The Ferry Man

CONDOR FERRIES: Condor Liberation

Why all the talk about what cover there is?...how many lines / routes have another vessel around to cover. Whilst I appreciate that some operators have the ability to switch and cover not all have a vessel "hanging" around just in case.

Other ferry companies such as Brittany Ferries do have enough ships to switch and cover in the case of problems.Condor is selling two and replacing it with one.

Condor 102 will need cover in case of breakdown and servicing.

All I am saying is that with one not terribly reliable cat as the cover they could be asking for problems.

If Barfleur has problems (luckily hardly ever) then it would be the same, especially out of season. She does not have a replacement vessel on standby, and people are transferred to Pompey. And out of season there wouldn't be NEX to get to Cherbourg on either, have to go to Caen. Seeing as Condor's contract with the islands is non exclusive then there is always the possibility of another operator coming in. Another operator could join forces with Condor to provide inter island ferries and the Rapide gets moved to UK - they could posibly make this a permanant thing and have two vessels again running if needs be from here.

If Barfleur has problems (luckily hardly ever) then it would be the same, especially out of season. She does not have a replacement vessel on standby, and people are transferred to Pompey. And out of season there wouldn't be NEX to get to Cherbourg on either, have to go to Caen. Seeing as Condor's contract with the islands is non exclusive then there is always the possibility of another operator coming in. Another operator could join forces with Condor to provide inter island ferries and the Rapide gets moved to UK - they could posibly make this a permanant thing and have two vessels again running if needs be from here.

Not quite the same Brigitte. BF have capacity on it's other routes if there is a problem.

Condor has very little capacity and is operating out of one UK port.

If the 102 is out of action would you like to rely on the Rapide?

Rapide is a lot more reliable than the other cats, Patrick, she is relatively problem free, if it was her - yes - the other two, no, especially the Vitesse, she seems to be beset with techies. Rapide has a lot less mileage on her and has had a cushy little number over there so her 'health' should be better than that of her sisters.

Edited by Khaines

Best view would be from Barfleur, I walked all the way down to near the Thistle Hotel to photograph Waverley passing the Express, and that was with an 18 zoom. Masts or buildings get in the way. Atrip on Barfleur is your best bet, you will be very up close and personal as she is in the next door berth, and you can get some good angles. I've yet to do it due to not been travelling, but am going to do so. Need to do it!!

Why the pessimism regarding the Austal 102? Apart from some initial problems with the Vitesse when first introduced both the Express and Vitesse, with the exception of 2012 & 2013, have actually been very reliable over many years. Condor seemed to have had no problem quickly obtaining a replacement for the damaged Clipper so if needed why could they not do the same again?

Why the pessimism regarding the Austal 102? Apart from some initial problems with the Vitesse when first introduced both the Express and Vitesse, with the exception of 2012 & 2013, have actually been very reliable over many years. Condor seemed to have had no problem quickly obtaining a replacement for the damaged Clipper so if needed why could they not do the same again?

There are a lot more conventional ferries on the spot market than fast ferries. And the Clippers replacement wasn't that easy to find (or the best ) due to size restrictions in the CI. Would think it would be nigh on impossible to find a fast craft very quickly.

There has been a lot of pessimism apart from the issue of breakdowns. My only issues are as have said before, about a certain person leaving, that is my disappointment, but I like her as a vessel, she hasn't had a chance to prove her worth yet. I am glad she is here. And although I understand the difficulties that Weymouth have in losing the company, there has come across a lot of sour grapes now which really need to be put to bed, this comes out on online stuff away from here, so not really relevant to this discussion here, but some of the pessimism elsewhere is more sour grapes than anything else. Having said that, many many people seem to be supporting her. Just wish people would be more enthusiastic. I know there is bitterness and this well understood in some cases, just think as enthusiasts we should be looking forward a bit more!!

Edited by Khaines

There are a lot more conventional ferries on the spot market than fast ferries. And the Clippers replacement wasn't that easy to find (or the best ) due to size restrictions in the CI. Would think it would be nigh on impossible to find a fast craft very quickly.

Couldn't they use the NEx when she is laid up during the winter?

They could but I don't think that BF would be happy, lending her out to the opposition!

I really do hope that Condor get it right.Not just for them but for Poole as well.

But as said before I have my doubts.

I hope I'm proved wrong.

**Splutters into coffee**. Seriously, as Patrick said, can't see BF lending her out. I think she is wasted laid up for the winter anyway, so she would be put to use, just can't see BF having any of it.

I'm guessing the NEx is in good mechanical condition and she doesn't get a hammering through the winter and BF would want to keep it that way. Hope the 102 is fine but I think Condor are leaving themselves open with just one craft. But other than buying another similar craft what else can they do.

at the end of the day Wightlink have 2 cats...when one away they manage to get a stand in even though talking smaller scale. Clipper could do more cars on a daytime crossing to cover one way as they can always get another freight vessel to help out by the looks. I always thought that they could do with getting another clipper style vessel giving that extra car/passenger option. Isle of Man ferry company have a match.

I'm guessing the NEx is in good mechanical condition and she doesn't get a hammering through the winter and BF would want to keep it that way. Hope the 102 is fine but I think Condor are leaving themselves open with just one craft. But other than buying another similar craft what else can they do.
i wonder if, and a big if, the 102 proves herself, would they consider putting an order in for another, and give her a sister? Pie in the sky, guesswork, but once she's paid her way, would they invest in another HSC, or maybe another conventional to run from Poole. Barfleur only sits there overnight apart from the overnighters, so there would be space for another conventional?

i wonder if, and a big if, the 102 proves herself, would they consider putting an order in for another, and give her a sister? Pie in the sky, guesswork, but once she's paid her way, would they invest in another HSC, or maybe another conventional to run from Poole. Barfleur only sits there overnight apart from the overnighters, so there would be space for another conventional?

I wonder how long it's been projected for 102 to pay for herself. It'll be a lot of bums on seats, that's for sure.

Probably a long time at £50m, it has been said about the costs of running her from Poole v Weymouth, but they would be running one HSC instead of two, and if she is regularly filled, then she should please the bean counters. She will be very busy for the best part of the year more than likely as due to her being a new 'kind' of ferry, she will get a lot of interest.

She will be very busy for the best part of the year more than likely as due to her being a new 'kind' of ferry, she will get a lot of interest.

Mostly from the members on this forum, I think! It has occured to me, looking as I am to book a crossing around easter on the 102, there are an awful lot of documents they will have to change when she's finally given a name!

As a new type of ferry, maybe she will attract some "young-at-hearts" away from NEx!

Mostly from the members on this forum, I think! It has occured to me, looking as I am to book a crossing around easter on the 102, there are an awful lot of documents they will have to change when she's finally given a name!

As a new type of ferry, maybe she will attract some "young-at-hearts" away from NEx!

It'll take longer to paint the name on the hull, life belts etc than doing all the paperwork.

Wonder how long it will take marinetraffic to recognise her new name, when Barfleur changed back from Deal Seaways, took ages to have her as back as previous.. Wonder if they are still using that photo of her in her DS days...

Actually just checked while thinking about it - yes Barf's photo on marinetraffic has changed, there is now a pic of her in her old Truckline livery...😐

Have they got an open day planned? Might swing the pessimists and be good to see the engine room, would not be able to do that during a crossing. Would like a gander at her engine room. Bridge looks like NEx's looks tiny apart from the wings, a smaller cockpit.