The Ferry Man

CONDOR FERRIES: Condor Liberation

Well just seen this on BBC news Guernsey and Guernsey press that people have been Posttesting over Condor Ferries Be interesting now what the states of Guernsey and Jersey are going to do now and end of the day is the Channel Islands Residents that suffer And Business that Suffer and it be interesting now to see how much patients that Guernsey and Jersey States have with condor

And it so so good that Brittany ferries have stepped in with Normandy express for short time And it will. professional job done to

http://guernseypress.com/news/2016/03/20/hundreds-in-condor-protest/ http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-guernsey-35855264

Hope you're not misunderstanding the situation smith85, and hope that our hypothetical discussion of a scenario of BF getting involved with the CI is not one that is being confused with current reality. All that is happening is that Condor is chartering NEX for a few days. Will still be a Condor service, and there's no element of BF stepping in on this occasion.

It's a bit of a lose/lose for Condor - if (/when) the Normandie Express proves herself to be reliable people will contrast her unfavourably with the Liberation. If she encounters any difficulties they will get the usual complaints. It may also be a worry that people stepping on board the NEX will see quite quickly that she is a rather more attractively laid out vessel!

Why does the service need to be high speed... A modern conventional RoPax capable of 25kts similar to what Northlink offer, would only put an hour on the crossing time to Guernsey. Surely the timetable could be altered to suit?

Again my sentiments exactly Jonno; I've never got too involved in the CI thing because I don't use the service, but the view from a reasonably informed outsider is that a pair of 25 knot Ro Pax vessels operating out of the UK backed up by a couple of cats whizzing between the islands and France should in theory be the perfect scenario - cash may be a minor stumbling block though.

Presumably what made the Liberation's business plan stack up was the ability to do two round trips a day, which they have already abandoned. If they had anticipated going down to one round trip a fast conventional would perhaps have made sense. Are there any specific requirements to operate a fast craft in the service agreements with the islands?

Whenever making proposals for ships for the CI please remember the size limitations e.g. 130m max length. As HSC come in small sizes generally -- thus their relevance to the CI situation.

Edited by Hawser Trunnion

HT I used Northlink as an example as both Hrossey & Hjaltland are 125m, 25kt vessels carrying 600 pax. One could commence an 0700 daily service from Jersey & the other from Poole arriving at their destinations at 1400 to return at 1600. Two crossings a day.

HT I used Northlink as an example as both Hrossey & Hjaltland are 125m, 25kt vessels carrying 600 pax. One could commence an 0700 daily service from Jersey & the other from Poole arriving at their destinations at 1400 to return at 1600. Two crossings a day.

Aside from these two, the only sub-130 metre ferry I could locate currently in European fleets (and having the requisite combination of freight capacity, car space and passenger spaces) is the Clipper's sister-ship MV Ben-my-Chree, currently in service to the Isle of Man. She is a year older than the Clipper and the operator, Steam packet Compâny, is considering replacing her in the coming years but there is no clear timetable visible as far as I can see. Ed

Presumably what made the Liberation's business plan stack up was the ability to do two round trips a day, which they have already abandoned. If they had anticipated going down to one round trip a fast conventional would perhaps have made sense. Are there any specific requirements to operate a fast craft in the service agreements with the islands?

I don't think so...

In the immortal words of deep throat... "follow the money"

Macquarie has at one time or still is, actively financially involved with:

Austel, BT Investments Group, Condor, Incat Crowther, IoMSP, Seajets...

Shame, it would have been good for her to have helped out. Any reasons why not? Let's hope Liberation behaves then over Easter, wasn't that the reason for her supposed hire?

That all sounds perfectly reasonable. Have to say I had been wondering about the berthing trials, port certification and pilotage aspects myself and was thinking there would be a lot of hurdles to overcome for just a 5-day charter. And sounds like it won't be necessary in any case. So....well done to both Condor and BF for looking into the plausibility, and well done to Condor for explaining the rationale behind the decision so well.

Agreed there, Gareth - the Express was still sitting in Le Havre earlier on, hence my earlier post. Thought they would be cutting it fine if she did do it. At least there has been good bonhomie between BF and Condor, which is a good thing anyway, and nice to see BF would have helped them out if possible. Although a let down for those on the islands who were looking forward to her, have to move onwards I guess!! I still think BF should have had NEX operating out anyway over Easter - when is she due to start her season? Can only be a few weeks away anyway. Easter ought to be on the same day every year lke Christmas anyway in my opinion, we stick to the old way the date Easter is every year. Sometimes early sometimes late.

That all sounds perfectly reasonable. Have to say I had been wondering about the berthing trials, port certification and pilotage aspects myself and was thinking there would be a lot of hurdles to overcome for just a 5-day charter. And sounds like it won't be necessary in any case. So....well done to both Condor and BF for looking into the plausibility, and well done to Condor for explaining the rationale behind the decision so well.

Yes, a very clear and logical explanation. I know NEX operated from Poole in the past so would she have to repeat berthing trials there, assuming there have been no structural changes to the port in the intervening years? Perhaps it would be a good idea for her to add such berthing trials for St Malo (if necessary) Jersey and Guernsey to her end-of-season programme in September in case of future requests for charter. It would then overcome one major stumbling block in future.

What is not quite such good news is the extended forecast for the channel this coming weekend. The French weather services are suggesting strong gusting winds around the Channel Islands from late Thursday through to Sunday evening which may result in, let's not use the 'C' word, but service disruptions. I hope they have got the Clipper on stand by to take over if things deteriorate. Ed.

Doubt if NEX would have to undergo more berthing/ramp trials in Poole as she already did so prior to last year's service. St Malo would be a good idea - and could they possibly fit in the Channel Islands at some point for future reference?

Weatherwise - case of wait and see, don't want to tempt fate - but strong winds in the Channel over Easter, madam might not approve. They need to get these higher wave limit trials done.

Normandie Express has already visited St Malo on a couple of occasions for the start of the Route du Rhum yacht race.

They need to get these higher wave limit trials done.

I'd have thought that a year down the line, with the number of weather related cancellations they've had, an opportunity could have been found to conduct the tests. Lets hope the reason it hasn't been done is not the obvious one.

The one people seem to think is the reason..😉 They need to either get on and do it or say they are not going to bother. Madam due out today, I wonder? I might go for a stroll along to Sandbanks and watch her, seeing as I have just missed an important meeting. Nice sunny day.

Edited by Khaines

If Easter fell later in tne year they probably would have her out. Easter sometimes falls end of April. When is she due out this year? She really ought to be working over Easter!!