The Ferry Man

CONDOR FERRIES: Condor Liberation

No idea, she is still at Poole. If I'd known would have popped along to Poole only just checked the AIS, took it for granted she's be in Southampton. Thought she'd be here two or three hours at the most. Maybe local bigwigs are having a look at her today, yesterday being Boxing Day.

I don't know if we're Anoraks Brigette but there must be lots of us in Falmouth, the lay by over looking the docks is always busy and any ships of interest gets hundreds out on to Pendennis point.

No idea, she is still at Poole. If I'd known would have popped along to Poole only just checked the AIS, took it for granted she's be in Southampton. Thought she'd be here two or three hours at the most. Maybe local bigwigs are having a look at her today, yesterday being Boxing Day.

Could be I suppose - nothing showing about her arrival on the Soton VTS Movements, but then not sure what name she would use, Austal Hull 270 Maybe like her AIS.

She's still there - Barf on her way from Cherbourg too, so they'll possibly meet each other. Maybe a photo op of both in port tomorrow morning!! Wonder if this is why the Austal still in Poole, maybe something to do with both ships being in together, and Barf beeb on her Xmas break, maybe a guess

She's still there - Barf on her way from Cherbourg too, so they'll possibly meet each other. Maybe a photo op of both in port tomorrow morning!! Wonder if this is why the Austal still in Poole, maybe something to do with both ships being in together, and Barf beeb on her Xmas break, maybe a guess
Barfleur arrived into Poole yesterday evening (26th) - she's already met her new companion :)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/tr...ilippines.html

So many people think the ship was built in the Philippines, comments in the Echo recently have been about why she wasn't built in a British shipyard. I've posted to correct, but a lot of the media stories tend to neglect the fact that she wasn't actually built to order for Condor, and there is dissatisfaction from commenters as to why she wasn't built here. It just sounds like splitting hairs correcting people but although she has sailed from the Philippines, she sailed from Perth first to get there. Perth would be better to say than Cebu.

Edited by Khaines

Yes, some good old fashioned Daily Mail (closed mind, nationalist, reactionary, dare I say verging on racist) comments in there. You wait until American-owned P&O Cruises bring in their new Italian-built flagship, festooned with the Union Jack on its bow and called Britannia, but is registered under the Bahamas flag of convenience at the stern (so they can do weddings on board). That one will really be worth reading.

Out of interest how many waterjets has she got, looks like she has five, two at the sides and three in the middle.

Edited by Khaines

Out of interest how many waterjets has she got, looks like she has five, two at the sides and three in the middle.

Three jet in the centre hull. I think the ones on the sides are T foils or interceptors.

Three jet in the centre hull. I think the ones on the sides are T foils or interceptors.

Thanks for that, the middle jets looked like the main ones, wasn't sure what the other two were for, thanks again.

Yes, some good old fashioned Daily Mail (closed mind, nationalist, reactionary, dare I say verging on racist) comments in there. You wait until American-owned P&O Cruises bring in their new Italian-built flagship, festooned with the Union Jack on its bow and called Britannia, but is registered under the Bahamas flag of convenience at the stern (so they can do weddings on board). That one will really be worth reading.

Actually the Britannia along with rest of the UK based P&O Cruises fleet are registered in Hamilton Bermuda and NOT the Bahamian flag, they fly the Bermudian red ensign.

P&O Cruises Australian vessels are still registered in London and fly the UK red ensign.

Anyone got any ideas what name Condor might choose for the new vessel? I saw they had a competition running for members of the public to come up with new name ideas but I think it was only open to Channel Island residents so I haven't been able to enter :(

Just for a bit of fun I've been having a think about possible names and I like 'Condor Endurance' as they say it will be much more reliable and able to withstand much stormier conditions than the old vessels. It also means the same in French as it does in English.

What name do you think they'll go for?

I like the Mail comments about her looking fragile - no she ain't. More annoying are the comments about her not being made in the UK. If I was the reporter I would have mentioned her being a few years old and not specifically built for Condor, despite being a brand new vessel. A lot are bemoaning the lack of use of British industry when it is not tha case. Name for her - I'd have an anagram of James' Boat, she is to me and some of us on here!!😉

Interesting that she doesn't appear to have been branded whilst undergoing her major refit. Didn't want to scratch the paintwork on the long voyage perhaps?!

As for a name, perhaps Condor Fulford or Condor Big?

Edited by LordDevereux

Interesting that she doesn't appear to have been branded whilst undergoing her major refit. Didn't want to scratch the paintwork on the long voyage perhaps?!

As for a name, perhaps Condor Fulford or Condor Big?

Condor staff I spoke to at the Haven said she was having the branding done by Trimline - whenever/if she gets there. Name - already suggested an anagram of James Boat, seeing it was him who did a lot of the donkey work in getting her!! Seriously though, Condor Swift would be my choice, fits in with the subject line of speed which the cats have.