CONDOR FERRIES: Condor Liberation

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They're running a competition to name her. Would like to see her go through the Suez canal, trying to find a good webcam think there are a few around there. Wonder when she is likely to get there?

Posted Images

Gareth - where are you.....😉😉😉😉

Splendid idea. I particularly think that the ship would be improved by the removal of the over-rated and under-used Les Abers, as indicated in the picture. Leave the cabins on deck 2 though, they are a very popular feature. But I think the opportunity should be taken to install portholes so that these cabins have an outside view. Then underwater wildlife trips could become a regular marketing theme for trips to the Channel Islands.

Splendid idea. I particularly think that the ship would be improved by the removal of the over-rated and under-used Les Abers, as indicated in the picture. Leave the cabins on deck 2 though, they are a very popular feature. But I think the opportunity should be taken to install portholes so that these cabins have an outside view. Then underwater wildlife trips could become a regular marketing theme for trips to the Channel Islands.

No point, she couldn't possibly match the peak of nautical excellence that is running there already so why bother! ;) ;)

• Like 1

An article in the Guernsey Press today suggests that the likely outcome of the service review of Condor is to recommend the introduction of another vessel on the UK to and inter-island route. Although the article doesn't seem to specifically say I assume this is in addition to rather than instead of the Liberation.

http://guernseypress.com/news/2016/08/10/another-ferry-seen-as-likely-answer-to-condor-problems/

Whether Condor will choose to act on the recommendation (assuming the article is true) I am not sure, neither am I sure what the consequences would be if they don't.

Well the recommendation is not rocket science (although a second ropax is another obvious one). But the enforceability on Condor and consequence of non-compliance is a good question to raise. One gets the impression things might be coming to a head.

BF could slow passing the islands and the Sark Belle used as a tender. All the footies could be transferred by bosuns chair.

I'm sure Condor must be keeping a close eye on the IOMSP's plans to replace the Ben-My-Chree. As a sister to the Clipper she would make a perfect running mate, replacing the Goodwill to offer an enhanced (reliable) passenger service.

By all accounts BMC is a rather inferior ship to Commodore Clipper so I guess she would need some work on her accommodation to bring it up to a similar standard.

Seems to me a more sensible plan would be to join forces and go halves in designing a new build. Then they can have 1 each based on a common design.

By all accounts BMC is a rather inferior ship to Commodore Clipper so I guess she would need some work on her accommodation to bring it up to a similar standard.

Seems to me a more sensible plan would be to join forces and go halves in designing a new build. Then they can have 1 each based on a common design.

In what way is she inferior? She has had major accommodation upgrades over the past few years, and feels very fresh on board. Whilst Commodore Clipper seems to be the same as she was in 1999.

And Condor can keep an eye on her all they want, she is staying with the IoMSPC after her replacement arrives.

Good point Jonno (the first paragraph not the last one - I like your spoutings). BMC is a red herring when it comes to future strategy for Condor.

But Condor and IoMSP have very similar requirements for their ships so it makes a lot of sense for them to pool resources in developing new builds.

Any joint design between Condor and IOMSPC would have to have some flexibility for bespoke design. Clipper has twice the number of cabin berths compared to the Ben. Plus I believe the Clipper has superior manouvrability when berthing in rough weather with her more powerful bow thrusters. In all Clipper is a far superior vessel in all areas. Good idea though nonetheless the two companies sharing resources.

The authorities in the CI need first to decide what they want the extra vessel for. Is it for the Channel Islanders themselves or is it to encourage holiday makers or day trippers from the mainland. Unfortunately different types of vessel are required for each of the three groups.

Not completely mutually exclusive. The needs of the islanders will overlap with the other 2 categories. Day trippers needs a comprehensive fast ferry service, but that will also benefit the islanders. Holiday makers would benefit from a proper overnight service, but again that would also be of benefit. Condor has a responsibility to cater for the needs of all these groups, which is why a fleet of 3 fast ferries (including the St Malo based one) and 2 ro-paxes is what is needed.

As predicted on the Sailing Updates thread the Liberation has now been cancelled for the Saturday crossing to the islands and back due to wave height limits. The Rapide is still running according to the latest information. Ed.

How can the Rapide run and NEX not?

Both Lib and NEX best tied up - in Liberation's case rather she is tied up and a cancelled sailing rather than sail her and risk damage berthing her, risking a period of repair. Having said that she can manage do get damaged tied up so hope she doesn't manage that one again!! Both those two belong tied up in this weather.

I think it was the introduction of the fast cats that destroyed BCIF because they creamed the passengers off BCIF in the summer and gradually got bigger fast craft and did not sail in the winter so BCIF didn't make the profit in the summer to run through the winter and there was always freight competition with BCIF and Condor.

Absolutely no way would Condor move Clipper or any other Ro/pax service to Poole. It was Portsmouth that destroyed BCIF and they would always fear that if they did move, that would leave Portsmouth open to a competitor

And who would be the competitor ?, nobody else wants the CI's

Some think over there that BF should call there - what with, only suitable vessel is NEX, Barfleur probably too big. And they would not run NEX in winter and they would cancel her in weather like tomorrow's. So I have no idea why they think BF would operate. Lib sails all winter, even if she is uncomfortable and probably not suited to winter seas. BF would not run NEX at all out of season. So if they had her over there they would get a few months service a year.