CONDOR FERRIES: Condor Liberation

The fb page was Liberation good and bad site when I last checked the Condor website sailings still were going. So who know's the correct status. The fb page did quote a BBC Guernsey news report so best to check that source too.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They're running a competition to name her. Would like to see her go through the Suez canal, trying to find a good webcam think there are a few around there. Wonder when she is likely to get there?

Posted Images

I'm waiting too for the outcome. I think they are probably still busy and she might get the nod later tonight or tomorrow. I'm hoping she gets the nod for tomorrow, am going to Poole anyway, will go and see her off.

07.30 sailing is it if she goes?

Edited by Khaines

a Statement - 20:20 Update

Media Statement.

Following a re-inspection this afternoon from the Maritime & Coastguard Agency (MCA), Condor Liberation will return to service tomorrow (Saturday 19 March).

All of the matters identified by the MCA inspection were rectified ahead of yesterday’s inspection by our Flag State and Classification Body. Today’s re-inspection by the MCA confirms that Condor Liberation is achieving the highest standards of safety.

The contingency plans that were put in place this week will have maintained the lifeline passenger links for the Channel Islands, with around 70% of passengers offered travel on their booked day and all passengers travelling within 24 hours of their booking. By chartering MV Arrow, we have ensured that freight services were unaffected throughout. Nevertheless, we would like to apologise to our customers who have experienced disruption and delays over the last few days or will have disrupted travel this weekend.

We want to reassure our customers that we only ever sail any of our ships when we and our regulators are satisfied that they are safe. Inspections are part of ensuring that safety and we welcome them.

Next week, Condor Rapide will return to service as scheduled on Wednesday (23 March), following her planned maintenance in dry dock, ahead of the busy Easter holiday period.

Surprised if they've got all the deficiencies rectified already. What about the public address system? How long does it take to install one of them?

The whole saga in my opinion is odd. Perhaps it was just a blown fuse, But it was not working. However the ship was under maintenance at Poole Quay, so obviously the steering gear was defective as that was one of things the engineers were working on. Just odd !!

Edited by spll
speell check

That's both good and bad news I suspect. Good that someone has decided to take the initiative and provide a backup service to keep the customers happy (maybe they even read my post on 16th March and took note although I doubt I was the first to suggest such a solution!) and bad because they clearly expect further problems in the coming days and weeks. Rapide is back next week so by next weekend they will be back up to full complement but perhaps they will have to send Liberation back into dry dock for further checks and repairs and want to be able to offer an immediate replacement service. Ed.

In the ITV Channel news story interesting how they said experts claimed Normandie Express was more suited to the Channel than the Liberation. I doubt this - both are as good as each other but in different ways. I suspect the cat rolls more and Libby has those very occasional sudden lunches to one side as shown in that You Tube video last summer.

Thoughts about what? When chartered by Condor she will operate out of Poole because she is taking over ConLib's schedule and ConLib operates out of Poole. Not sure what the discussion point is there.

The fact of the charter is an interesting one though - it has seemed a no-brainier to me for a while but for some reason has only just come to fruition. So does that mean there is a thawing of relations between BF and Condor? If they are getting friendly, could the possibility of a takeover of Condor by BF even be on the cards?

It's probably no more than just a charter to raise some revenue, but sub-texts are interesting to speculate about. If Condor really are in trouble then a bail-out by BF may not be too far fetched and a CI service could pave the way for better use out of NEX.

The notion that a waterjet propelled HSC sucks in silt, sand etc from the bed of a harbour like Poole just isn't true. I was assured of this by the captain of a Condor HSC -- I was standing next to him at the time on the bridge while he was conning the craft! A much greater hazard are those small orange bouys which mark the position of lobster pots and the like. With these there is a real risk of their being sucked in through the water intakes which are directly under the craft.

• Like 1
I recall others mentioning that Brittany didn't like operating NEx out of Poole, silt or something... Be interesting if they run from Poole/Portsmouth.

​Thoughts anyone?

I don' think was actually BF that don't like it - it is just comments online by some people about Poole and sand, some were aghast about NEX coming to Poole because of the sand issue, don't think it was actually. BF. Some were worried that serving Poole would somehow kill her off!!

Correction there, Gareth - time to time, no, when she served here last year, apart fom when she did her sea trials this was her first time actually operating from Poole. Haven't heard BF carping that Poole did her any mischief, they would not want Condor using her in Poole if there were issues sandwise.

If there were the slightest risk then BF would not even consider chartering her out to Condor. They need her to be in full working order as of late April.

The question I have, as I alluded to earlier, is what Condor think they are going to do with 3 fast craft when their timetable for the next month has only included 2. There is something they are not telling us. They can't have both in Poole at the same time as there is not enough space overnight. I think they will be taking Liberation out of service for a while, maybe for independent testing, new wave height certification and crew training without causing any inconvenience. Ed.

There is no issue with the NEX operating out of Poole, as mentioned by others above, she was there last year and there were no problems. This Condor charter of the Normandie Express is reported as only happening for 5 days over the Easter Period, although other media sources are saying 5 weeks.

BF have already said they will be replacing NEX. Are we about to see an extended road test followed by a quicker than expected sale to help finance new builds?

There is no intention to replace the NEX with any vessel, I heard a similar story with Cap Finistere this week too. When I asked BF, they confirmed to me that there are no plans to get rid of either vessel. However, they will need replacing eventually but not for at least 10 years.

From NEWBUILD: Announcement in 2016? thread.

Today's Le Marin, and Ouest France, quote Martine Jourdren as saying one new ship will be ordered in 2016 and one in 2017, to replace Bretagne and Normandie. Beyond that, the plan is to replace Normandie Express and Cap Finisterre with newbuilds in the following years. 700 - 800 million Euros investment over 5 - 6 years. STX probably involved in the first 2, though they may not be built in St Nazaire. Not convinced that LNG is the way to go at present. Time will tell.

From CONDOR FERRIES: Condor Liberation thread.

There is no intention to replace the NEX with any vessel, I heard a similar story with Cap Finistere this week too. When I asked BF, they confirmed to me that there are no plans to get rid of either vessel. However, they will need replacing eventually but not for at least 10 years.

Two different threads, two different stories. Which one is right?