The Ferry Man

CONDOR FERRIES: Condor Liberation

Perhaps you should look at setting up a hotel business in the future, Nick!! If they do dispose of the Clipper and only use one boat, that could be really precarious. Lots seem to be worried about the Liberation breaking down - I have no doubts she will have her moments, seems to have had one yesterday, and in my opinion there will be those using every techy for celebration due to the fact they just don't like this craft. The cats had more problems than one could shake a stick at, so really it is just down to people being petty as far as I'm concerned. But if they get rid of the Clipper then could leave themselves open to a lot of difficulties if she has an off day.

I'm all for letting her settle in, I left it a few weeks for that reason, let any teething problems get over and done with and let those on the first sailings cop any difficulties!! Selfish I know, but always guessed she might get the odd problem on her first few weeks as all get used to one another, if it continues for long term then I"ll evaluate my opinion of her, not just sticking up for her and Condor for the sake of it, but need to evaluate over the course of time!!

Surely the big point here is that this craft was continualy sold by Condor as being able to operate in higher wave heights than the cat. I live in Guernsey and have followed the launch of this new craft it very closely. Now we find out there the MSC have not yet given permission for higher wave height operation and may or may not increase this. Even if they do increase the limit from 3.5 metres - how much more will it be to? The HSS only managed 4 metres. They are proposing to operate this craft on a near daily basis in the winter and when the Commodore Clipper is eventually replaced I'm pretty sure they are hoping it will be by a pure ro-ro and all pax will go on this craft.

Who are the MSC ?

See they are making a meal of the weather cancellation - funny that, because the cats would have been probably cancelled too, can't help the weather!!!

To press the point again....they're (the Press) making a meal of it because on all pre-promotional material it said cancellations would be reduced by 90%, compared to other fast ferries. Now it seems this the MCA have not yet given them permission to operate in higher wave heights. I thought they would have done this before delivery.

Not a good start at all. Following the 2.5hr delay yesterday, the remaining sailings today have been cancelled as a result of Condor Liberation making contact with No 1 berth in St. Peter Port on arrival from Poole.

Down at Guernseyharbour and Liberation is stranded here. All sailings cancelled. Very long queue of people at Condor ticket office. Looks like good old Clipper coming to the rescue. Special Clipper sailings for tomorrow.

. Sorry to hear that, she is certainly having her teething issues!!!! What happens by the way if sailings are cancelled while you are over there, they seem to have got Poole right.

One thing I appreciate about discussing this ship here is that we are discussing things, no trolling like on Facebook ( had plenty of that recently and no doubt they will bevvery active later!!!). You don't get that here, appreciated. She is having her initial problems like any other ship, not good for those on board at the moment. Should she have done more berthing trials there?

By all accounts the issues yesterday appear to have been teething problems as a result of the crew being unfamiliar with the lay out of the car deck. Understand that at least one vehicle was short shipped in Guernsey and unable to be loaded. Today's incident will no doubt be human factors, however, the conditions are pretty challenging - particularly when coupled with the fact the manoeuvring characteristics are different to the 86m.

With the benefit of hindsight, putting the Liberation into service at a peak travel period does not appear to have been the most prudent decision.

To press the point again....they're (the Press) making a meal of it because on all pre-promotional material it said cancellations would be reduced by 90%, compared to other fast ferries. Now it seems this the MCA have not yet given them permission to operate in higher wave heights. I thought they would have done this before delivery.
I meant that the people who that I think will make a meal out of it will be those who have been giving a lot of hassle about this boat, she has problems basically as soon as she has started, so certain people are going to be gloating about it in my opinion. Sorry, didn't make myself clear, been getting hassled recently elsewhere by a certain group of people!! I feel sorry for Fran Collins and all the Condor crew whose weekend has not gone brilliantly, and there have been these problems, and also those who were on the sailings, probably not exactly much fun. I met Fran and she is a very pleasant woman. Not exactly her weekend.

Well she is returning to Poole obviously empty !

Rather sad for the first day in operation. But accidents happen ! Competition for the words on the bridge as the ship docked. !!!!

Edited by spll

She has had her first prang in her first couple of days. I was thinking myself wouldn't want to be in the shoes of those on the bridge but accidents do indeed happen and this was caused by wind, so wouldn't blame anyone up there really. She seems to be having a baptism of fire!!

Sailings for tomorrow and Tuesday have now been cancelled due to 'weather'. Appears that the Clipper will be operating from the CI to Poole tomorrow evening before departing Poole on Tuesday morning, before returning from the CI to Portsmouth on Tuesday evening. Arrow has been brought in to cover the Clipper's freight capacity into Portsmouth - she is currently anchored in the St. Helens Road Anchorage.

So the contingency plan appears to involve using Clipper as pax ops only to Poole, whilst bringing in another freighter. One wonders what will happen when the Arrow is otherwise engaged!

Arrow never seems to be engaged, how do her owners use her apart from covering Condor. Maybe Condor will go the way of Wightlink if the Aussie Bank continue to be the owners. Get rid of Clipper and replace with freight only would be a sign of this.

The Clipper's short to medium future is assuted as her and Goodwill are both getting scrubbers in the Autumn.However, in the long term Clipper's replacement maybe just a pure ro ro. I hope not though, as the Clipper is by far themost relaxed way to get to the islands. And for her stand in on the Poole route she now temporarily represents the mainline ferry connectipn- if only this was permanent with 2 ro paxes with even greater pax acconmodation.

I can't see condor selling the Clipper as it was one the main agreement between condor ferries and states of jersey and Guernsey back in 1998/1999 was to have a all weather Ro/pax ship so that people in the Channel Islands were not cut off Any way we we'll see want condor 's long plans are and see how well There summer 2015 season goes

Just really wish them well really, yes, the Liberation has not got off to the finest start, and her problems have given some people in some areas something to crow about, but really hope these are short term teething problems and things settle down. I am sure they will, despite reservations from some quarters.

Very sad after the effort everybody put in that it has gone so wrong. It is a beautiful ship but it must be very worrying for them that it failed to dock, especially as Rapide and Clipper had no problem straight afterwards. The cats always seemed so responsive and controllable. I can't help thinking that with it's three closely spaced jets and weedy bow thrusters Liberation is never going to cope with the islands harbours in it presents form. It looks very underpowered and unresponsive when docking at the moment.

I think it is a case of crew and ship getting used to one another - maybe they should have spent the time since she arrived doing berthing trials, she didn't do the CIs until only recently, she is OK in Poole now, hasn't had a prang here.

In light of recent events probably they would have been wise to have spent the time after her arrival getting ship and crew used to each other. I think this is probably what is being thought about in hindsight now at HQ. She is a very highly advanced piece of kit, in my opinion she is highly manoevreable, but think possibly more training on her was needed, I don't know. Suppose I am trying to compare it people buying one of those supercars and are so used to handling something a lot easier and different. How many McClaren F1s ended up in hedges or trashed? Would these bridge wings have added extra weight, they've added a ramp too, would extra weight like this affect manoevrability? Not sure, pure guessing!!

And I"ll repeat here, the situation isn't helped by all the bullying coming from certain quarters on Facebook, it is disgusting the way some people are behaving about it all!! Vicious little men with nothing better to do than spout bile at anyone who disagrees with them, and it is always the same names. Nice to have a proper discussion here wirhout the 'Weymouth situation' being trolled at everyone who just wants to discuss the new ship and just wants things to settle down!! I'll start blocking on Facebook soon - the trolling is getting so vicious.

Edited by Khaines