The Ferry Man

CONDOR FERRIES: Condor Liberation

She is very impressive and at long last has a home and a job!! Although the situation regarding Weymouth is probably a bit awkward for Weymouth BFErs, hope we can discuss the ship as a Dorset boat rather than Weymouth V Poole. And not forget the hard work that went into acquiring her, I try and think of stuff like that. Saw the news of the name on the BBC red button news, think it is pretty good. After alll numbers have featured before. Let's hope she does well.

Anybody know when Express is being withdrawn and her last sailing is? Vitesse doesn't appear in the timetable after 27/03/15? Was hoping to go on one or both for the last time.

Think one is staying on at Weymouth for a short while, remember something about it. One is being withdrawn in March, and the other a bit later. Maybe I'm wrong. Makes sense to keep one in service in the event of teething problems, which there re bound to be one or two, new boat got to settle in.

Edited by Khaines

Agreed in a way, about the radio station. I was thinking along the lines of they did the 10 and thought it ok, but on the other hand I wonder if that will be her permanant name, or whether it is interim. What do we call her as a ship, she isn't a cat and the word trimaran can't really be shortened like catamaran. Supppse she will get called a cat though!!!

Personally... I liked that as a name, a spring back to Condor 10, which was at the time revolutionary, to this new revolutionary craft, like calling it the Condor 10 Mark 2

but...

"

What will the new ship be called?

The name is TBC but well have exciting news on this soon.

"

http://102.condorferries.co.uk/102-info

Its not its final name.

Edited by The Ferry Man

Well if we go down the names the Apprentices always come up with then Condor Eclipse, Condor Diversity, Condor Endeavour.......actually Eclipse not bad as it Eclipses the time the older ones took.

I just looked through the new sailing schedule and it seems that by having just one boat instead of two, the opportunities for travel between Britain and France have been greatly reduced. During the past summer seasons, there have often been two or three connections per day between Poole/Weymouth and St Malo, in the high season, but for 2015 it is a maximum of one. And some of those connections don't look too atttractive, eg leaving Poole at 0230 and changing boats in the middle of the night. It's a bit of a shame, because this did offer an alternative to Brittany Ferries, But I will be look forward to the new boat.

Well, this boat IS a lot younger than the present ones, and she hasn't got that much mileage on her - think she has been out and about a few times, but probably only a few times so she still 'new', so she shouldn't have reliability problems. Think this is what they mean. As said before, I expect she will have her 'moments' in the early days but al in all being a new vessel she should be much better han the ageing cats reliability wise.

And some of those connections don't look too atttractive, eg leaving Poole at 0230 and changing boats in the middle of the night.

0230 and 0300 isn't too attractive for pax to the Channel Islands but I suppose it does give the Islanders a morning sailing to the UK which has been a request for quite some time.

Shall wait and see how this trimaran turns out, wonder why only Euroferries had previously been the only other company interested in her?? Hope she doesn't become an expensive mistake for Condor!

Boats being laid up for ages while or just after being built - Norman Leader, how long was she waiting around. Just found these interesting pics, according to the photographer she had broken her moorings. Picture gives an indication of size I think. Pictures are 2010 ones.

http://www.truenorthmark.com/blog/wp...on-rocks-2.jpg

Edited by Khaines

Boats being laid up for ages while or just after being built - Norman Leader, how long was she waiting around.

Norman Leader had her problems some of which are in the public domain. Says a lot that established firms looking for new tonnage at the time or charter opportunities didn't take her on.

As for the Condor 102 - hope she handles the weather better than her Fred Olsen cousin

Norman Leader had her problems some of which are in the public domain. Says a lot that established firms looking for new tonnage at the time or charter opportunities didn't take her on.

As for the Condor 102 - hope she handles the weather better than her Fred Olsen cousin

Haha, brilliant!

I'm sure they took a lovely test drive on a day with clear blue skies and light airs.

It is great video - one thing though - the weather in that vid looked pretty awful and in our parts of the world they get cancelled in such conditions. I am sure 'ours' would behave similarly in extremely bad weather if she was sent out in it, while this one got sent on her way.

Out of imterest will she undergo berthing trials in Poole? Excuse ignorance but are berthing trials essential when a new ship uses a berth. NEX came over didn't she, ahead of the service next year, but this boat is the other side of the world, so she hasn't had the chance to try out her new berth in Poole, or the CIs. Just curious - assume all will go ok!!

Out of imterest will she undergo berthing trials in Poole? Excuse ignorance but are berthing trials essential when a new ship uses a berth. NEX came over didn't she, ahead of the service next year, but this boat is the other side of the world, so she hasn't had the chance to try out her new berth in Poole, or the CIs. Just curious - assume all will go ok!!

I imagine Condor were keenly interested in NEX's Poole trials last month as both vessels are similar size and loading arrangements. The 102 is coming up to Southampton for fitting out by Trimline so I imagine this would be a good opportunity to visit St Helier, St Peter Port and Poole to give the ports enough time to carry out any berth modifications.

Be good for a photo opportunity if she comes into Southampton, but if she visits Poole, me being lazy.....😊. I thought she was bigger than NEX. (Dimensions not to hand)