CONDOR FERRIES: Condor Liberation

On 23/04/2017 at 15:57, Khaines said:

I see the new fendering has arrived  in Poole - photo on Facebook this morning, so Libby has new cushions. 

I don't see Facebook so what new fendering is this?  Poole already has the two Yokohama fenders which are used as occasion demands.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They're running a competition to name her. Would like to see her go through the Suez canal, trying to find a good webcam think there are a few around there. Wonder when she is likely to get there?

Posted Images

New quayside fendering for Berth 2.  Kevin who posted the pic might be able to elaborate!  Libby-wise, has she had any work done on her ramp, looks like black panels where her curtained area was.  Looks like steel doors?  She looks different.

20 hours ago, Khaines said:

New quayside fendering for Berth 2.  Kevin who posted the pic might be able to elaborate!  Libby-wise, has she had any work done on her ramp, looks like black panels where her curtained area was.  Looks like steel doors?  She looks different.

Thanks for this.  I am mildly surprised to learn of it.  Could it be that PHC as part of the South Quay development are modifying RoRo 2 to take a wider range of ferries than just HSC like Condor Lib?

I think maybe they are replacing the fenders anyway, these look bigger and wider than the present ones.  Berth 2 is Condor berth isn't it?  They were lengthening the berth so not sure.  If anyone is going out on Barfy or Libby maybe some pics will be taken, I am only on the return sailing to Poole next month so will be dark!!  I think possibly new fendering as a result of Libby damaging herself that time?   These look like huge black squares.

6 hours ago, Khaines said:

I think maybe they are replacing the fenders anyway, these look bigger and wider than the present ones.  Berth 2 is Condor berth isn't it?  They were lengthening the berth so not sure.  If anyone is going out on Barfy or Libby maybe some pics will be taken, I am only on the return sailing to Poole next month so will be dark!!  I think possibly new fendering as a result of Libby damaging herself that time?   These look like huge black squares.

Thanks for this.  I remain of opinion that the aim is to make RoRo2 more versatile and able to take a wider range of ships than a comparatively small vessel like Condor Lib.  This HSC can also use RoRo3 at Poole.  Indeed the first time I saw her that was where she was.  But maybe we're going off topic and further discussion should be in the South Quay thread.

Condor Liberation is in the news again, having crashed into a pontoon in Guernsey earlier today. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-guernsey-39799479

It was a typical bank holiday too, with sailings cancelled due to winds being too high for the Liberation to berth in the Islands. 

There was some hope on the horizon over the weekend when there were reports of a new ship but this is likely to be just for inter island services. 

http://guernseypress.com/news/2017/05/01/is-condor-interested-in-41-seat-gardian/

Edited by 102
  • 2 months later...

Re wave height Liberation 

I'm not sure if it is an increase from what it was, but this 3.1 metres wave height limit for Libby is below the 3.5 metres limit  for the incats and way below the vessel's projected 5 metres limit mentioned in pre launch marketing material.

Edited by Nick Hyde

In the 1st year (2015) she was limited to 3.5 metres but we were told tests were going to be done later where it was hoped to be increased to 5 metres. Not sure why MCA has limited it to only 3.1 metres. This is now 28 months after entry into service too. 

Edited by Nick Hyde

I still maintain that, having been on her myself in very bad weather, a higher wave height would be VERY counterproductive.  She is already very uncomfortable for a lot of people with what she is at the moment, so why DO people want an increase?

Yes, this has been said time after time, we KNOW that it was claimed she can handle higher waves, but truth is, she and large waves do not agree.  People know what she is like now in rough weather, so why would people actually WANT an even more uncomfortable crossing than she provides now when it is lumpy.   Any reason other than the claim about her ability to handle higher waves that people can explain?  Why exactly is it necessary for restrictions on her wave heights to be upped?  She will no doubt end up with further cancellations due to her going tech.  As she will most likey react to it!

But why has she currently got a lower wave height than the incat vessels? If anything Libby should have a slightly higher limit. She has the benefits of being monohull with stabiliser outrigger hulls. This gives added stability.

I think, Brigitte, that is a perfectly reasoned argument to demonstrate why she is not suitable to be the answer to the need of the islands for a relable year-round lifeline service. Peak season supplementary sailigs, yes, she'd be in her element.

They definitely do need a conventional as well - what will happen when Clipper is retired, how long has she got before she has to move on?  What will happen then.  I agree, having experienced Libby in rough seas, she is more suitable for summer sailings only like NEX.