The Ferry Man

CONDOR FERRIES: Condor Liberation

. Name - already suggested an anagram of James Boat, seeing it was him who did a lot of the donkey work in getting her!!

"Job As Mate" will be her name then!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-guernsey-30795559

Two of the ferries operating from the Channel Islands have been sold and will be replaced by a single larger vessel.

The Condor Express and Condor Vitesse currently operate between Guernsey, Jersey and the UK.

The vessels, built in Tasmania in 1997 and 1998, have been sold to Greek firm Seajets for an undisclosed sum.

They will be replaced on the service by a £50m Austal-class vessel, which was bought earlier this year, and has yet to be given a name.

Due to the size of the vessel, known as Condor 102, the company will no longer sail to Weymouth and will only go to Poole.

The 102m (335ft) vessel can carry up to 880 passengers and 245 vehicles, compared to the current fast ferries with capacity for up to 741 passengers and 175 vehicles each.

The company said the Vitesse would be delivered to its new owner at the end of February, while Condor Express would remain on standby with Condor Ferries until the successful introduction of Condor 102 on the Channel Islands-to-UK route.

Captain Fran Collins, executive director of operations, said: "Condor Vitesse and Express have served our customers extremely well over the years and we shall be sorry to say goodbye to them.

"We are very excited with the excellent progress being made on the final fit-out of Condor 102 and look forward to introducing her to the islands in March.

"Until then, we will operate our normal winter schedule between the Islands and the UK."

The company's other fast ferry, the Condor Rapide, will continue to operate between the islands and St Malo.

Condor Ferries is the only firm operating a passenger service between Guernsey, Jersey, the UK and France.

Thanks for the info. Remember talking to a couple of Condor bods on Boxing Day and one said that the Express will stay on for a while as a standby, which I feel is very sensible. Glad they have been found new homes.

If Condor have any problems with the 102 then they are extremely "light"regarding back up.

When the Express goes the cover for the 102 becomes almost non-existant.

What are Condor's back-up plans in case of technical problems with the 102.

Rapide will be the only other HSC, so unless passengers get put on the Clipper then Rapide will have to be juggled. Can't see any other way they will manage it. 102 being a new vessel, she should be relatively free of techies, but then that is famous last words!! She should be better than the cats for a while and free from problems due to her newness.

Edited by Khaines

Not having a plan B sounds very risky to me! With Vitesse and Express sold. There is no back up for the UK to Channel Islands service if the new vessel has any technical issues or gets damaged. Unless it happens in the Winter when Commore Clipper could be the back up. Sod's law will dictate that when it happens it will be in August

I feel they are playing with fire not having Express or Vitesse for backup until every unknown about the 5 year old "new" boat is known. I hope they're basing their service on some kind of knowledge and not an enormous gamble. I'm not sure how the islanders feel, they are losing a lot of what they like, multiple sailings, redundancy year round of a second and third ship option. That's before the effect and cost of running through Poole Harbour are really known.

Question about the 102 - where are her funnels, only just noticed, doesn't look like she has any. Obviously she has, but they aren't very visible!

Remember, Khaines, that the funnels on the Vitesse and Express are fakes. The exhaust gases can be discharged with the cooling water. You may remember on the cats that they were good at smoking from the rear vents. A similar arrangement may exist on the 102 or these vents may be hidden from view.

I never knew they were fakes. NEX, also being an Incat, does have some kind of exhaust coming from her funnels though, remember walking back to the terminal in Cherbourg and she was departing. Definitely smoke coming from her funnels and the wind was blowing it in my direction - almost certainly her exhaust I could smell, remember calling her a few things under my breath!!

Remember the Condor Express being enveloped in a cloud of smoke coming from behind, this watching her from Studland going into Poole, thought she had some kind of fire, she looked like it!!

Edited by Khaines

in someway condor have not looked after them properly and the maintenance was not 100% and you cart for blamed the age of its vessels on intermittent breakdowns And yes the expresse and vitesse are getting on now 17 and 18 years old

But if say Brittany ferries own the vitesse she would off been a lot better condition looked after better then condor and it be be interesting how condor looks after the new condor 102 and see. They can maintain her better then vitesse and express and condor need a big Reifert in staff engineers and maintenance

If they don't look after the 102 and she breaks down as often as the cats then they will have big problems, so I think it is in their best interests to look after her.

If they don't look after the 102 and she breaks down as often as the cats then they will have big problems, so I think it is in their best interests to look after her.

Are they putting all their eggs in one basket? Or do they have alternative support plans?

They have a conventional ferry service at Portsmouth.This could well be the support for the 102.

But from where? Portsmouth or Poole?

Something tells me that Condor have something up their sleeve.I can't imagine them investing all this money in a new vessel without any back-up support in case of technical problems;

If the Clipper is the support service then I reckon it will be Pompey and passengers will be transferred? Either that or the Clipper has to call at Poole en route. Whatever, it will be awkward!!

When James F was talking about her before her purchase in the media (he did practically all the press) he never mentioned at all any back up plans in the case of problems, and I reckon he would have said what they would be if there were any. I assume it will be Rapide doing it all. I expect there are contingency plans and it will be Rapide.

Edited by Khaines

If the Clipper is the support service then I reckon it will be Pompey and passengers will be transferred? Either that or the Clipper has to call at Poole en route. Whatever, it will be awkward!!

When James F was talking about her before her purchase in the media (he did practically all the press) he never mentioned at all any back up plans in the case of problems, and I reckon he would have said what they would be if there were any. I assume it will be Rapide doing it all. I expect there are contingency plans and it will be Rapide.

I hope Condor's contingency plans are better than what we have seen in the past. Let's wait and see what happens.I can't believe that Condor would run a route with so little cover.

Or would they?