CONDOR FERRIES: Condor Liberation

You spoke too soon....

Liberation is having trouble with one of her turbo chargers so is operating at reduced speed meaning longer crossing times (5hrs Poole-Jersey, 4 hrs Guernsey-Poole) and no Guernsey-Jersey leg.

Note to self - get a crystal ball. If you look at her Marine traffic track, her speed shows she is doing between 25-30 kt on average. Hardly a snail. Edited by Khaines
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They're running a competition to name her. Would like to see her go through the Suez canal, trying to find a good webcam think there are a few around there. Wonder when she is likely to get there?

Posted Images

After visiting St Malo recently, I had cause to investigate in more detail the Condor schedules. I was surprised to discover that Condor Rapide's schedules no longer provide for any Jersey-Guernsey sailings. So the only inter-island service now on offer comes from Condor Liberation's daily rotation. (When it happens). So, with a lot of (justified) attention having been paid to the erosion of the UK - Islands offering, that seems to me as nothing compared to the demise of the inter-island service. I thought that this used to run at 4 or 5 sailings a day each way, but now is down to 1. And 1 that is very vulnerable to cancellation. How are the islanders coping woth this?

After visiting St Malo recently, I had cause to investigate in more detail the Condor schedules. I was surprised to discover that Condor Rapide's schedules no longer provide for any Jersey-Guernsey sailings. So the only inter-island service now on offer comes from Condor Liberation's daily rotation. (When it happens). So, with a lot of (justified) attention having been paid to the erosion of the UK - Islands offering, that seems to me as nothing compared to the demise of the inter-island service. I thought that this used to run at 4 or 5 sailings a day each way, but now is down to 1. And 1 that is very vulnerable to cancellation. How are the islanders coping woth this?

Gareth, she has been running without cancellations for quite a while now, one blip and they all kick off. She operates most of the time now ok, people need to wind their necks in over there. Thing is, she could go tech once a year and they'd make a fuss. It is nothing like it used to be at all.

Gareth, she has been running without cancellations for quite a while now, one blip and they all kick off. She operates most of the time now ok, people need to wind their necks in over there. Thing is, she could go tech once a year and they'd make a fuss. It is nothing like it used to be at all.

I think anyone who does not live on the islands fails to fully understand the concerns. Recently we had the franchising of the Blue Islands airline under the Flybe brand, which means there is only one airline that does inter island flying. Blue Islands has an ageing fleet which has meant lots of cancellations recently and on some days no capacity at all. With the reduction of Condor services, there is effectively no back up to the airlines. There is so much inter islands travel, not only for business but for leisure and sporting groups (it is far cheaper to arrange matches against inter island teams than against those in the UK). I know that because of the situation there is interest in starting a Jersey Guernsey passenger only ferry service, but it will be 2017 before it will happen

I think anyone who does not live on the islands fails to fully understand the concerns. Recently we had the franchising of the Blue Islands airline under the Flybe brand, which means there is only one airline that does inter island flying. Blue Islands has an ageing fleet which has meant lots of cancellations recently and on some days no capacity at all. With the reduction of Condor services, there is effectively no back up to the airlines. There is so much inter islands travel, not only for business but for leisure and sporting groups (it is far cheaper to arrange matches against inter island teams than against those in the UK). I know that because of the situation there is interest in starting a Jersey Guernsey passenger only ferry service, but it will be 2017 before it will happen

Brigitte she has indeed had a relatively problem-free summer. But my observations were primarily to do with the schedule rather than reliability. (Reliability only from the point of view of the effect of it when there is only 1 scheduled round trip each way, which is a far cry from what it used to be). That's not "kicking off", it's just an observation of fact.

Brigitte she has indeed had a relatively problem-free summer. But my observations were primarily to do with the schedule rather than reliability. (Reliability only from the point of view of the effect of it when there is only 1 scheduled round trip each way, which is a far cry from what it used to be). That's not "kicking off", it's just an observation of fact.

But it's not really an inter-island service. You can go from Guernsey to Jersey and back on the same day and only have time for a pint at the terminal so no use to anyone really. You have to spend the night if you want to get anything done. But you can't go from Jersey to Guernsey and back on the same day even if you did just want a pint. Plus you might get into Guernsey after businesses close and have to leave by mid morning the next day giving you get very little time. Alternatively you travel via St Malo and spend the best part of an entire working day at sea. Northsaul2 you are right that a fast and regular passenger ferry would be the answer, maybe leaving from somewhere on Jersey's north coast (Greve de Lecq where there is plenty of parking, the Rozel quarry if it was feasible or Bonne Nuit or Bouley Bay) to cut journey times and avoid the rough seas around La Corbiere. Ed.

But it's not really an inter-island service. You can go from Guernsey to Jersey and back on the same day and only have time for a pint at the terminal so no use to anyone really. You have to spend the night if you want to get anything done. But you can't go from Jersey to Guernsey and back on the same day even if you did just want a pint. Plus you might get into Guernsey after businesses close and have to leave by mid morning the next day giving you get very little time. Alternatively you travel via St Malo and spend the best part of an entire working day at sea. Northsaul2 you are right that a fast and regular passenger ferry would be the answer, maybe leaving from somewhere on Jersey's north coast (Greve de Lecq where there is plenty of parking, the Rozel quarry if it was feasible or Bonne Nuit or Bouley Bay) to cut journey times and avoid the rough seas around La Corbiere. Ed.

Good point Ed. So, in fact, there is really no longer any inter-island service at all that is of any use to the islanders. I'm shocked to have discovered that, I had always assumed that Condor Rapide provided one. But she doesn't, and as you say Ed, the sailings by Liberation are not designed to provide an inter-island service at all, Guersney is just a stopover en route from Poole to Jersey.

Given that Lib only does one Uk-CI rotation in the day, you'd think she should at least be able to squeeze in a J-G-J round trip before starting her return J-G-Poole return crossing.

Edit: Or maybe there might be a better solution. Inter-island by Liberation could be overkill, so perhaps Liberation should do a Jersey-St Malo-Jersey round trip before returning to the UK, freeing up Rapide to do an inter-island round trip in lieu of one of her Jersey rotations.

So Rapide could perhaps have a daily routine that went something like St Malo - Jersey - Guernsey - St Malo - Guernsey - Jersey - St Malo instead of her current one, with Liberation doing Poole - Guernsey - Jersey - St Malo - Jersey - Guernsey - Poole.

That way you would still have the St Malo-Guernsey round trip (but the other way round). St Malo-Jersey would be at around 0730 (Rapide) and 1630 (Liberation), Jersey-St Malo would be around 1300 (Liberation) and 2000 (Rapide). Jersey-Guernsey would be at around 0900 (Rapide) and 1800 (Liberation) with Guernsey-Jersey at around 1100 (Liberation) and 1700 (Rapide).

That would provide a half-decent service on all routes wouldn't it?

Edited by Gareth

Good point Ed. So, in fact, there is really no longer any inter-island service at all that is of any use to the islanders. I'm shocked to have discovered that, I had always assumed that Condor Rapide provided one. But she doesn't, and as you say Ed, the sailings by Liberation are not designed to provide an inter-island service at all, Guersney is just a stopover en route from Poole to Jersey.

Given that Lib only does one Uk-CI rotation in the day, you'd think she should at least be able to squeeze in a J-G-J round trip before starting her return J-G-Poole return crossing.

Edit: Or maybe there might be a better solution. Inter-island by Liberation could be overkill, so perhaps Liberation should do a Jersey-St Malo-Jersey round trip before returning to the UK, freeing up Rapide to do an inter-island round trip in lieu of one of her Jersey rotations.

So Rapide could perhaps have a daily routine that went something like St Malo - Jersey - Guernsey - St Malo - Guernsey - Jersey - St Malo instead of her current one, with Liberation doing Poole - Guernsey - Jersey - St Malo - Jersey - Guernsey - Poole.

That way you would still have the St Malo-Guernsey round trip (but the other way round). St Malo-Jersey would be at around 0730 (Rapide) and 1630 (Liberation), Jersey-St Malo would be around 1300 (Liberation) and 2000 (Rapide). Jersey-Guernsey would be at around 0900 (Rapide) and 1800 (Liberation) with Guernsey-Jersey at around 1100 (Liberation) and 1700 (Rapide).

That would provide a half-decent service on all routes wouldn't it?

Edited by Gareth

Yes but you then lose the early morning Jersey to France sailing which always seems popular as it allows people to get a good head start on their trips. Whatever way you play it there will always be problems and objections (tides, port congestion, crew rotation times etc) that have become apparent with the loss of the third vessel. I don't know how many people on the inter island route take their cars with them but it can't be all that many. If the airlines who could compete on the foot passenger market are failing to provide a reliable service maybe Condor should buy a third, smaller and passenger only fast craft (there are plenty of such vessels in and around Norway or partner with Manche Iles Express who run the Normandy services and are not a direct threat and already provide some transfers between Jersey and Guernsey/Sark) and run passenger shuttles each way in the morning, at lunchtime and in the evening after working out the required volumes. 1 hour port to port compares very favourably with the time to get in and out of the airports plus time in the air and you are not restricted in terms of luggage and can even take bikes with you. Ed

Yes but you then lose the early morning Jersey to France sailing which always seems popular as it allows people to get a good head start on their trips. Whatever way you play it there will always be problems and objections (tides, port congestion, crew rotation times etc) that have become apparent with the loss of the third vessel. I don't know how many people on the inter island route take their cars with them but it can't be all that many. If the airlines who could compete on the foot passenger market are failing to provide a reliable service maybe Condor should buy a third, smaller and passenger only fast craft (there are plenty of such vessels in and around Norway or partner with Manche Iles Express who run the Normandy services and are not a direct threat and already provide some transfers between Jersey and Guernsey/Sark) and run passenger shuttles each way in the morning, at lunchtime and in the evening after working out the required volumes. 1 hour port to port compares very favourably with the time to get in and out of the airports plus time in the air and you are not restricted in terms of luggage and can even take bikes with you. Ed

I didn't mean you were kicking off, Gareth, more to the point that no matter how long she goes without a tech, the minute there is a blip there is a feeding frenzy on social media. The odd blip cannot be helped and she is performing a lot better than she was on the whole. How she behaves come the autumal and winter weather has yet to be seen. As said before, I think that she ought to provide just a UK - Guernsey service and Rapide cover inter islands and St Malo.

I didn't mean you were kicking off, Gareth, more to the point that no matter how long she goes without a tech, the minute there is a blip there is a feeding frenzy on social media. The odd blip cannot be helped and she is performing a lot better than she was on the whole. How she behaves come the autumal and winter weather has yet to be seen. As said before, I think that she ought to provide just a UK - Guernsey service and Rapide cover inter islands and St Malo.

One things for sure, in my opinion. That is the Liberation will be the downfall of Condor, as it is not suited at all for the job in hand, and never will be. Doing just one trip a day to anywhere, is never going to pay, or get people back visiting the islands. As for the Express and Vitesse, they are still sailing trouble free, in there new homes. No doubt making money for there new owners.

One things for sure, in my opinion. That is the Liberation will be the downfall of Condor, as it is not suited at all for the job in hand, and never will be. Doing just one trip a day to anywhere, is never going to pay, or get people back visiting the islands. As for the Express and Vitesse, they are still sailing trouble free, in there new homes. No doubt making money for there new owners.

The downfall of Condor will be the moaning minnies - and if thay happens then as has been said so many times, there is nothing to take their place, or likely to be, so those moaning minnies will shoot themselves in both feet at the same time, Lib has her faults but not to the extent it is made out to be. Let us see what happens then if Condor do indeed leave the Channel Islands and they are left with diddly squat. The situation with Lib is nothing compared to what will happen if they have NO ferries, if they lose Condor and Lib, they lose Rapide, Clipper and Goodwill too. Well done folks in advance...🙄🙄🙄
The downfall of Condor will be the moaning minnies - and if thay happens then as has been said so many times, there is nothing to take their place, or likely to be, so those moaning minnies will shoot themselves in both feet at the same time, Lib has her faults but not to the extent it is made out to be. Let us see what happens then if Condor do indeed leave the Channel Islands and they are left with diddly squat. The situation with Lib is nothing compared to what will happen if they have NO ferries, if they lose Condor and Lib, they lose Rapide, Clipper and Goodwill too. Well done folks in advance...🙄🙄🙄

I fully agree with this. We already know that she is a PR disaster, but what we don't know is the finer details of the business model. If she is an economic disaster too then yes, she will be the downfall of the company.

I fully agree with this. We already know that she is a PR disaster, but what we don't know is the finer details of the business model. If she is an economic disaster too then yes, she will be the downfall of the company.

When you make children put up with something different to what they wanted in the shop - this is how I see this. Known several people go on Lib recently and have ben perfectly complimentary about her. I know she can be a pain in the rougher seas, but who is to say that a different boat would handle better? Cats weren't perfect and people have short memories as to their pecadilloes.

When you make children put up with something different to what they wanted in the shop - this is how I see this. Known several people go on Lib recently and have ben perfectly complimentary about her. I know she can be a pain in the rougher seas, but who is to say that a different boat would handle better? Cats weren't perfect and people have short memories as to their pecadilloes.