The Ferry Man

CONDOR FERRIES: Condor Liberation

Condor Liberation will be replaced by the Condor Express on Friday, who seen that coming!?
They did say she would be on standby in case of difficulties, so good to see she is providing assistance. Probably didn't think she would have to be used!!

Poole harbour looks choppy in the picture above....... Thanks for posting Dan.....

Time will tell if it was just lack of experience berthing in high winds or if Liberation really does struggle..... In other news I understand that the ramp that Condor use was badly damaged by the weather in St. Malo...?

Interesting vid - wonder what the language was like up in the bridge - and a lot of other places!!

Notice in some parts of the web James Fulford is being referred to as Zippy (childrens TV character). Denigrated into personal attacks on someone's looks now - I hope they NEVER go back to Weymouth if all goes belly up with the Liberation with all the vile comments. We were well miffed in Poole at Brittany Ferries over Barfleur, but cannot remember anyone EVER making personal attacks on the appearance of the top brass or any staff. Criticism. yes, but not remarks at the expense of anyones physical appearance, disgusting.

I do hope it is ok to let off steam on bfe about this, I know I have made some pretty ranting posts on all of this, please excuse me, but I am just so disgusted at the hatred, bile and anger directed at people, especially on the Echo and Facebook. If, say, the Liberation was in Weymouth and this prang happened, the comments would be totally different, it would be 'just one of those things' but because it is Poole..... Crikey. Most ferry enthusiasts though seem to be taking a sensible attitude!!!

Edited by Khaines

Interesting vid - wonder what the language was like up in the bridge - and a lot of other places!!

Notice in some parts of the web James Fulford is being referred to as Zippy (childrens TV character). Denigrated into personal attacks on someone's now - I hope they NEVER go back to Weymouth if all goes belly up with the Liberation with all the vile comments. We were well miffed in Poole at Brittany Ferries over Barfleur, but cannot remember anyone EVER making personal attacks on the appearance of the top brass or any staff. Criticism. yes, but not remarks at the expense of anyones physical appearance, disgusting.

I do hope it is ok to let off steam on bfe about this, I know I have made some pretty ranting posts on all of this, please excuse me, but I am just so disgusted at the hatred, bile and anger directed at people, especially on the Echo and Facebook. If, say, the Liberation was in Weymouth and this prang happened, the comments would be totally different, it would be 'just one of those things' but because it is Poole..... Crikey. Most ferry enthusiasts though seem to be taking a sensible attitude!!!

I don't think is just as its Poole But would say that Poole is a lot better and practical then Weymouth .

Any way it's still not all good news for condor now as condor agrees harbour wind speed limit as investigation into Liberation crash continues

http://guernseypress.com/news/2015/04/01/condor-given-harbour-wind-speed-limit-as-investigation-into-liberation-crash-continues/

And talking to a friend of mind who is a condor Captain and he's side to me this morning that condor ferries have Rush It all for easter holidays And condor should of had 1 or 2 weeks Sea trials to help get use to the ship going in to both Channel Islands ports and also give more time for the crew to get used to layout of the ship Properly

I agree about the 1-2 weeks, hopefully the next few weeks before I go on her will be problem free, and plenty of practice at berthing. Suppose I was on one this morning, Does there need to be extra protection on the fenders to prevent another incident like recent one? Condor, and a lot of people have said it iwas weather related, and we can't predict the weather so if that is the case then would this be a wise idea - and of course whose responsibility is it to pay forvany extra padding!! I don't think human error was at all to blame, think they were caught out, end of. I was just hopping mad this morning as I felt that the insults directed at James were out of order, people can disagree with him or what they they think he is responsible for, but I felt barbed remarks about his facial appearance were quite personal and a step to far, was letting off steam!! Oh well, it will die down soon, so looking forward to my crossing!!

I don't know it it is still there but the MAIB report posted on their website into NORMAN ARROW clouting the dockside at both Portsmouth and Le Havre on separate occasions gives an insight into the complexities of "conning" these type of craft. MAIB is, of course, the Marine Accident Investigation Branch.

I agree about the 1-2 weeks, hopefully the next few weeks before I go on her will be problem free, and plenty of practice at berthing. Suppose I was on one this morning, Does there need to be extra protection on the fenders to prevent another incident like recent one? Condor, and a lot of people have said it iwas weather related, and we can't predict the weather so if that is the case then would this be a wise idea - and of course whose responsibility is it to pay forvany extra padding!! I don't think human error was at all to blame, think they were caught out, end of. I was just hopping mad this morning as I felt that the insults directed at James were out of order, people can disagree with him or what they they think he is responsible for, but I felt barbed remarks about his facial appearance were quite personal and a step to far, was letting off steam!! Oh well, it will die down soon, so looking forward to my crossing!!

I see from James Fulford's Linked In page he is starting up a high speed ferry from Barcelona to Sitges. Company is called Blue Mar Ferri Rapid. Good to see him back in the saddle as it were.

Just thought I would add a little technical info here: A trim tab is like a flap and on Incat craft spans each transom and adds a little waterline length. It is hydraulically controlled by use of a ram. It is also integrated with the craft's ride control system and is used when the craft is accelerating to give dynamic lift. Recent Austal craft have preferred interceptors. An interceptor is similar in use but is basically a bar fitted to the transom and used in an vertical plain, again actuated by an hydraulically operated ram. It acts in and is used in a similar way to a trim tab. Many studies have been carried out as to the better of the two and I guess it depends on which of which side of the coin you prefer.

Liberation has three waterjets of the Wartsila type fitted to the main mono hull. Between one water jet and centre jet is a small rudder for directional stability at speed. Each out-rigger has a small aft tee foil protruding below the hull and an interceptor fitted to the out-rigger transom. There is a tee foil fitted forward and also two bow thrusters. Hope this helps.

I see from James Fulford's Linked In page he is starting up a high speed ferry from Barcelona to Sitges. Company is called Blue Mar Ferri Rapid. Good to see him back in the saddle as it were.

Good for him indeed, wish him well, he's had a rather hard time of it as late. Thanks to Speed for tech info as well. Edited by Khaines

In today's Guernsey Press there's an article on Liberation and her wave height operation limit. The Marine and Coastguard Agency want to keep it at 3.5 metres for now (same as the cats). May get increased later in the year when it can be tested in rough weather.

I wonder why they didn't test her out over the winter prior to her fitting out, to test her in bigger wave heights. They would surely have to take her out of service to do so now, during the winter she would not be carrying passengers. That is my only problem regarding the new ship, apart from not being too keen on those ribbons and wings. Not sure why they didn't take the opportunity of testing her out while during winter weather, she stayed moored in Poole. On two minds about whether or not berthing practice would have been useful, on one hand I reckon it would have been a good idea, but on the other hand they could berth her a thousand times without a problem, and one day weather conditions cause an unfortunate bump! Anyway, can't turn the clock back.

Edited by Khaines

I'm not sure no testing beforehand on wave height limit. I wonder how high it will get - 4 metres like the HSS? I remember Stena having high claims for the HSS saying it could operate in nearly all sea states. Condor said also in 1996 that their new CondorExpress ferry would operate in most weathers and then ditched the MV Havelet from regular service.

L

I wonder why they didn't test her out over the winter prior to her fitting out, to test her in bigger wave heights. They would surely have to take her out of service to do so now, during the winter she would not be carrying passengers. That is my only problem regarding the new ship, apart from not being too keen on those ribbons and wings. Not sure why they didn't take the opportunity of testing her out while during winter weather, she stayed moored in Poole. On two minds about whether or not berthing practice would have been useful, on one hand I reckon it would have been a good idea, but on the other hand they could berth her a thousand times without a problem, and one day weather conditions cause an unfortunate bump! Anyway, can't turn the clock back.

They wouldn't of been able to go out in rough weather or any weather come to that with all the contractors and the inside being the mess it was while the work was being done.

With reference to wave heights - it is significant wave height (SWH) which is referred to. This is quoted as the average crest-to-trough height of the highest one third of the zero-upcrossing waves in a specified period - see HSC Code 2000. This SWH forms part of the Permit to Operate which is issued by the Flag state or the Administration within which the craft operates. More often than not it is a collaboration of the two. Currently for UK operated larger craft irrespective of Flag state, MCA will give a SWH of 3.5m. This has been given to all larger fast craft in recent times. Stena with their HSS craft took issue with this and carried out testing as per or similar to Annex 9 in the HSC Code and were given 4.2m Significant, from memory. For Condor to gain an increased SWH limit they will have to carry out procedures as laid down by Annex 9 of the HSC Code 2000. MCA can of course overrule that Annex and make it more or less stringent. Interesting times!

L

They wouldn't of been able to go out in rough weather or any weather come to that with all the contractors and the inside being the mess it was while the work was being done.

Agreed about the contractors, suppose I am thinking about when she arrived in the UK before any work really started on her. They could have possibly done the trials then, started work on her a bit larer, seeing her into sevice in the late spring/early summer when there would be a better liklihood of good weather for her to start taking passengers.

The damage to Liberation from externally did not look much at all, but aluminium is unforgiving and the size of the shell plate insert grew exponentionally. Of course there was also damage to internal structure some of which has to be fabricated. This all means a longer repair time, couple this with getting a Class surveyor to attend over the Easter break the answer is plain. Luckily Express is still available before heading Greece.