for these timings determined by freight interests, but it would be nice to see them offer passengers a similar facility to that offered by Stena at Harwich - stay in bed and no need to disembark until 0700. However, I suspect the design of the ships would probably make selective disembarkation of freight in this way problematic.

Looks like DFDS has missed a bit of a trick with the schedules for the two-ship service. Timetables are now available on the website, and there are "night time" departures in both directions, leaving Newhaven at 2300 and Dieppe at 2359. However, despite the next departures not being until 0900 (from Newhaven) and 1230 (from Dieppe), both night time sailings are only scheduled to last 5 hours. Arrivals in Newhaven and Dieppe at 0400 and 0500 respectively will make them really appealing.....!

No doubt there will be a reason for these timings determined by freight interests, but it would be nice to see them offer passengers a similar facility to that offered by Stena at Harwich - stay in bed and no need to disembark until 0700. However, I suspect the design of the ships would probably make selective disembarkation of freight in this way problematic.

Freight often wants to be at destinations by 8 or 9am, but then again I guess driver hours may become an issue here? Also from these times the UK - France takes an hour longer, even allowing for the time difference? Leaves an hour earlier, arrives an hour later, minus 1 hour for time difference.

It was hard work getting off at 4am (3am UK time) after being woken up half an hour before, but at the time I lived 45 mins from Newhaven - got in from work, had dinner, left home in the evening - and was going to the Vendee - got there in time for a late breakfast; can see how freight wanting to set off in the evening from the Midlands and deliver to say anywhere around the peripherique de Paris would find this attractive. Once was enough for me though, am not a morning person and driving through Rouen at 4.30am is not for me.

Well, whatever we may all (correctly) think about DFDS, it will be nice to see these two ships operating together once again on the route for which they were built.

It was hard work getting off at 4am (3am UK time) after being woken up half an hour before, but at the time I lived 45 mins from Newhaven - got in from work, had dinner, left home in the evening - and was going to the Vendee - got there in time for a late breakfast; can see how freight wanting to set off in the evening from the Midlands and deliver to say anywhere around the peripherique de Paris would find this attractive. Once was enough for me though, am not a morning person and driving through Rouen at 4.30am is not for me.

Having missed the afternoon ferry from dieppe because of the traffic in rouen I couldn't think of a better time to drive through Rouen than 4:30am!