CONDOR FERRIES: Condor Liberation

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They're running a competition to name her. Would like to see her go through the Suez canal, trying to find a good webcam think there are a few around there. Wonder when she is likely to get there?

Posted Images

I know this thread is about the Liberation but as we still don't seem to have one dedicated to Condor's general operations it will have to suffice. The Rapide seems to be suffering from mechanical problems which caused delays yesterday and which are ongoing today. Each sailing seems to be taking around 25 minutes extra which when cumulated over her relatively intensive Saturday schedule means day trippers to Jersey will be getting back to St Malo very late tonight. Ed.

I think there might be a potential solution to providing a backup vessel for Condor winter use. One of the "yellow perils" will be put to bed for winter soon. I'm sure Transmanche would be happy to earn a few quid from it over the winter. Assuming it would fit of course..

I think there might be a potential solution to providing a backup vessel for Condor winter use. One of the "yellow perils" will be put to bed for winter soon. I'm sure Transmanche would be happy to earn a few quid from it over the winter. Assuming it would fit of course..

Unfortunately they are too long for the ports. It's been suggested before but as they were designed to fit Newhaven and Dieppe they are therefore incompatible with both Jersey and Guernsey. Ed.

Edited by Cabin-boy

Yes, as Ed says, these ships are far too big for the CI ports so not suitable. Add in that they each take turns at Newhaven while the other is on refit during the winter, that what Condor needs is more than just winter backup, and that chartering them out in this way is probably in contravention of the Transmanche rules on their deployment, then it is clear for numerous reasons that this is a non-starter.

• 2 weeks later...

That would suit me fine, giving me the chance to test her out, but the worry still remains over both her general reliability and her ability to berth under high winds. If anything that might be a more critical problem on the southern route given the number of day trippers from France to Jersey in particular who really do want to get ashore in time to have a full day and who also really want to get home again at the end of it. There is competition on the route (from the Normandy side but not from Brittany) in the summer months (and at Christmas time) from Manche Iles Express out of Granville and Carteret/Dielette which I have used at various times. In my experience they are very dependable (but don't take cars) and could well be in a position to pick up business from Condor if they don't get their service right. Ed

My opinion of her, as it always has been, that in good calm seas, she is lovely, but in rougher conditions she reminds me of Wightlink C Class (who I travelled on quite frequently as I worked on the IOW) in winter. Wightlink send those boats out in all weathers and anyone that has been on the Solent in very bad conditions know fully well that it can be quite choppy!! I got derision for comparing the Solent to the open Channel, but my own personal experiences with Libby in good and bad is that she just reminded me of Caedmon and Co at their winter best. And their car decks are (were in their case) wide open and fully exposed to the elements apart from the central sections and mezzanines. I was never really that bothered by either vessel.

The Southern route is less windier and more than likely to give Lib less excuses for cancellations, she'd have a cushy little number there. But as Nick said, her size makes her more necessary on the northern route. Meanwhile Lib's autumn persona has arrived.

The reasons for the cancelled port calls are to do with conditions in the harbours (and how Lib handles on them), not conditions en route. If she cannot berth in St Helier it doesn't matter a jot whether she has come from Poole or St Malo, the sailing is still cancelled.

I was on the Poole-Guernsey sector on Saturday where the Jersey call was missed; the captain was very clear over the PA that LIberation could not dock safely in St Helier in the wind conditions. The crossing itself was very poor with all Libby's worst traits on display: (1) the port-centre-port-starboard movement as it shifts between the outriggers, (2) the constant left-right mini-movements and (3) the banging against the hull that I've previously experienced in a cross sea - this was particularly noticeable while passing through the Ortac channel. Finally there was a reasonable swell; all of these combined left me as someone who doesn't generally suffer from seasickness feeling somewhat green around the gills and lots of pax visibly uncomfortable.

By contrast, the return sector on Sunday evening was absolutely fine with the exception of a swell just the north of Alderney.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Yes some people here on island are not happy. Looks like Libby is indeed here to stay for the next 20 years. Interesting to see Clupper to stay in service until 2032. She'll be well ancient by then.

Interesting point Nick, she'll be 33 by then. Stena Europe has just received an extensive refit, new stabilisers, bow thrusters, rudder, kitchens & cabins. She's also the first of Stenas fleet to have the new livery.

Not bad for a girl approaching her 37th birthday.

I read late in 2016 that the new builds being floated now are expected to have at least a 40 year lifespan.

• 2 months later...